Author Topic: Tapered Reamer for Wood  (Read 6907 times)

Rasch Chronicles

Tapered Reamer for Wood
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:55:47 AM »
Hello fellows!

Though I am no where near the craftsman many of you already are, I aspire to, at the very least, move from mediocre to adequate sometime in the next decade or so.

Ummm, I'm embarassed to admit that I have tried my hand at making a couple of horns, but let's just say that the expression, "You have to start somewhere." is perfectly applicable in my case! While cobbleing up the second one, which I might add isn't finished yet due to my return to Afghanistan, I was in need of a tapered reamer, and after a bit of thought came up with the following:

It worked very well, surprising even me. I imagine that you could conceivably make these in any size and angle that might suit you. It even occured to me that one could make the reamer useing a properly ground file, or even tool steel. That is to say make the tool and cut a kerf wide enough to set the metal "blade" in.

As I learn to use the ALR Forum, I will add any other projects that might be applicable.

The following link will take you the whole construction of the Tapered Reamer. Please don't laugh, there will be more than enough for you guys when I get home and try my hand at a chunk gun...

Tapered Hole Reamer for Wood

My next idea is an outside reamer to allow me to make a tenon...  That should give me plenty of writing fodder!

Best regards,
Albert “Yes, I am still in Afghanistan!” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles

PS: Thanks to everyone who has posted tutorials here, I really appreciate them as do many of my fellow warfighters out here! AAR
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:33:40 AM by rich pierce »

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Tapered Reamer for Wood
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:33 AM »
Al some say neccessity is the mother of invention and I applaud your new tapered reamer.  Now looking at the size of that baby I would guess you're getting ready to 'tap' a beer barrel?   ;D  Hey, that's not a bad thing. 

Happy horning.
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."