Author Topic: Hope for the old folks yet!!!  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Hope for the old folks yet!!!
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:22:52 AM »
A word to explain.  We held our Sunday shoot today and had 25 shooters and the weather was plain beautiful.  (Be thinking of days like this this Feb when we are humping snow and ice!!  One of our monthly matches is an egg shoot. We hang a chicken egg at 75 yards each interested shooter puts a dollar in the pot.  We draw 3 names (one at a time) and if no shooter hits the egg the pot rolls over til next shoot.
If one of the 3 hits said egg he gets 75% of the pot.  3rd name drawn today was a shooter by the name of Ollie Solt, we kept an eye on him and he leveled off his flinter offhand of course and scrambled the egg.  After pounding him on the back til both his artifical knees ached and shaking his hand a dozen or so times he ended up with $48.

Point is ol Ollie turned 95 in August!!! ;D ::)

So all you elders out there don't lose heart!!

chuck-ia

Re: Hope for the old folks yet!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:52:18 AM »
That is just plain great. I felt I was doing good today shooting a couple clay pigeons offhand at about 40 yards. I am 54. chuck

George F.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
Now I enjoyed reading that!!!

Offline RobertS

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Roger.  I try to read everything you write, as it almost always warms my heart.  I hope that I can be like you and Ollie when I grow up!

Jeff Peters

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:36 AM »
Rodger
Great story
75 yards off hand
Give me something to "Shoot" for as I grey out

Thanks for sharing
Jeff

northmn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »
I enjoyed reading that.  My father just passed away at 87 and we had his funeral on Saturday. He was very active until up to about 4 years ago.  His thing was fishing and he fished right up to when he couldn't about 3 years ago.  If I can go strong up to 83 that wouldn't be all bad either.  Dad was at one time the president of the church council in the small church he went to.  I always thought that he misread the scripture that stated go out and be a fisher of men as go out and be a fisherman.  To live to 95 is one thing, to shoot and enjoy is another.  We should all hope.

DP

jim m

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:34:20 AM »
have a friend in his 70's that says he want to go at 95. wants to be gored to death by a 6x6 bull elk while back packing in the Bob Marshal wilderness. BTW tell Ollie way to go and keep takin those young pups money

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 05:33:52 AM »
i would have gladly ponied up a buck to see old ollie scramble that egg....
95 yrs young,offhand,75 yrds.......priceless!!!        great story..