Author Topic: Bullet boards  (Read 7390 times)

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
Bullet boards
« on: March 12, 2011, 06:07:42 AM »
I'm gonna give it a try and make me one. Any suggestions? Wood, style? I have a southern rifle with steel furniture. I'm interested in a style from late 1700s.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline Kermit

Re: Bullet boards
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:26:54 AM »
When you make one, be sure you use the proportions of the Golden Mean.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »
To date they cannot be taken to that time frame. This may start a war with the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" crowd but the OP brought it in with his date.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
Since you asked how to make one and not a history lesson I will tell you how I made mine. Use a good hardwood without any knots or flaws. I have used cherry, walnut maple and oak. It needs to be as thick as the bullet is wide. experiment with drill bits in a scrap piece of wood with your patch/ ball combo to see what bit works best. most times you have to drill a size smaller and ream out the hole to get a good fit. Small thin pieces of wood tend to split when drilling so draw the pattern on the wood. drill the holes useing a backing, then cut it out...I use a 10 holer and load up two of them when going on a woodwalk shoot. I just use one loaded 1/2 full when hunting. Neuman has a couple in his book, a 3 hole and a 6 hole, one plain and one with crosshatching......I am not qualified to argue with the experts  so I will not give an opinion but they sure are handy!!!!!....Ed
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:37:33 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
To get the holes to be a just right fit for the lubed patch and ball, I use a long tapered reamer going to the centre from both sides of the board.  You want it tight enough to hold the balls without fear of them falling out, yet not so tight that the lubricaton soaks entirely into the wood, and you can easily push them into the muzzle with a starter, or the ramrod.  So, drill the holes, for example, a fifty cal. you can start with a 1/2" drill bit.  You won't be able to seat a patched ball into that hole, so ream it out from both sides until you get a nice fit.  A lot depends upon how thick a patch you use, so I can't be more specific than that.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 08:42:01 PM »
Like Taylor says.....tapered reamers.

It requires a bit of investment, but a few taper pin reamers of various sizes come in handy for a variety of hole size adjustment issues.  The ebony loading blocks below are for .32 and .50 cal round balls.  I drill the holes undersize and then use a taper pin reamer, from both sides, to precisely adjust the hole size to grip the ball (any size ball and any patch thickness) the way I want. 

I also use these reamers to open up the bores of cast ram rod pipes, etc.  The reamer in the photos below is a Number 8.  I use #s 7,8, & 9 the most and those three have been worth more than what they cost over the years in making hole adjustments quick, easy and precise.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:43:30 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:12 PM »
Since you asked how to make one and not a history lesson

Hope i didn't offend you with my post but he did ask for instructions to build a 1790's version.  ;D
Just thought he would like to know the facts and posted my reason for doing so.  ;)

DaveC2, those are stunning!!!
I have quite a few of your creations and I can envision one of those for my .32

Offline Down South

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:03:22 AM »
Correct or not, I wouldn't go squirrel hunting without mine.  They make it really fun on a cool morning when that action heats up in  these SE Georgia river bottoms.  I made the one I use about 20 years ago.  Made it out of cedar.  It cracked.  I glued it and opened up the holes just a little more with a reamer.   I carved a turkey's head in releaf on the top third of it.  I think it will hold 10 patched balls.  Art DeCamp makes some that are really great.  They have a death's head engraved in horn across the top.  Love 'em or hate 'em, they can be right handy! 
Billy

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:24:44 AM »
I am thinking a wood that doesn't split like elm would be ideal.  Sycamore is light but resists splitting also. American sweetgum (with the annoying spikey balls as fruit) also resists splitting but warps badly in seasoning.
Andover, Vermont

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 06:04:58 AM »
My rule of thumb is to match board thickness to ball diameter.  By the time you seat them with a little hanging out the bottom for ease of bore centering, the top is recessed just enough to "cut at the muzzle."  Leaves a real clean result with little tendency for excess patching to snag and dislodge the ball along the way.

KennyC

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »
Are there not loading blocks in the rev war collector book that would be late 1700's

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
Are there not loading blocks in the rev war collector book that would be late 1700's

PM sent

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
James,

Thanks for the compliment on the bullet boards.  The board on the right in the next picture is made of Kauri wood.  The wood comes from New Zeland and is 50,000 years old.  (It is "mined" rather than "cut" as the trees fell over and were buried in a bog 50K plus years ago.)  Interesting stuff to work with and I have made a few horn base plugs out of it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:43:14 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline BJH

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »
The easiest way to get holes the dia you want is to carefully file down a Irwin type flat speed bore bit. Drill a hole in scrap try a PRB. File a bit more and drill another hole. Check how much you take off the bit with a set of dial calipers. Till you get the fit you want. Drill down till the point starts to go through the bottom of your block, Then  flip the board and finish the hole from the bottom, and chamfer. I used to make a ton of bullet boards for my trade blanket.
BJH