Author Topic: Flying...with my barrel?  (Read 4401 times)

Offline Ezra

Flying...with my barrel?
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:13:46 AM »
Anyone ever flown and had a barrel in checked luggage?  Sounds kooky, I know, but thought I'd ask.  I am going to Connor Prairie and don't know whether to mail it or take it with me.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Dave B

Re: Flying...with my barrel?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:26:42 AM »
Hey I flew out to a KRA meeting this summer and got a 44" rice barrel and parts at Dixons and one of there limited edition crockery pots. All of the gun parts  went into my checked baggage with out any trouble. I did carry on the Crockery though. I also must confess that I took out three rifles with me and the barrel was in my 70" rifle case on the return trip.
They didnt charge me for over sized bagage either like they could have. I have also flown using one of their triangular boxes for a stick of wood that I flew with back to CWF and traded for some more that I returned home with. Of course that was when you could check two bags with out an extra charge.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 04:45:32 AM »
Ezra,
     I would give the airlines a call and ask about carrying on the barrel.  I doubt you will be able to.  I would probably mail it, would be cheaper.  I brought a barrel back from Dixon's this year.  It was my only check in so I did not have to pay extra.  I bought a fly fishing tube from Cabelas for $13.00 and put the barrel in it.  You could use a gun case. 
     Have fun while at Conner Prarie.  I attended that event about 12 or so years ago.  Glenn Sutt from Lacey, Wa. will be there, be sure to say hi to him, he is a great guy.  I don't know if you know hime or not.
DMR 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:08:16 AM »
Anyone ever flown and had a barrel in checked luggage?  Sounds kooky, I know, but thought I'd ask.  I am going to Connor Prairie and don't know whether to mail it or take it with me.

Ez

Check size restrictions. Some airlines charge really high for over sized stuff.
Airline or mail is likely to bend it unless its is a stiff container.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Black Hand

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:27:52 PM »
I went to Florida with a poster in a 48" tube and I wouldn't listen to the fluffy-headed person behind the counter who told me I would need to check it.  If fit right into the overhead compartments.....

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »
Be mindful the airport staff are 10 times worse than postal staff when they here any  mention of the words "gun, rifle, bullets, etc".  Depending upon the agent on duty, panic has been seen to occur at the mere mention of a gun.  Our German friends take barrels and rifles back and forth with them all the time, but all must be checked now.  If it were me I would remove the breech plug and put it in my suitcase, then all your are carrying is a piece of 12L14 water pipe tubing.  You might could carry it on that way, barring any size restrictions of course. 
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 01:51:04 AM »
The logic of  security being they don't want someone assembling a weapon on the aircraft, I wouldn't recommend representing it as  pipe and try carrying it on.  Besides, a barrel makes a pretty good weapon /club.   Checking it as pipe is not a problem however, nor is checking a gun in baggage.  Just a little hassle at the counter so leave plenty of time for TSA baggage checkers to determine you are in compliance. 

Traveled with 4 guns in one case not long ago.  Big city security is more excitable than small towns used to seeing hunters arrive.