Author Topic: 2nd rifle done, comments please  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
2nd rifle done, comments please
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
I finally finished by second rifle. a tennesse style halfstock.  It has a 36", 3/4", .36 caliber Green Mountain barrel and Chamber's late Ketland lock.  I have sightly reshaped a set of Davis double set triggers.  I used a Bean style buttplate and trigger guard.  I narrowed and tapered the bow on trigger guard as it looked too wide on the stock.  I made the side plate as I didn't like the one that I had purchased.  I used a TVM patchbox with I reshaped to round the ends.  I have yet to make the patchbox sprigs.  I poured the nose cap using lead free plumber's solder. The underrib is maple.  The metal parts were browned using the browing solution from Davis.  The stock was stained using Klein's orange and golden brown stains.  The finish is Permalyn sealer and Wakhon Bay's Tru-Coat.  Almost all the parts were supplied by Troy from Stonewall Creek Outfitters.

Any comments would be appricate, especially regarding the overall architecture of the gun.  My inletting skills aren't that great, so try to over look that, but I am really interested on how to improve.

Thanks in advance, Tim

Offline wattlebuster

Re: 2nd rifle done, comments please
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:33:43 PM »
Looks pretty good to me. I like the dark stain :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »
If there are mistakes, they work to your advantage -- looks like the real deal to me.  You really got the bold shaping right for the genre, to my untrained eye, and you didn't go overboard on finish or ornamentation.  There are many people that know a lot more than I do, so listen to their criticisms if they have any to offer, but I like it a LOT.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »
Tim,
Looks to me that you made yourself a real fine shooting piece.  I love that you did a TN halfstock.  I've seen plenty of originals but few contempories.   Great job!  I think you captured the architechure very well.  Nice job modifying the triggers.  They look much more like originals than a standard Davis DST-4.  The maple under rib is also a real nice original touch too.  Overall an outstanding piece that captures the style very well. 
Cheers,
Ken

P.S.  Why you putting off the patchbox spring? 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Martin_G

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
Hi Tim,

I think your rifle looks nice and IMO it also has an antique look to it rather than looking brand new!

The color you chose works well too.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
I think you did a nice job on your rifle. I like the look of half stock rifles myself. I think the poured cap looks nice also.
Marc

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 01:06:14 AM »
Tim,

That looks like a sweetheart of a rifle.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 01:13:55 AM »
Squirrel's, gotta be leaving the county in fear for their lives.  That's one sweet tree rat killer.  Troy is one great guy to work with.  You did fine for number two.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 01:24:49 AM »
I agree with every one so far, it's a nice looking rifle with great lines.    Gary

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
Tim,
That is a great looking rifle.  I especially like the forestock treatment, e.g. long upper forestock and poured pewter bands.  It is a very plausible piece.  I like it very much.
My only comment would be that in the photos the lock panel look as though it stands proud of the bevel on the lock plate.  In a tight inlet you can break wood removing the lock if the bevel is below the lock panel surface.  The base of the bevel should transition right to the surface of the lock panel.  If it is the angle of the photo then I will resend my comment.
DMR

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:18 AM »
I like the wood ramrod rib. Used to own a half-stock caplock w such a rib, disremember anything else about it. There are a number of half-stock "Kentucky" flintlock rifles in Dillin, which intrigue me.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 05:21:19 AM »
Tim, Thanks for the pics. It is a really nice variation!! Looks like the real deal to me!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 05:33:15 AM »
What a great looking rifle!  I really like that half stock and the stain choice! I'd be proud to own that rifle.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
Thanks for all your kind comments.  I got to shoot this rifle yesterday.  I have to say I really enjoyed it.  I think that this be the one I shoot the most.  It's light and handles well.  It's my kind of gun, easy on powder and lead.

David, you a correct.  The rear of the lock is flush with the stock, but the stock is a bit above the edge of the bevel at the front.  It looks a little worse that it should due to the inletting gap at the very front of the lock.  It's one of those things that I somehow didn't notice.  I thought my second build would be better than the first.  I may be, but I think I realy only managed to make other mistakes.  Things that went well on my first build, didn't go so well on this one.

The biggest mistake was breaking the stock in half through the forarm.  I was applying the Tru-coat and letting set on top of the kitchen buffet, since that space get pretty good sun during the day.  Well, I managed to knock it off the top of the buffet.  After I cleaned up the stuff I spilled on the floor, I looked a the stock and saw it as in two pieces.  It was such a stupid move, I couldn't even get angry.  The break was very clean, following the gain, from the middle of the rear thimble, about 4 inches back to the top the barrel channel.  I just stained the edges of the break and used some Acraglass which was colored to try and match the stock and clamped the mess together.  The fix isn't invisible my any means,  but looks good enough that I wasn't temped to refinish the stock.  Iam still debating whether to put some pins through the break to reinforce it.

Live and learn, Tim

Offline rsells

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:30 AM »
Tim,
I like your rifle a bunch.  I would say the "Tennessee Bug" has bit you!  Keep up the good work.  Southern rifles are graceful and close to a lot of our hearts.
                                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
     Good color and finish, excellent shape, looks good to me. Mistakes, sounds like you learned more from this build than you did your first build, you even learned to repair things. ;) So now, whats next?     Good Luck   AL
Alan K. Merrill

msw

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »
Great looking rifle!  I like, especially, the wood underrib.  How did you attach it?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »
Tim.....I think that is really a neat looking gun.     I like your treatment of the forend of the stock, it isn't short and stubby.
Also like the fact that you had the innovative notion to put a wooden underrib on it...........something I often thought
about doing.   Also, it is difficult to build a good looking gun aroound a 3/4" barrel , you pullled this off beautifully.......
Don

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:12:51 PM »
I liked the way the forestock turned out as well.  After I had the stock shaped, I started drawing the nosecap.  I drew it serveral times.  It seemed like the longer forend made the rifle flow better.  When I drew it shorter, it looked like you said, short and stubby.  So, I made it long and I think it came out well.  The suggestions that many have given on the forum is good.  Draw it, look at it, if you like it, walk away and come back later and look at it again.  If you still like it, you are good to go if not, try again.

To attach the wood underrib, I used four of the cast staples from TOW.   I placed two of them 1 inch from each end of the rib and equally spaced the other two between them.  I didn't think that part out very well.  One of the staples ended up very closed to where the middle thimble is monunted.  I had to shorten the tab on that thimble by around a 1/2 inch to clear the staple.  It all worked out, but a little more planning would have been better.  I shortened the legs of the staples, because they seemed awfully long and did not peen them in.  I shortened them to about the same the depth as the dovetails for the sights and just soldered them in.  I figgured that solder should be plently strong as I believe these to be low stress joints.  Time will tell, if my thinking was right on this or not.

After bulding this rifle, I am looking forward to building the next one.  I just have to start saving money.  It will be a TN as well.  As you have said, they have great lines and I really enjoyed building this one.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.  Praise from people that I respect, it wasn't what I expected, but gatifying none the less.  Tim

Padre Wullie

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 06:02:02 AM »
I've never been a big fan of half stock rifles.

After looking at what you just created, I can honestly say I LIKE that rifle.

Very nicely done.

W

msw

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Tim-

thanks for the description of the staples.  you're cleverer than i, by a good bit ( :-[ (especially when you know that i've used the same staples in the past, and it never occurred to me to do so now, but it's the solution i'll use in my upcoming build; an underhammer with a cherry stock).

thanks again!

msw

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »
I have used staples for barrel pins many, many times, however, I think if I were to do a wood underrib I would just use a
standard dovetailed barrel hanger.  I think I would thin it up, make it a bit more petite, but, if a staple works for you, fine.............Don