Author Topic: Hawken lock choice  (Read 3584 times)

digger

Hawken lock choice
« on: January 16, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
I am contemplating building a Don Stith halfstock percussion kit. I was wondering whether to use a Davis or L&R lock? Just wanted some opinions and historical accuracy is important to me as well as reliability. Thanks

California Kid

Re: Hawken lock choice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »
I'd feel better about an Davis lock, qualitywise.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:43:27 AM »
For sure Davis. Quality is way better. IMO. Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
Even though I've used almost two hundred of L & R's percussion Hawken locks, I'd opt for the Davis.  The difference is the hammer...L & R's is not as authentic looking as Davis'.  Even then, if you are replicating a particular Hawken rifle, you may want to change the hammer.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline stoneke

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
If you are using a barrel that is larger than one inch, you should ask Don for an optional hammer for the Davis lock. He included one for me that better fits the geometry of the larger barrel.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 03:04:55 AM »
I cant say as for the L&R but I have a bridger hawken 54 an it has a Davis lock an I can say very high quality an very smooth an I would suggest one for anyone. good luck
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

wetzel

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
Track of the Wolf has the Jim Bridger Hawken lock by Davis, or the Siler Mountain Lock.  I have always had good luck with anything from Jim Chambers.