Author Topic: C.C.AICHELE  (Read 2640 times)

edgy46

C.C.AICHELE
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:11:08 AM »
I am in possesion of a cap and ball rifle that was originally owned by my great great grandfathers brother. ( 1815-1888) the top of the barrel and the lock plate are both stamped C.C. AICHELE all in capital letters. It is a 36 cal half stock 48" long. I would like more information to pass on with the rifle when that time comes. I have pictures but do not know how to post them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Bill

msmith

Re: C.C.AICHELE
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »
Sellers, book American Gunsmiths, has a Charles G Aichele. Kendallsvile, Indiana 1867d.

edgy46

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:42 AM »
msmith

Thank you very much. My Father was born and raised in Kendallville, Indiana. Irecieved it after my Aunt passed. It probably passed to her from my Grandfather. The date of 1867d is this the date of his death? Again thank you very much.

Bill Wright

msmith

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 06:02:48 AM »
Bill, you are welcome and  here is some additional  info on Charles G. Aichele..Born 1834 in Germany died 1914 in Kendallvile,Indiana. Charles came to America in 1853, settled in New York, for eight months,going from there to South Carolina, where he remained until 1859,from there to Alabama, then to Rome Georgia.His occupation in Rome was Gunsmith.He evidently had Union beliefs and left the South to keep from being conscripted in the Rebel Army..He worked for Gwinn & Campbell Gun Company. In 1866 he went to Kendallville,where he started a Gunshop, which he operated until 1873..In 1871 he became head of several Fire Insurance companies.He was also a agent for Red Star line of Ocean Steamships..Mr. Aichele was elected City Treasurer of Kendallville in 1873...Wow, quite  impressive fellow he was......................

edgy46

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
msmith
Thank you for the further information. The timeline does not fit very well with the family story, but at least I now know who made the rifle. My Grandfather 1888-1981 lived in Kendallville from 1910 until his passing. Grandpa loved guns and might have known Mr. Aichele. I am unable to post pictures on this site(lack of computer skills), but have posted several on  allaboutpocketknives.com under guns in the off topic discussions forum if you are interested. From what I have learned. The rifle might predate the time Mr. Aichele was in Kendallville.

Thanks again Bill Wright