Author Topic: Inletting Dye  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Inletting Dye
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Hey guys, I have come up with a different approach to inletting dye.
I blackened a piece of sheet metal with soot from an acetylene torch, scraped the
soot into a jar mixed it with hand cream, FANTASTIC stuff.
Paints on easily with a brush, and removes easily enough to not stain the wood forever.
Also how about using old worn files for tool steel ( triggers, sears )
Best regards
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

greybeard

Re: Inletting Dye
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:06:41 PM »
Hi Old Ford,.  Old files are a good source of tool steel but I find them , even after anealing them, to be too difficult to work with. I have used them to make rifling cutters but for triggers sears etc. I prefer mild steel and case harden heck out of them.   Bob.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
The only place that I use old file steel for is for a "half sole" on a frizzen or "fire steels".  :)  The high carbon content makes the steel too brittle, even when annealed, for most other applications.  For other parts that need to be hard, I case harden. ;)              Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »
I made a knife out of a file but they are not only brittle but wear out a grinding wheel  I even tried annealing it in wood coals that I allowed to go out.  I believe a Nickolson file is something like 130 points as compared to spring steel at about 80 ???  Memory is a bit off.  I use lipstick a lot for inletting dye, and had an experience with a female store clerk when I bought some once that taught me that it is best not to try to explain things as her opinion of my preferences got more reinforced the more I tried to explain.  I think she was wondering why I was not wearing a dress when I bought it.  Oh Well ;D

DP

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »
Old files are great for strikers (flint and steel) and make terrific wood chisels for carving when you want them very thin and sharp.  I make chisels and carving knives from various old sources and O1, W1 steel etc but an old Grobet file is the best steel I've ever seen for taking and holding razor edges.
Andover, Vermont