Author Topic: Pictures of Robert "Bob" Watts rifles  (Read 21534 times)

Offline elkhorne

Re: Robert (e.g. Bob) Watts
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2021, 09:48:57 PM »
D Buck/Timberdog,
Do either of you have a photo of that ball starter you are describing. It Is neat to see the innovations that some of our past master builders came up with. Thanks.
elkhorne

Offline Rifleman1776

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2021, 01:36:39 AM »
My wife has a .40 percussion he built for her in the late 70s. Wimmens always being a puzzlement, she decided to give up muzzle loading shortly after getting the rifle. It has had about 20 rounds shot from it and otherwise has been a safe queen. I'll take some pics and post tomorrow.

Offline Rifleman1776

• Starting Member
Re: Pictures of Robert "Bob" Watts rifles
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2021, 11:49:41 PM »
Here is a pic of a rifle built for my wife by Bob Watts. He built it in the mid-70s. It is a .40 cal. with Douglas barrel. I forget who made the lock, probably a Siler. It is 46" overall with a 12 1/2" LOP and weighs 6 1/2 lbs. The barrel probably should be swamped but it holds well. The stock is fully curled maple stained dark and the rifle has a beautiful finish. My wife was a highly successful competitive shooter but lost interest about the time we took delivery of this rifle. It has less than 20 rounds shot through it. Safe queen all these years but she does not want to sell.

Offline Rifleman1776

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2021, 11:51:02 PM »
I just posted a pic on an old, very similar, thread.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 12:12:25 PM »
Looks like a winner to me.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2021, 04:02:12 AM »
Bob Watts rifle from the early 70's

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2021, 04:09:40 AM »

Offline Timberdog

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2021, 04:32:01 AM »
Thanks Sqrldog. Thanks!

That’s a beauty

Offline Timberdog

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2021, 04:51:38 AM »
Elkhorne, very simple, but the hammer part is filled Partially with lead. Heavy. Lay patch, place ball, quick smack with hammer (leather face), cut patch flush with muzzle, use short starter, drive home with ramrod.  Simple genius.  Shoot a lot, much easier and quicker that slapping ball end of short starter...I’ve used so long only way I’ve done it. So used to it I have shorter version in my hunting bag. That’s a little overkill, but I’m a creature of habit.

Offline Timberdog

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2021, 04:58:13 AM »
Rifleman 1776 Thank you for sending me to this thread from my thread. That rifle has very pretty wood...my goodness. Is It just me, but his sights on his rifles are second to none. I wonder if I’m exaggerating, but his site always seem very clear and distinct and “fine”.  I can see a little bit of that wide rear sight in the picture!

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
Mine is similar, except it has a (real) short brass starter in the middle of the "wood barrel" to get the patched ball started in the muzzle. Usually, I used the leather-faced ends to act as a "plastic mallet" to tap on something without marring the wood or metal.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Ronnie Hill

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd share my story.

My dad had Robert build a matching set of rifles back in the early u0's.  Perhaps as early as 71 or 72.  My dad along with HB Aderhold started Muscogee County Long Rifles.

The two guns were made from side by side blanks of curly maple...one a flintlock and one a caplock.

I remember as a very young child playing in Roberts shop looking thru boxes and boxes of old handguns.

I can remember many nights spent at their house playing with his two kids.  We used to shoot at Carrollton at the Cherokee County Bark Buster's, a range in Montgomery, Briarfield and River Bend.

Occasionally we went to Tennessee for a match there but don't recall the name of it be we always camped out.

Robert also built a small left handed rifle for my mother.

Some years later dad had to sell the flintlock which he enlisted Robert to do for him thru his shop.

The matching caplock is still in the family along with a rifle my dad Ben Hill built and gave me

Me and my brother occasionally go to Muscogee for their annual turkey shoot although we haven't been in years.

Just thought I'd share.

Ronnie Hill

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 07:37:08 AM »
Did some pondering about the Tennessee shoot.  It was at Mr. Charlie Haffners place.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 07:49:47 AM »
 ;) ;)... Ronnie,... that would be at Mr. Charlie's "Owl Hollow" range,... also had the state shoots at the "Elk River Long Rifles" range between Tullahoma and Lynchburg TN, with John Anderson in charge and near Gallatin TN at the "Tennessee Longhunters" range at Camp Boxwell,.... Those surely were the days my friend,.... Regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler,...