Author Topic: Knives and axes in their various forms in Colonial New England.  (Read 4378 times)

p. gannon

Knives and axes in their various forms in Colonial New England.
« on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:25 AM »
What types of colonial frontier knives and axes were typical of New England? 

Is there accurate reference material available that will address various types and styles attributed to different European nations and Aboriginal American sources?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Knives and axes in their various forms in Colonial New England.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 01:36:08 AM »
That is a wide open question.
During the colonial period most knives and axes in what is now New England were imported.  First by the Dutch and French then the English.  So trade knives and axes from those countries are what you are looking for.  There is a wonderful site on French trade goods herehttp://www.lanouvelle-france.com/.

Here is a ca. 1720's original tomahawk that is of common style and was found in the Mohawk valley in NY state.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:37:00 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

p. gannon

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:32:47 AM »
You have a reasonable point about the broad nature of the question.  To be more specific I now ask, referencing my initial question, as to the types of knives and axes that would have been utilized by those Colonials, Europeans and Aboriginals in a martial role cr. 1700 to 1800?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 05:49:54 AM »
Knives and axes would have been part of the militiaman's or regular troops outfits primarily for camp duties as opposed to being used as weapons.  Muskets and bayonets were the primary weapons.  There are a lot of examples of axes and knives being used as secondary weapons in the hands of Native Americans.  British and French "scalpers" would have been in common usage as well as ordinary butcher knives.  In addition to trade tomahawks as I showed, pipe hawks and spike hawks and polled hand axes were common.
Andover, Vermont

Mike R

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »
You have a reasonable point about the broad nature of the question.  To be more specific I now ask, referencing my initial question, as to the types of knives and axes that would have been utilized by those Colonials, Europeans and Aboriginals in a martial role cr. 1700 to 1800?

Thanks,
Paul

still broad as alot changed over that 100 yr span; however, you can't go far wrong with a simple ax style such as the one Rich posted as a personal hatchet and a simple wood handled butcher knife in a sheath.  There were of course different types of axes for different uses--felling axes, broad axes, etc. Then there are tomahawks and pipe tomahawks, etc.  Knives came in a great variety, and folding knives were very common.  Most common folders were simple penny knives [wood handles no backspring], early Barlow types, pen knives, etc.  Period references most commonly refer to frontiersmen/hunters knivers as "butcher knives".  These early knives typically had no fancy hilts, guards, etc, but were simple wood slab handled straight knives wih iron pins.  Fancy knives did exist of course and might be carried by military men and squires.  There  are books that can be referenced for both axes and knives--and google search the the topics, too.