Author Topic: Where to get percussion hammers  (Read 7862 times)

Rainman

Where to get percussion hammers
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
I am rebuilding a Belgian Double barrel with back action locks.  I need hammers for both left and right lock.  Is there any vendor besides Dixie that has an assortment of hammers?  They want $50 for 2 hammers.

Offline Captchee

Re: Where to get percussion hammers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:12:17 PM »
   i have had good luck with Blackly and sons 
http://www.blackleyandson.com/acatalog/English_Flat_faced_Percussion_Hammers.html

i also have orered from Petter dyson and son
http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/HAMMERS.html

both companies have  items not listed on their web site so if  you dont see what you want , ask

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
Blackley makes very high quality castings.
But the last time I ordered some from him, it took close to a year :o , and lot's of emails to him, before they finally arrived.

Also note that the prices on the two Brit companies are in pounds, not dollars,,, plus shipping from England, and you'll be over 25 bucks a pop for the hammers.

John

John Robbins

keweenaw

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »
In a month it will be over two years since Blackley charged my credit card for an order and I still haven't received anything.

Tom

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:42:12 PM »
I just ordered a right hand hammer from Dixie...$26.95 + 17.95 = $44.90 USD for a special Hawken rifle.  But I expect to get it within two weeks and at the cost of the shipping, delivered by someone pretty special too.  I'll let you know.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:09:19 PM »
Everybody that has them don't have websites.  Dick Chubb and Flintlocks Et Cetera immediately come to mind, but you almost have to catch them at a show or Friendship to match your lock to the hammer.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Captchee

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:34:35 AM »
 never had an issue with my orders . but i have only used eather of them a couple times .
 but i also make it a rule that if a part isnt in stock , i dont buy it . be it with the rifle shop , ToW or any other person
 yes the price is in british lbs .
as to the cost ??? well  it all depends on what your building doesnt it
 as was said Dixie also has hammers  so if those will work for you  then why go somewhere .
 but if one wants something specific , well then what are you going to do ?

making them yourself would be an option .
 as a side not i do have a couple complete  original  BA lock sets out in the shop . i also have a matched set of large  BA that  have never been mounted . they are missing hammers though . and would  make a very LARGE gun LOL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:49:40 AM by Captchee »

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
I have access to some hand forged percussion hammers in various sizes. Not drilled & need finishing. Maybe 2 dozen of them. I won't be able to access them for a week but when I do, I'll not have i-net access. So, I guess I'm now wondering why I even posted this unless you are not in a hurry. It  may take me until after the holidays to reply with sizes & shipping charges. The hammers will be very reasonable in price. Just want to get them in the hands of someone that will use them.

Rainman

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »
Keb I am not in a hurry and I dont' wan't the holes drilled in them.  I will be interested when you can get them.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »
Taylor,

Are you dating the UPS driver?  ???
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
Taylor,

Are you dating the UPS driver?  ???

Either that, or Santa hisself! ;D

John
John Robbins

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 07:04:13 PM »
Kevin Blackleyand son  percussion hammers cost approx £15 sterling, I have always found Kevin prompt with my orders delivered with in 24 hours but then I live in the UK.
Feltwad

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
No, I'm happily married these 38 years, but I have to say, my delivery girl is certainly "inspiring".  There's actually a couple of them - one brunette, and one blonde.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Dave K

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 02:01:29 AM »
I have got them Track of the Wolf and Dixie, If I don't pick them up at Friendship or the CLA show. I always just buy them in pairs and replace them in pairs. I can't say I ever did find a match to the one still on the gun. But I sure am accumulating a good number of orphan hammers.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 02:22:35 AM »
Keb I am not in a hurry and I dont' wan't the holes drilled in them.  I will be interested when you can get them.
Tell me what size you need & how many. 1 set - right & left, right? I'll be where they are next week & can go thru them to see what sizes there are.

Rainman

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 04:23:41 AM »
1.5 to 1 and 5/8th's,  Left and right .

Rainman

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 05:59:17 AM »
ttt