Author Topic: barrel contours and length for offhand shooting  (Read 5612 times)

Offline doulos

barrel contours and length for offhand shooting
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:18:33 AM »
What kind of barrel contours and lengths do most of you guys find the best for your off hand shooting?

Offline Standing Bear

Re: barrel contours and length for offhand shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:04:11 AM »
I like mine a little muzzle heavy.  Balance and general fit are very important and many variables come into play.  I only use straight barrels others swear by swamped barrels.

There are several ways to change the balance of a fire arm

Thinner barrel for the full length
swamped barrel
shorter barrel
longer or shorter LOP

NO single one is an automatic answer. Someone could get a swamped barrel in .32 or .36 that is 1" @ the breech and 42" or longer stuck in a stock that has a LOP an inch or more too long and it won't work.

IMO a swamped barrel is an expensive answer to a problem that can be solved another and more cost effective way. IE I did not like the balance of a friend's .40 that had a straight 13/16 .40 barrel (too light in the muzzle) so I opted for a straight 7/8 .40 and 1/4" longer pull. Perfect!

If he had felt mine it would have been muzzle heavy and he could have gone to the 13/16 barrel and shorter pull.

I also use a 1" .50 cal that is 36" long that hangs well.

TC

Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

northmn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 05:25:31 PM »
I loe the long rifle but for seerious off hand shooting I would go with a shorter barrel.  I have a 58 with a 32" 1" barrel and find it quite well balanced.  Personally for serious off hand I would go a straight 15/16 barrel in 45 or 50 and between 32 and 34" long.  One of the problems I ahd with the longrifle was that a breeze could catch the long barrel and blow me off target.

DP

54Bucks

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
There is no one size(length-profile) that fits all when it comes to choosing a barrel for a gun. I would  suggest you try as many finished guns as possible to best determine which elements you prefer. Even for offhand shooting each has there own taste. Kinda like a comfortable pair of boots.

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 07:39:06 PM »
I agree that it's really variable from one shooter to the next.  My favorite is a GRRW Hawken 58 cal with a 36" barrel tapered from 1 1/8" to 1", but my hunting pard absolutely hates the balance.  He prefers something on the order of the 54 cal Lyman GPR, and can usually pin my ears back with it.  I just acquired a longrifle with a 42" x 3/4" 30 cal barrel, and we're both anxious to shoot it because it feels "right" to both of us.  Go figure.....  We finally agreed on something!  :D

ERH

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
IMO I like a 42 to44 inch swamped barrel 1 to 1 1/8th breach 45 to 54 cal .But i agree with the other guys hold up as many finished guns as possible.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
The best offhand shots in the world shoot guns with muzzle weight.  Muzzle weight means the gun balances forward of the lock area or where the offhand supports the stock. Muzzle weight helps the gun 'hang' steady on the target.  Good offhand shooting requires some muscle toning and practise to do well. What feels heavy now, probably won't after 6 months of pactise and you'll want even more muzzle weight.  Body structure and strength throughout the body pretty much dictates what we prefer and most people want something different.

Gun weight and weight distribution is very subjective.  Suffice to say, 'feel' a variety of guns and use what feels best to you.

A short gun with thick barrel walls can hold as well as a very long rifle with heavy swamped barrel - the 'feel' is identical and the shorter the gun, the less 'barrel' time the ball has, so thus has greater accuracy potential due to less gun movement prior to the ball's departure or less need for extended followthrough - offset somewhat by the longer barrel's sight radius which should give advantage to barrel length - it's all tradeoffs.  Good muscle tone in arms, shoulders and back promote better offhand shooting - THAt is a given.  

Harry Pope, famed barrel maker and Scheutzen-competition shooter once said that a Man's offhand rifle should weigh 16 pounds and a women's offhand rifle should weigh 12 pounds.   No hooks, no plam rests today on our muzzleloaders and indeed, some offhand competitions will not allow body resting an elbow, all this changes what a person can handle - but - muzzle weight within a person's strength and build is usually necessary to do well.  

Try a bunch and pick what's best- for you.  

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
I would think the whole answer to the question would be different if you were not allowed to rest yout elbow against your body. Eliminating that means you have to hold the position based on strength and endurance. Much more difficult. More likely to pick up a pulse beat from that position too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
I'll be yankin the trikkers on my 39 1/2 straight 15/16th .45 (.46) for the next 2 days at Sheshequin shoot/rondy. If anyone else on here is going there I'll see you on the line. Yes she's muzzle heavy a tad; but not as bad since I operated on her. Loaded her butt ::) 8) ;D

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
The 3rd one down has the closest 'form' to Roger's - which is the last picture shown.  Leatherbelly is close, but mostly due to his 'form'. I did not have a side picutre of him to show.
The top picture is Taylor, circa 1976.