Author Topic: Original Southern Shooting Bag with Contents  (Read 9758 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Original Southern Shooting Bag with Contents
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:24:10 AM »
A couple of weeks ago I picked up this original southern shooting bag with the contents. I'd like to share it with you all, as I think it is a nice set and worthy of comment.  It's like a time capsule.  Seems like the owner just hung it up one day and never came back.  I believe the button and rock may have been his "good luck" charms!  The bag comes from the Franklin County, TN / Madison County, AL area just about 16 miles from where Jesse Bean established his gun shop and mill on bean Creek near Huntland, Tn.

http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/vv150/sequatchie/Southern%20Bag/
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Original Southern Shooting Bag with Contents
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 01:42:50 AM »
How old do you speculate this original set to be? ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:53:00 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »
Sequatchie,
That's a great find! The powder measure looks to be made from a piece of river cane, is it?

The ball bag looks to be serving its second life as such ;D

I am sure Jeff Bibb will enjoy seeing this, hope he's watching.

Thanks for showing it to us,
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:47:15 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline art riser

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:54:42 AM »
If memory serves that bag was made by Joe Mills or myself... the knives are originals.  I might be mistaken but it all looks very familiar...

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:05:17 AM »
I can't tell for sure without getting my hands on the patch knife, but the grain structure of the wood in the handle sure looks like Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) to me. If it is Live Oak and if it was cut in Alabama, then it came from the very southern counties along the Florida border.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 07:22:04 AM »
One measure was made from river cane, the other from what I believe is an alligator's tooth!  One of the pouches is made from a scrotum and has two pockets which I believe were intended to hold flint.  The set also came with a scissor bullet mould with a sprue cutter.  I don't believe it is a contemporary piece.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline bgf

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
That folding knife is sweet -- added attempting an inferior copy to my projects list.

Offline art riser

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »
The ball bag and flint wallet were made by Joe Mills.  I made the measures.  The knives are original as is the horn. The rope strap was found at Mansker's Station as was the cloth for the bag.  The stone was picked up in the smokies. As I recall it did not work very well. The vent pick was fashioned from a piece of wire from a construction site.  The tow bag was sewed from old tick. Whoever had the pouch has added a few antique pieces.

There are any number of bags out there today that will fool even the most experienced.  Sequatchie Rifle please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss offline.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:59:20 PM by art riser »

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:58 PM »
I don't believe it is a contemporary piece.

Ooops!
Hope you didn't get stuck to hard on that one!
Any chance of returning it?
John
John Robbins

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
Rut row!  :o

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
I'm shocked!  But I believe you.  My Upper Cumberland friend Dr. Sam Barnes would tell say, "That's tuition!"  Part of the learning process.  I didn't pay much for it, I just thought it was a nice "old", "original" "shootin bag" full of cool stuff.  I'm a little disappointed but place a very high value on truth and honesty!

Offline bgf

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:42:41 PM »
I still think it is nice, but I wouldn't buy from the same guy again, unless he was also mistaken.  At least you got the straight dope here -- otherwise 50 years from now, our kids would be studying more recent history than they thought.

Offline art riser

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
It's a good bag to use and the original stuff is awfully nice.

Randy1944

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »
I really like the complete setup.  To me, the folding knife is outstanding.  I wonder if someone out there is making them like this one?  I have some old bags and horns, but they were empty when I got them.  It would be nice to have some original looking items to complete the set.  Thanks for sharing the items even if the "truth hurts".  Randy1944

westerner

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:46 AM »
Lot's of fakes out there.  The scrotum part was funny.

Joe.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:20 AM »
Yeah- one of my collecting friends suggested that the leather case came from the scrotum of some critter! Ouch!

I didn't pay much at all for the set, so I'm not upset.  He may not have known, but I'll be more careful.  I would still have bought it if he'd of told me it was contemporary!

Dennis- we can delete this thread in a day or two!

Thanks to everyone for participating in the discussion- I feel more edukated now!

Offline whitebear

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:43 AM »
For your investment you have two original knives and you now hacve the "balls" to admit that you were snookered! :D :D :D
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 05:49:48 AM »
OK,Art, I've got a question for you since you made the measures......is it actually an alligator's tooth ???  I don't think so, but what do you say?

Offline okieboy

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
 I would disagree about deleting this topic, this is a valuable lesson. Maybe revise the name of the topic.
 Not that my guns would fool anyone, but I always engrave the date (deeply) on the bottom flat of the barrel. Would it have been possible to date or sign these bags on the inside? Probably easier with the "balls" bag, but even with a cloth bag a small signature tag could be sewn into the seam to end up inside. This would guide honest people and if a dishonest person cut it off, it would still leave evidence in the seam. 
Okieboy

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 01:50:39 AM »
Sequatchie River, Considering what you paid (not much), and the fact it was made by Art, the quality, and the fact you like it, plus lesson learned, I'd say you did quite well.  As far as I've seen, none of the members here, on the Horners Guild, and the CLA, make any effort to promote an item as original, and are proud to place their Mark on their work.  They spend many hours of time making items to look as if they are many years old, but never sell them as being years old.  That dubious honor goes to those on Flea Bay, and some antiques dealers, out for a buck, that could care less about the authenticity.  I think that outfit has more value now, than before we knew where it came from.  So the ball bags previous owner was called Fred, but now goes by Freida. ;D

Bill
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:53:54 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?