Author Topic: Jack Brooks Website  (Read 16159 times)

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Jack Brooks Website
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:42:52 AM »
A new website: next time you are driving around on your computer take a run by this one.
Celebrated builder Jack Brooks of Denver, has set up a new site and it is well worth visiting.
It is:  http://www.jsbrookslongrifles.com/
As you know, Jack has been building fine rifles for over 30 years and his work is generally well known, and received. He is very open to helping other builders and has in fact, taught classes in building at Western Kentucky College in Bowling Green, KY, where he, as well as others have revealed the mysteries of the trade, including some trade secrets.
He is a fine restorer and is academic in his approach to metal work and selecting the correct parts. Brooks has begun to build an inventory of rare lock parts which he will sell to others, on request. Some of you may recall that he produced a documentary copy of the grand Christian Oerter rifle that turned up in the last two years.
I have known Jack for many years now and if you happen to go through Denver, you will find him open to visits and hours of talking guns. A fine fellow, indeed; about as fine as the rifles he builds.
With my regards,
Dick Gadler
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:38:38 PM by Ken Guy »

lew wetzel

Re: Jack Brooks Website
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 07:03:45 AM »
the swivel breech pistol jack built  and was put on the cover of muzzleblast mag has got to be one of the coolest pistols i have ever seen.and the christian oerter rifle he built is also a great piece of work....

don getz

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:47:42 PM »
Dick.....we have recently received a table reservation from Jack for the Lewisburg show in February.   He and Bob Lienemann are going to put on a display, should be great.   Both Jack and Bob are super guys, look forward to seeing
them again.   In addition to those guy, Jud Brennan is also coming to the show.   Also getting a lot of interest from the
antique side of the show...will have what was the big room last year as a room for antiques, hope to have a lot of upper
Susquehanna stuff there.  I know some of the local collectors that will be there and they have a  lot of good, local guns.
Looks exciting.............Don

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:12:52 AM »
Boy, do I ever wish I could join all of you there in Lewisburg. That will be an event to remember. Don, how is the weather there in Feburary? I might just jump into the car and drive in for it. Something to think about seriously.
Thanks to all for your kind reception of the news about Jack's website. He has some interesting things there now, and is working hard to add more.
Be talking with you soon.
Dick

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »
This really is a great website. I really like the time that he has taken to share his knowledge. I have not read everything yet, but there are some really great tips and tricks.
Marc

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 07:26:08 AM »
Don, I really think this is a primo time for a show. I'm bored out of my mind in Feb. $#*!, it's pitch dark dark in Alaska, Jud Brennan' s probably coming for his sanity.

don getz

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »
As we get closer to show time, I will give you a rundown on who will be at the show....I assure you, it will be good.  I am
going to try to gather together some of my famous "barn" guns to show, among others.  Andy Knez is also working on a
new "T" shirt for the show...should be a good one.......Don

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:43:42 PM »
Don,
I hope you can control the weather. I sure would hate to drive from KY to PA in a bunch of snow. I am going to start concentrating on knives so I will have something to bring with me. Building rifles takes too much time.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 09:10:20 PM »
Say there! Did you say BARN GUNS? Don, any chance we poor folk isolated on the left coast can get a view of those via e-technology? Sure would be great to have a look.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 01:12:48 AM »
I doubt any barn guns will be SEEN........ but they certainly are HEARD of.

I understand Jack Brooks will be at the Lewisburg Show. I just bought a couple of his lock parts sets. neat stuff.

Two of my neighbors will be attending, Don Carpentier and Steve Apisa with their 18th Century Mochaware. This is lathe turned, slip decorated pottery. Very deeply researched by Don, who has spent a fortune traveling back and forth to England and Jamaica to excavate old pottery factories and plantations for shards of Mocha.

And Pamela Dalton, who lives on the other side of the hills from me, will be there, too. She does Scherenschnitte, cut and painted paper designs. Lovely art.

This should be an amazing fair. Even if the weather is crappy, people come to have a look. They just can't stand being at home, knowing all this cool stuff is waiting there for them to see. Great place to talk with your favorite builders and collectors.

Eric von Aschwege hopes to attend, if he find someone from NC to grab a ride with. Anybody we know live down that way?

Acer

Ian Pratt will be crawling around under the tables. Good to hear.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

don getz

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:40:56 AM »
I'm serious about the "Barn" guns.  I'm making plans to borrow back probably 4 or 5 of them that I made over the past
year, including the left hand 16 ga. gun......just to prove that I wasn't pulling your leg.   Tom, thanks for the pictures of
those two artisans, looks like some great work, I'm sure it will add to the show....Don

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:20:06 AM »
We are going to the show and could tie Eric on to luggage rack on top.  Might be a bit cold that time of the year, but Eric's a tough little bugger.  Ha!  Would be glad to give him a ride.

ddeaton

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »
Don, any more info or website on the show in Feb? How far a drive from Cincy?

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:32 AM »
I am just South of Cincy and I figure it wil take about 9 Hrs if there is no snow to contend with.

ddeaton

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 04:16:37 AM »
Does Jack sell his lock castings assembled, or any leads on who will?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 07:54:24 AM »
It is my understanding that Jack will sell them to fit your specs; if you want to do finish, as many makers do, buy the parts. If you want him to assemble and finish, I believe that he will do that, as well. Best to email (or phone) your needs to him and have him reply to your inquiry.
Dick

Bentflint

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »
Dang, that's a long way to drive from Kansas. The only show we have here is the KMA in Great Bend, KS. That's about 5 hours from me. I guess I need to start planing a vacation with the wife to see her little brother in PA.

Bruce Everhart

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
As we get closer to show time, I will give you a rundown on who will be at the show....I assure you, it will be good.  I am
going to try to gather together some of my famous "barn" guns to show, among others.  Andy Knez is also working on a
new "T" shirt for the show...should be a good one.......Don
Seems this here 'show' might just catch on seems like!!!! ;)