Author Topic: trekking rifle(pics added)  (Read 11193 times)

lew wetzel

trekking rifle(pics added)
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
i just finished my trekking rifle this morning.has a colerain 50cal "b".chambers colonia lock,bivins single trigger.some of the brass parts i made myself.the stain is homer danglers "reddish brown ".and boy do i like the color!!taking it to kentucky this weekend to beavercreek wilderness.i will have the camera with me so i will post some pics when i get home...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:07:20 AM by lew wetzel »

Kentucky Jeff

Re: trekking rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 12:00:30 AM »
Somebody stole your hunters star!   :o

Black Hand

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »
Very Nice!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 12:09:55 AM »
Lew, that's a good looking rifle and I like your creative wire inlay.  Looks like your carving is coming along really well too.
Andover, Vermont

lew wetzel

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:24:09 AM »
cant find my hunters star inlay.i think my boy was using it for a throwing star.i turned the house upside down looking for that star.i made the star and i tried to make another one and it just aint quite right.so i painted it black till i can find it or file the other one to match up perfect.
i still have to install the patch box release and springs also.will do that after i get back from kentucky next week.
rich,ya i like doing wire inlay and the carving is getting alittle better,not bad for some $8.00 chisels from harbor frieght.

long carabine

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »
 Lew, that is a great looking rifle and you should be full of pride! I wish i had half the talent that you have. Tim

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 02:13:14 AM »
Ummm,
o.k. so where da pics ?
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 02:45:01 AM »
what pics are you refering to ,tom....

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 02:58:13 AM »
Hey tom the pics did not show for me until i hit the refresh button.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 03:07:23 AM »
My bad,
when I first loaded the post all I could see were the x boxes, seeing much betta now.

Like the color and the fact that the brass is not mirror polished, nice rifle.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Bioprof

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 03:22:57 AM »
Hope you find your star.   I had to make some replacement inlays for a rifle one time and it's a lot harder to make the inlay to fit the mortis than to make the mortis fit the inlay. 

Very nice job.   I especially like the wire inlay and the color.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:48:36 AM »
Make a larger star and inlet it rather than vise versa. There will be less hair pulling. Very nice rifle gun!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 04:49:59 AM by kentucky bucky »

Buffler Razz

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 11:37:50 AM »
Very nice rifle. I too like the color and wire work. Thanks for sharing with us.
Razz

northwoodsdave

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
Call me strange, but i rather like the 'missing' star, as if the gun had been used and the star lost years ago.  It adds character.

Beautiful gun! I know my first efforts will not reach this level or even come close!

David L

Dave Marsh

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
Great job and a great looking rifle.  Good luck on the trek.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
Lew,
You have come a very long way in a very short time.  Good work, you should have great pride.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
Lew. Great gun!  :)   I like the look and the color. I can see the influence of your trip to the CLA compared to the first pics you showed us. Your courage to just go for it is great!

for future reference a few suggestions.... purely my taste understand.  I would make the side panel less massive... reduce its vertical dimenson.  and add some interesting rdection in vertical dimension to the frontt 1-11/2" of the side panel.  I think you could do a little more reduction on the lock panel too but its pretty nice as is. take more wood off the bottom of the forestock....and take more wood from the top of the forestock along the barrel to show a little more than 1/2 the side of the barrel........... slender it up is what I suggest.. It is well proportioned as it is, but I like skinny red guns..  :o :o   There is just no accounting for taste is there??!!  ???
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

R. Hare

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »
Nice gun, Lew!
Look forward to seeing it when all finished up.

Tim,

Re. removing wood,
I remember what Frank House told me;
"Take off enough wood so you think you've ruined it,..........then take some more off!"

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
here are a few more pics of rifle.i could have taken more off the lock panels but i wanted them bold.the foreend is really slim and that is what these pics will show...

Offline acorn20

Re: trekking rifle(pics added)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 05:08:59 AM »
Lew,

Real nice job on the rifle. Are you going to leave the barrel and lock in the white or give them a finish?

Dan
Dan Akers

lew wetzel

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 05:16:49 AM »
dan,i usually brown the barrel and lock.but for this gun i am going to leave them this way.i actually started to give the lock an antigue finish with some browning solution.but i steel wooled it back with just an ample amount of a patina look.
  i am going to take a little break from gun building and get out in the woods and do some trekking and hunting.will start back up in december with a gun builders class i will be part of.for now its time to play...

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 12:39:42 PM »
I agree on the color. GREAT wire inlay.
Gene

Jim Thomas

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »
Lew, what is the trigger pull length if I may ask?     

lew wetzel

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 10:44:46 PM »
jim,the lop is 15".im a faily large guy and when installing the buttplate i worked it in where it felt comfortable to me.now i just need to get out and shoot her!!!!!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 03:59:28 AM »
Lew, It's a nice rifle for only your second build . I think however you missed an opportunity with the side plate you have there. It looks very modern to me. I try to get a 18th century look in all facets of rifle building , usually by studying originals or at least pictures. That's just a little constructive criticism.