Author Topic: Ian's Rifle on Contemporary Blog  (Read 8479 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Ian's Rifle on Contemporary Blog
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
If you are a fan of Iron mounted Southern rifles you need to take a look at Ian's rifle on the contemporary blog today.  It's as good as it gets. 
Ian, that is one great looking rifle! Outstanding work all the way around. Is the grip rail forge welded to the trigger bow or brazed?
Ken

P.S. Special thanks to Art and Jan Riser for taking the time to post pictures everyday. 

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:57:17 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Ian's Rifle on Contemporary Blog
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 08:56:30 PM »
This really is a fine rifle.  Had the pleasure of handling and shooting it yesterday.  Looks even better in person!  Think the finish Ian got is just perfect.

chuck c.

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:25:13 AM »
Ian, that's another absolutely outstanding piece of work! Would you mind saying what lock you used and how tall the butt plate is?

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 02:48:42 AM »
Nice rifle Ian!! I need to attend those classes in Lodi so I can see some of this stuff close up!
Bruce

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:37 AM »
LOve it. The lock , the shapes. About as good as it gets for this type of rifle.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
Ian, You are an exceptional artist with wood and iron!The lines and attention to incredable detail are just fantastic! It's a work of art !!!!!!  ;D Keep up the gun work!  Dave R                 

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »
These guns are all about subtle features - the lines, the tang, the neat little touches like that cool 2-piece entry pipe/ tailpiece arrangement.

Another great one Ian.

Guy

eagle24

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
Another home run Ian!  She's a beauty!

Sean

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 12:02:42 AM »
Slick...

Sean

Pratt

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:24 AM »
  Hey thank you guys, glad you all like it. Jim and I had some fun with it murdering a bunch of poor defenseless cans and some Jalapeno peppers that got left in the back of my truck. Neat way to make pepper spray.
   Ken that grip rail is copper brazed to the bow, filed a post right on the end of it and riveted that to the bow, kind of dead ends into it.  This rifle was built with a overall feel similar to the Jacob Gross gun but definitely not a copy. The guard for example has a similar feel to it but the original has the bow and grip rail as a continuous piece. Back when I first saw pictures of the rifle in a couple of the books I always thought the guard was one of those forged from a single piece, but after seeing some good close up pictures more recently you can see where some welds came apart over time. Million ways to do these.
  Chuck that is a Caywood lock, I don't remember what they call them but maybe Ken will remember, I know he has used one or two of them.  The butt plate is around 4 3/8" tall

Firelock

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:24:39 AM »
     Ken that grip rail is copper brazed to the bow, filed a post right on the end of it and riveted that to the bow, kind of dead ends into it.  This rifle was built with a overall feel similar to the Jacob Gross gun but definitely not a copy. The guard for example has a similar feel to it but the original has the bow and grip rail as a continuous piece. Back when I first saw pictures of the rifle in a couple of the books I always thought the guard was one of those forged from a single piece, but after seeing some good close up pictures more recently you can see where some welds came apart over time. Million ways to do these.

Beautiful Rifle Ian, I love your work! (cough's nervously).......... is that copper braized to iron? Won't there be a reaction between the copper and iron? Maybe thats why the welds came apart? (i'm not familiar with the Gross gun).

Pratt

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
 I should have been more specific - when talking welds in blacksmithing we usually mean forge welds, the metal is fused to itself with no brazing material. If not done quite right a bad joint will eventually separate, which appears to be the case on the old gun I was talking about
  Copper brazing - I have seen a bunch of old iron mounted guns and other old items brazed with copper that are still in one piece nearly 200 years later. On these rifles the buttplates were often joined this way and take plenty of abuse right at the area where the joint is

Pratt

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:54 PM »
Here's an old one

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
Ian, You did a really nice job on this rifle. I like it alot. I really like the patina on the mounts.
marc