Author Topic: Mould Cherry  (Read 29225 times)

Offline Captchee

Re: Mould Cherry
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:54 PM »
james .

i have a  original Stutzer rifle that shoots a cloth patched conical .  i was thinking maybe your tear dropped cherry may have been  an attempt  to make such a conical

Birddog6

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »
Here are some hand made cherries made by a passed gunsmith of Louisville, KY.  (Norton Gatz)  One of the small ones is a massed produced cherry, (maybe used for a pattern ?), the others hand filed & hardened. Most cut the same direction. Possibly easier for him to file them that direction ?

Still digging thru little boxes of stuff.  These were in with a box full of rifling heads that  is for the rifling machine he had. Various sized cherries & the double one of .340 cal one end, .400 on the other end, I thought was unique.  All were made from round stock.  Have not found any molds yet, possibly he made a mold for the barrels as he finished them & the mold went with the barrel/rifle.

Keith Lisle

g
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 03:48:32 PM by rich pierce »

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 03:50:49 AM »
Possibly easier for him to file them that direction ?
I dont know if one direction is easier than the other in regards to filing the teeth , Ive filed mine to cut "right hand" so they can be used in a drill press, lathe or with a hand brace driven in a r/h (clockwise)direction. Most rotary cutting tools seem to be like this, I`m thinking originally cause the world has more rightys than leftys...I would say this fellow did the same..with the shanks designed to mount in a rotary chuck..          regards..       Kerry

Offline Bubblehead

• Starting Member
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2022, 09:22:16 AM »
The pictures on this thread are no longer visible, any chance they can be saved?

Offline JBJ

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2022, 02:26:05 PM »
I'll second that question/request re the pictures. This is too valuable a thread to be lost.

J.B.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »
I fixed what could be fixed.
Andover, Vermont