Author Topic: Bob Harn pistol  (Read 4561 times)

Offline elk killer

Bob Harn pistol
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
on the blog spot,,the pistol by Bob Harn is wonderful..any ideas on how he did the hammer screw?  what type of blank would you begin with? im talking about the screw that goes in the tumbler...
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline T*O*F

Re: Bob Harn pistol
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 05:18:55 PM »
Maybe it's a two-piece unit with a washer and a screw.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
Enlarging the photo it almost looks like it could be a washer and screw arrangement. The screw reminds me of a flat brimmed hat made of felt that has been tugged down while wet. I have a Buevais percussion lock that has the same type screw head arrangement. However it's screw being seprate and the turned hat washer is a machined part of the hammer. They must have taken a forging of the hammer and put it on the lathe to turn the feature. I pulled the hammer off to check if it was all one piece and it is. The pentagonal tumbler shaft is wild.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:03:38 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 09:35:23 PM »
Beautiful pistol. Is it an Ed Rayl brass barrel?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Bob Harn

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:49:28 PM »

the pistol is a close copy of  a william shenner.   Mounts are from sheet sterling silver.   Don't know who made the barrel.   The hammer screw was turned from one piece.   Thanks for the interest.                        Bob HARN                     

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:06 PM »
Bob,
Thanks for giving us an update. Its a great looking pistol. Interesting lock, who made it? Maybe a reworked Siler?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline elk killer

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 10:41:08 PM »
Bob,  welcome
you just turned the screw and then threaded it?
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Bob Harn

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 12:10:58 AM »
Dennis,   The lock is a reworked small Siler.       Elk Killer,  Yes.   Turned and threaded on the lathe.   Had the pistol on my table at CLA.