Author Topic: Shreckengost, W. 101025-1  (Read 8570 times)

Offline nord

Shreckengost, W. 101025-1
« on: January 24, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »

Per Dr. James Whisker:

Allison, Thomas (1786-1836). gunsmith. Thomas Allison was a major western Pennsylvania gunsmith. The Allison family genealogy shows that Charles Allison (15 March 1748 to 8 April 1823) married Mary Blackmore (12 May 1760 to 1 June 1839) in December 1776.  Charles served as a private in Captain John Wall's Second battalion, Washington County militia, in the Revolution [2 Pa Arch 2 at 65].  The Allison children, with dates of birth, were: Samuel (6 September 1778); Erasmus (26 March 1780); Ami (17 May 1785); Thomas (28 November 1786); Abrilla (29 September 1788); James (13 May 1790); William (January 1792); Benjamin (2 October 1793); Richard (28 June 1795); John (2 February 1797); Mary (17 May 1799); Elizabeth (2 May 1802); and Charles (21 October 1806). Thomas was noted in the tax lists of Peters Township, Washington County, from 1807 through 1810. On 10 April 1810 he married Lydia Herring who predeceased Allison. Thomas remarried to a widow Mary Hendrickson. His first son was Foel Ferree Allison, suggesting that Thomas was apprenticed to Ferree. We doubt that he ever opened that shop. Rather, tax lists suggest that he remained in Peters Township through 1818. From 1819 through 1836 he was listed on the tax rolls of New Sewickley, Beaver County. On 24 February 1825 John Fleeger signed indenture papers, placing himself as apprentice to Thomas Allison. Fleeger then married Amy, Thomas Allison's daughter. Samuel McCosh the elder married Elizabeth, Thomas Allison's younger sister, on 5 December 1820, suggesting that McCosh may also have apprenticed with Allison [Rosenberger]. The tombstone records of Steele's Cemetery, New Sewickley Township show:  Thomas Allison, born 27 November 1786, died 10 August 1836;  Lydia Allison, born 13 January 1783, died 11 April 1834. Allison's will was dated 8 August 1836 and entered for probate on 16 August 1836. The will named his wife Mary, eldest son James, eldest daughter Ammey, youngest son Erasmus and youngest daughter Mary; and a stepson Benjamin [Will Book B-136].  There was no estate inventory.

THOMAS ALLISON, Gun Smith . . . on the first of April next, will remove to the town of Pittsburgh, in Front street near the Post Office where he intends carrying on the Gun Smith Business in all its different branches . . .  he will give satisfaction to those who may please to employ him.  He will constantly be supplied with Ferree's Best Powder, to supply those who may require it.

[Pittsburgh Gazette, 10 March 1810]

Comments:

So I'm curious,,, is it a Schreck, or an Alison?
It has the Schreck engraving style on the barrel, and the little pin things on the sights, but has J.H. Alison on the barrel?
I'm not that familiar with the two makers, so what is it? A Schrek, an Alison, or a Schreckison?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Its a Schreckengost, William to be specific. Mine (coming soon)is signed Johan McCamen on the barrel and McCamen's house is identified on the right side of the Putneyville map. He was not a gunmaker as far as anyone knows. . Thus we can safely conclude that the "Alison" block barrel signature was placed to identify the owner; his house is not on the map.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sure looks like a Schreckengost in all details, and a nice one at that. Seems odd that an owner's name would be stamped, as opposed to engraved, on the barrel. Surely they didn't make a stamp (a lot of work) just to add an owner's name one time.... when it could be engraved in much less time and with much less effort.  Wonder if the owner was in a line of work where he had his own stamp to mark his wares, and it was used on this barrel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does indeed seem puzzling, that the "J. H. ALISON" stamp is one piece, like a gunsmith would have had. I'm very familiar with the amount of work involved in making such a stamp (I've done it).  I cannot imagine anyone making one to stamp an owner's name on one rifle.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could "Alison" have had his own stamp. The "McCamen" signature is in script. Sellers list an" J.H. Alison" but could it be because someone knew of this gun. I have now seen many Schreckengost signed in script by William and all front sights are fixed  in the same manner with 4 punctures. Also the style of Williams decoration and architecture seem unique and typical in this gun.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Watt has supplied information (personal communication) that a 'J. H. Alison' was a shirt tail relative, by blood, or extended family, to the Schrekengosts. He apparently tried a variety of businesses and trades during his life. One, was as a lumberman. Did he try his hand at gun building, too? This rifle is clearly an W. S'gost product, and how anyone else's name came to be on the barrel is peculiar, to say the least.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 11:13:37 PM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Schreckengost, W. 101025-1
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
Having seen 34 Shreckengost rifles to date.  I am confident that this gun is a Wm SGost product.  To my knowledge Alison was not a relative, but the owner of a lumber business in the area where this rifle was acquired.  The following is a list of rifles made by Wm SGost bearing signatures of others.
John McGown (not the J. McGowan neighbor), Daniel Snyder (relative), J. H. Alison (not related), S.G. Schreckengost (relative), Wm Shreckengost for
James McClellen Troup (relative), and the famous swivel breech signed
Wm Shreckengost on one barrel and Lincoln Shreckengost on the other.
I've seen the same patchbox, sideplate, barrel engraving and tang on
other signed Shreckengost rifles.  
   Here is a picture of Lloyd Norris, gunsmith standing with a rifle he made.  In the backround on the wall, the top 3 rifles are Wm Shreckengost products.  Possibly all 4 on the wall.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:54:48 PM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.