Author Topic: Ron Luckenbill Rifle  (Read 11258 times)

Offline gibster

Ron Luckenbill Rifle
« on: October 09, 2008, 03:21:56 AM »
Thought that I's share a new rifle that I recently bought.  It is made by Ron Luckenbill in Emporium Pennsylvania.  It has a 42-inch Green Mountain barrel, 7/8 -inches across the flats and is a .50 caliber.  The lock is a Chambers Late Ketland Flintlock and the triggers are by R E Davis.  This has great carving and engraving as seen in the pictures.  I haven't had the opportunity to see his work until this rifle, and from what I can tell, he does great work.  I'm looking forward to taking it to the range.  Let me know your thoughts.
Gibster

long carabine

Re: Ron Luckenbill Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
  Ron does excellent work! i had a opportunity to meet him and look a few of his rifles at a rondevous in Pittsfield, Pa a few years back. He is willing to share his knowledge with you as i know from 2 phone calls to him. Nice rifle. Tim

famouseagle

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 03:15:16 PM »
Ron frequently posts on the forum as "Lucky R. A." and is, as you say, very willing to share his knowledge.  He usually posts photos of recent work - always inspiring.

don getz

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
Check out some of "Lucky's" guns on the Contemporarymakers blog spot....he's still busy turning them out.  He will also
be at our Lewisburg show in February, does some nice stuff.............Don

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:04:32 PM »
Nice rifle. It appears to be done in the style of a Western PA gun, maybe Allison?  At any rate, he did a very good job on a school of gunsmiths you don't see recreated very often.

Frank

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Beautiful rifle, love the carving, the only thing I might change is to make the lock panels thinner but that may be the way the original rifle was done.

Just the right amount of "aging"
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

don getz

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 12:57:14 AM »
Dennis....this could be one of Ron's older guns, talking about the lock panel.   This seems to be a phase we all go thru in
gunbuilding as we learn, and follow this forum, which scolds us for such things.........Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 02:14:40 AM »
I know that big guy and shot against him at Mt Holly I do believe.  I noticed that lock moulding also and I't be the farm he has corrected that detail.  Its just great to see our Pennsylvania boys keeping the building art alive and finely done :)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 05:06:45 AM »
     The gun pictured was built several years ago for Upper Allegheny Muzzleloaders to be raffled as a fund raiser.   I build 3-4 guns of this nature every year.  They are built using quality components, but have to fit into a rather limited budget that most struggling clubs have.  Obviously, you can not spend the time that one would put into a gun costing 2-3 times as much.   The gun was built, as Frank suggested, in the Western Pa style and is greatly influenced by Thomas Allison's work.   I have had the opportunity to study some of Rick Rosenberger's and Bill Vance's outstanding guns from the Western PA school.   There were some very under appreciated artists still working there in the late flint period/early percussion period...  Gibster, I hope you enjoy the gun, and DO take it out and shoot it.   As Don said, anyone that can get to the 18th Century Artisan show at Lewisburg in Feb will not be disappointed.  The first show was great, and it looks like this year will go well beyond that.   Ron (Lucky) Luckenbill
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard