Author Topic: It will make an outchee  (Read 3008 times)

Offline wattlebuster

It will make an outchee
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
It to hot to hunt so I tried an Alabama redneck experiment. I shoot all my deer with a .54 cal roundball at close range so I dont get to recover the ball to look at so I had to improvise. I filled 10 one gallon milk jugs with water an lined them up an backed off to 40 yrds an that is a long hunting shot for me. I shot them with my hunting load which is 110grns of ffg a .527 self moulded roundball a pillow tick patch lubed with bear grease. the ball went through 4 jugs an I recovered a quarter sized flat piece of lead in the 5th jug. perfect performance for the round ball. Being that I had 5 more jugs left I did the same thing agian an got the very same results.I would say the old fashion round ball will make a very big outchee.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Daryl

Re: It will make an outchee
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:59 AM »
That's a common experiment, with some merrit, if other projectiles of known performance on deer or moose are also tested. that way, a co-relationship of perfomance can be made.

A friend of mine in Idaho does exactly that on his ranch. He's found that that milk jugs of water,  with 1/2" plywood between them gives virtually identical performace  of expansion and penetration to what he sees from his modern guns of all calibres and loads and also includes .45/70 factory 405gr. jacketed ammo results in elk, deer, bear and moose.

Unfortunately, the nitroexpress sight was hacked and is gone now as that's where he published all his data. I have some saved, but since he isn't a muzzleloader shooter, he has no such data.  The value of this information, is that the resutls in this media closely approximates in what he sees in game.  Therefore, it should be of benefit to duplicate his tests with our RB guns.

The same criteria could be used - milk jug, plywood, mild jug, ply wood, etc., etc.  different balls, alloys, etc.  With a .526" bal in a normal .540" bore, just about any alloy could be used, inculding WW for deeper penetration if desired.

It would be very interesting to shoot Keiith's .75 into that media - as with any more than 120gr. 2F, he couldn't keep  WW ball inside a moose.

Dave Faletti

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:21 AM »
Interesting about the plywood.  I used 2" of wood after the first carton.  It didn't track real well with actual animals though.  I got less penetration and more weight loss on the bullet when hunting.  It is a handy way to compare bullets and see how they expand. 

BrownBear

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 06:11:30 AM »
Those are interesting results!  For comparison I've attached a photo of a .530 RB launched by 90 grains of 3f Goex.  It struck the base of the neck of a good buck face-on at 55 yards, traveled completely through the spine and stopped under the hide on the back of the neck.  There's some smearing from the bone, but the size is similar.