Author Topic: Load Experiment with Swiss.  (Read 16540 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Load Experiment with Swiss.
« on: October 06, 2008, 02:32:15 AM »
In anticipation of an upcoming muzzleloading bull elk hunt I decided to tinker with the new powder on hand in my .54 Haines.  Previous loads had been for 80gr of FFg Goex which were semi stiff but accurate loads out to 100yds but a little low on the bull with the sights on the rifle.  Ran out of GOEX and have a couple pounds of Swiss FFg.  Eighty grains  Swiss was a little faster judging from recoil and it brought the point of impact up a couple inches.  Naturally I couldn't be satisfied with having attained almost all of what I wanted.  So I tried 90gr of Swiss FFg.  Holy Cow!!!  The rifle rotated upward taking the foreand out of my left hand, and delivering a pretty good smackl to the face.  Double checked my measure and tried it 4 more times.  Same result.  That Swiss is definitely more potent than GOEX as 90 grains of GOEX had previously been tried and wasn't anywhere near the recoil.   It also raised the point of impact 5 inches at 100yds.  I think the 80grain load will do just fine.  But the big difference with just a 10grain increment surprised me .  I have a can of 1 1/2Fg Swiss bought for use in .45-110 Sharps.  Be interesting to see how that reacts in the flintlock.  Certainly would not recommend a FFFg load of 80 or 90 grains Swiss in a similar rifle. 

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Load Experiment with Swiss.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:47:02 AM »
It is the best in the world.   I understand that you should cut your charge 15% if you are sighted in with the Goex etc if you start using the Swiss!

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:54:29 AM »
 80gr. in a .54 sounds a might weak imho. Yes it will kill an elk - even do it from a pistol, but not my idea of a flat shooting, hard hitting load. It should be about the same as 100gr. of 2f GOEX which is about 15gr. to 20gr. below my minimum for a good hunting load in .54's and larger.  As to the recoil, shoot something a LOT bigger and you'll wonder why you thought the .54 kicked.  This was John Buhmiller's recommendation and one I found worked.  In a normal ML rifle, I find 110gr. of 2f kicks about like a .30/06 from a heavy rifle.  Of course, poor but design with hooks and narrow profile amplifies felt recoil.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Daryl,  I am a pretty well experienced shooter of heavy caliber firearms and understand perfectly what heavy recoil is in modern rifles.  The point of my post is that a 10gr increase in the FFg powder charge made a very large change in recoil and apparently in velocity so as to hit 4 -5 inches higher at 100 yds.  The 80gr charge is close enough to the point of aim for my hunting purposes.  A heavier charge would require quite a bit of sight work.   I don't anticipate taking a shot beyond 100yds and feel the 80grains of Swiss will  deliver sufficient penetration at that range.  Also, the Isaac Haines I have is pretty light for nice carry in the woods but is about a lb light for the caliber in my estimation. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:00:52 AM »
80 gr of FFG is pretty light in a 54.
90 gr of FFFG Swiss in my 54 gets near 1900 fps but causes no pain.
So 90 gr of FFG should not be terribly hot. If it caused a smack to the face the stock is not designed properly.
I shoot 140-150 in my 16 bore rifle. 150 gives about 1650 fps by the last chrono session. It does not smack my face.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
You're right, Jerry. 80gr. of Swiss will kill elk, moose, small bear etc- but I still feel it's pretty light. "When stalking the spotted buck, be prepared to met a tiger". (couldn't help but to put that quote in)

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:20 PM »
Let me phase this as a question.  Has anyone experienced a modest change in load creating a disproportionately larger change in velocity?  I expected to find increases in the powder charge would  increase  velocity but with a diminishing return.  This 10gr certainly seemed to have increased the velocity at more than equal terms.  Wish I had a chrono to check the velocity but have to judge it from point of impact changes and recoil. 

I agree stock design may be a problem if your face is getting smacked.  Too light a rifle for the load can also be the problem.  The rifle is a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines in .54 caliber 38" and is very pleasant up through 80 grains Swiss.  The stock dimensions are very close to modern shotguns standards for drop at comb and heel so I won't fault the stock.  Currently building another from blank with a  .54 caliber 42" barrel which will be a bit more weight forward and a little heavier overall. 

Mike R

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 09:58:37 PM »
80 gr of FFG is pretty light in a 54.
90 gr of FFFG Swiss in my 54 gets near 1900 fps but causes no pain.
So 90 gr of FFG should not be terribly hot. If it caused a smack to the face the stock is not designed properly.
I shoot 140-150 in my 16 bore rifle. 150 gives about 1650 fps by the last chrono session. It does not smack my face.
Dan

I have not tried Swiss yet, but it must have quite a whallop!  I shoot 85 gr ffg in my 42" Getz barreled .54 and it shoots center at 50 yds. I have been struggling with my newer .54 Rice 44" barrel to find an accurate load [mostly my bad eyes rather than the gun], however in shooting lately I felt little appreciable difference in recoil between 90 gr ffg and 90 gr fffg in that rifle [an early Lancaster Chambers kit gun]--and in both recoil was of no account. 

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:54:42 AM »
You're right, Jerry. 80gr. of Swiss will kill elk, moose, small bear etc- but I still feel it's pretty light. "When stalking the spotted buck, be prepared to met a tiger". (couldn't help but to put that quote in)

Apparently G bears in parts of Northwest Wyoming have learned that rifle fire is a dinner bell.
They also have been mauling a few bow hunters who blow cow and calf elk calls which they also view as a dinner bell apparently.
They are telling hunters and everyone else in G-bear country to carry pepper spray....
I haven't bought any yet.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 06:17:12 AM »
Let me phase this as a question.  Has anyone experienced a modest change in load creating a disproportionately larger change in velocity?  I expected to find increases in the powder charge would  increase  velocity but with a diminishing return.  This 10gr certainly seemed to have increased the velocity at more than equal terms.  Wish I had a chrono to check the velocity but have to judge it from point of impact changes and recoil. 

I agree stock design may be a problem if your face is getting smacked.  Too light a rifle for the load can also be the problem.  The rifle is a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines in .54 caliber 38" and is very pleasant up through 80 grains Swiss.  The stock dimensions are very close to modern shotguns standards for drop at comb and heel so I won't fault the stock.  Currently building another from blank with a  .54 caliber 42" barrel which will be a bit more weight forward and a little heavier overall. 

Swiss should have gained maybe 100 fps with the same charge and granulation. However, swiss is more dense and the same volume will make for a heavier charge so a 80 grain volume of Goex will weigh perhaps 85 with Swiss.
The angle of the comb is important and this is often the culprit. Raising the sights .040-.060" will sometimes cure the cheekbone whack.
Most shotguns have combs that are close to parallel to the bore. Most Kentuckys have combs at a greater or lesser angle to the bore.

54 is actually a pretty large bore for a Kentucky style rifle, though some will disagree. The descriptions of rifles made at the time of the American Revolution seem to bear this out. Also rifles that have little use tend to be smaller in the bore than conventional wisdom "knew" was common in the 1770s. This is based on RCA calibers and some other writings of the time. Col Hanger, for example, claimed to have examined hundreds of rifles at the time of the American Revolution and states he never saw one larger than 36 to the pound, about 52 caliber. Obviously he was wrong, there are some rifles that were larger but these may have been atypical or rifles that had seen a lot of wear and had been freshed or rebored once or even several times.
Based on this is it possible that the basic stock design of some rifles is not suitable for heavy charges of powder with a 1/2 ounce ball since the originals that the patterns were pulled from may have been made as 42-44-48 caliber.
I once owned a 54 cal 42" swamp barreled rifle, it was what would be about a C weight today. It needed slightly higher sights to cure its cheekbone whack.

Dan

Leatherbelly

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 06:34:58 AM »
  Jerry,
    80grs.of 2fSwiss will work just fine for elk. Shot placement is everything.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:35:36 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 08:04:28 AM »
Dan,  what does your .54 caliber weigh?  How long is the barrel and is it straight or swamped? 

don getz

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 04:10:56 PM »
Dan.....with the amount of drop in the stock of the gun pictured, I would think it would jump up into your face.   The Isaac Haines stock in question has better architecture than this one.......Don

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »
Dan,  what does your .54 caliber weigh?  How long is the barrel and is it straight or swamped? 
This rifle weighed 9 pounds or more IIRC. I sold it (like a fool) to pay bills 22+- years ago. 42" swamp about like a C weight now.

Dan

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »
Heck you'll never feel it while shooting at game - Elk in particular I would bet ;D

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
Dan.....with the amount of drop in the stock of the gun pictured, I would think it would jump up into your face.   The Isaac Haines stock in question has better architecture than this one.......Don

Hi Don
The drop is typical Kentucky more than some less than others. Raising the sights a little cured the problem.
Note that the lock on this rifle is a SMALL Siler and this may help put the drop into perspective.
This photo was taken at the same time but from a better perspective, lens about centered with the mid point, and I think gives a more accurate look at the rifle. Drop the the heel from line of sights, as best I can measure from printing it is about 80% of the lock plate length.
I do agree the stock design was not perfect or it would not have needed the sights raised .050-.060 (IIRC, pic was taken in winter 1985/86). I sold this rifle in 86/87 its one of "those" mistakes one never forgives oneself for.

When looking at some original rifles I don't see how they could have comfortably shot the stock design with calibers much over 45. Others, especially some early guns are stocked to be more recoil tolerant. Could be the stock designs are closer to the larger bore Jaeger if we assume the American rifle grew from this source this could easily be the case. I am thinking Marshal rifle and similar.
The rifle below can make all the recoil most people can tolerate off the bench for more than 1-5 shots but its not a Kentucky and it does not impact the face in the slightest. A Kentucky would not look right built as this rifle is. Styled like most English rifles its stocked like an English shotgun and uses the same buttplate. 

With 150 gr of FFG and a .662 ball it is less likely to "mark" me with the buttplate  when held right than my 54 "Hawken" with 90 gr of FFFG and the rifles each weight about 10 pounds and the Hawken has a shop made buttplate that is larger and somewhat flatter across the face than the castings on the market. The Hawken is stock nearly identical to this rifle, I copied the stock. Neither rifle is a cheek biter. But both have higher sights than the typical Kentucky as many Hawkens did. Perhaps there was a reason for this aside from mirage?

American stock design was often predicated on how the rifle held offhand and recoil was secondary it would seem. Some rifles were built to a specific look, Allentown, Bedford etc. 
A Kentucky MUST have the proper look and lines. I am sure the Haines repro that started this discussion looks just as it should and this is very important since this is what makes it what it is.  But it again points out that the original stock design was perhaps not intended to shoot heavy charges in calibers over 45-50.
But a Golden Age Kentucky must LOOK like a Kentucky.

Drop at the heel, drop at the comb, pitch, cast off  aaarrggghh.
Dan

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »
I have an 32" getz barrel on my 54. When I go over 85Grs. fffg geox I start to get fliers. I tried all kinds of patches and get the same results.  I shoot a 535 ball and a .015 patch of blue stripped ticking. It loads tight but not too hard. Shoots the same place with spit patch or greased patch.
 I can;'t figure out how you guys can shoot 100 grn. loads and hit anything at 100 yds.   should I change churches or what??
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:39:02 PM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 02:11:30 AM »
I have an 32" getz barrel on my 54. When I go over 85Grs. fffg geox I start to get fliers. I tried all kinds of patches and get the same results.  I shoot a 535 ball and a .015 patch of blue stripped ticking. It loads tight but not too hard. Shoots the same place with spit patch or greased patch.
 I can;'t figure out how you guys can shoot 100 grn. loads and hit anything at 100 yds.   should I change churches or what??
Well now ol boy there is blue and white ticking and there is blue and white ticking.  Most of it that I have seen looks good but ain't (kinda like that neighbor lady ;D)  Take your ticking outside in the bright sunlight stretch it 'tween both thumbs, hold it up to the sun and look at it.  If your ticking looks like a sieve it's too loosely woven.  I have seen plenty like that. You need more of a thread count seems like! Get hold of some tightly wove 100 % cotton of course and go to .020 thickness.  Since you state she opened up over 85 fff I would judge that is your problem.  Been there and done that ;D  Keep us all posted!

boman

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »
  On the topic of 80grs. Swiss being hotter than 80grs. Goex I simply don't know but since BP is measured by volume rather than weight I can't imagine the big differences in impact on the shoulder or target but you did the shooting, not me.

120grns fffg behind a round ball is the regular hunting load around here for hunting Indiana whitetails.  there are 3 54's built off of robideaux prints with sharon 36in 1/72 flat rifling barrels.  My rifle has a .62 Sharon barrel built the same way.  I  shoot 140gr fffg. 
  all these guns recoil and can give one a sore shoulder after about 20 or so shots with light clothes but based on experience we consider this a minimum for 100yd. shots. 
 85% or so of the 25 (give or take a few deer) shot with this load showed no exit wound(maximum energy dissipation in the animal) and most shots have been well under 100yds.  It will break ribs and shoulders on deer and they generally run less than 75yds when shot in the chest. 

elk are another matter---recoil or not--80grns, even 120grns. behind a 230gr. round ball would not be my choice for an elk at any distance.  ballistically you're down to 966fps at 100yds and 473fpe with 80grs and only increase to around 600fpe with 120grs..  In my opinion  If you hit the shoulder or a rib you're going to have a good chance of loosing the animal. 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:21:06 AM by boman »

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »
From all the chronographed loads I see in see Sam Fadala's reference Black Powder Loading Manual, it appears to me .54cal loads above 120gr of FFg don't increase anything significantly other than powder burned and recoil.  Another factor is the barrel came from Don Getz with instructions not to exceed 110gr FFg, advice I don't intend to ignore. 

It is not the question of recoil I am dealing with.  It was the 10grain increase from 80 to 90gr Swiss FFg seemed to disproportionately increase recoil and also the point of impact by 5 inches at 100yds.  That is a big change and I wanted to know if others had similar experience with the Swiss powder. 

boman

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »
.54cal loads above 120gr of FFg don't increase anything significantly other than powder burned and recoil.

that's been our experience also--actually 140grs. in my 62 is wasting powder by about 5 to 10 grs  when one looks at the benefit(it aint that much).  one other thing to consider with that barrel is that it is probably 1/56 twist and once you get up to or over the 100gr. you may see accuracy drop off.

It was the 10grain increase from 80 to 90gr Swiss FFg seemed to disproportionately increase recoil and also the point of impact by 5 inches at 100yds.

was the 80grs out of a clean bore then the 90 out of a fouled bore?  this could add to the recoil and increase velocity if your ball patch combo isn't optimal.  also I'm thinking 5in rise in impact could be an effect of the recoil along with what has been said about gun fit.  it's been my experience that with muzzle loaders a perfect "followthru" is very important in accuracte shooting.  I'm wondering if some of the rise in impact isn't actually a function of the recoil and not necessarily all due to an increase in velocity as a 10grain increase simply shouldn't have that much of an effect on trajectory.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 12:00:44 AM »
Boman you are probably onto something there with recoil being part of the higher point of impact.  As I said initially, the forend was pulled  out of my left hand on all the shots fired with 90gr Swiss.  I will be back at the range later this week and intend to try it again.  My long habit is to shoot with a relaxed left hand and maybe I need to learn to hang on a little bit stronger. 

boman

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 01:40:07 AM »

Good luck at the range!

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 07:23:38 AM »

If I grease the patches with SPG bullet Lube and cut at the muzzle, and lightly clean the bore (brushed and damp patched) my Douglas barrel has shot 3 consecutive shots into 6" at 200 yards with 90 gr of FFFG Swiss. With a sighter and 3 more before the wind got too high the whole group was still only about 10". Precut and oiled patches does not shoot as well at this distance but I don't need to wipe.

Its up to the barrel.
Before Swiss 100 gr of Goex was the load. This load has shot well in numerous 54s over the years. I had a Sharon Percussion Hawken that needed 120 gr of FFFG Goex to group well. But it was an anomaly.

Dan

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 06:14:40 PM »
Dpharris.
  This gun is not blowing patches . the patches look real good.  I went to a .018 patch and the load was so tight I broke a ram rod on the second load. I think I have found a good patch . now I will once again try a higher load. I think I will first go up to 90 grs.
  this gun shoots a good group at 100 yds. about  4" but it really goes to pot at 200 yds.

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.