Author Topic: More Custom Stuff  (Read 10284 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
More Custom Stuff
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
A fellow asked me to make him a pick and whisk set with some old ivory he had.  Here is the set, but with different style turned ivory handles...

And, being clever about having custom firearm work done for himself, he asked me to make a scrimshaw pendant for his wife from a small piece of left over ivory.  This one is sterling silver, with a garnet drop, and an engraved cross on the ivory platen.  The ivory piece is 1/2 wide.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:38:54 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: More Custom Stuff
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:14:50 AM »
 Holy cow Dave, you continue to amaze.

Tim C.

KennyC

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 03:03:17 AM »
I can't tell you which is nicer . So all I can say is WOW WOW WOW

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:54 AM »
Impressive Dave!!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Glenn

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:35:33 AM »
Real nice work Dave.  You're a very talented individual.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

C. HUMMEL

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:20:06 AM »
    you do Great work!
                               Ernie

seesbirds

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:58:24 AM »
Dave,

Outstanding work all around.  What did you use to cut the lines on the scrimshaw?  It's very clean work.  How did you ink it?

tuffy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 06:30:42 AM »
Holy moly, Dave. That's got to worth about a dozen atta boys and six round toit's. Excellent work.

CW

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Mark Preston:  In the picture below are the tools I use for all of the scrimshaw work I do.  I switch off depending on the material I am cutting and on the type of line I am looking for.  The cross on the pendant is pretty small, a little over a half an inch tall and less than 3/8 inch wide, so the lines had to be fairly dainty.  I cut them with a very sharp pointed dental bur held in the aluminum handle shown in the photo.  The inking was done with Higgins black india ink.  Luckily, this piece of scrap ivory was very hard (more like whale ivory) and did not chip out much as the lines of the cross were cut.

Thanks again.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:39:17 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

hawknknife

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »
Dave, Your talents amaze me.  Whatever the medium, you have conquered them all with ease.  Still love the officer's model you helped me with, it's a lifetime keeper!
                                                  Your Rebel friend from the deep South...

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
Very Nice  :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
That is just absolutely beautiful work, Dave; just beautiful.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

trimegistus

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
Id like to hear a little about the technique you used for the fluting on the pick.  Some type of rasp?  They look fantastic, I use various types of ivory in my woodworking, have you ever used walrus ivory?  It has a core that has a mottled almost granite like appearance, very attractive.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 05:47:19 AM »
David-in-CA,

Sorry, I didn't see your posted question until now.  To answer, the fluting on the handles is done with a small dividing head in a bench mill.  I polish it all by hand once the flutes are in.

No, I haven't ever used walrus ivory.  Where do you get it ?  (Besides from a walrus...)

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

trimegistus

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 11:17:23 AM »
No problem, i appreciate the answer!  I have been working on a grooming kit using ebony and ivory and those flutes would look awesome on an ivory razor handle.  I dont have the equipment for your way, but was thinking of making a little dog legged half round rasp to do it instead.  Walrus ivory can be hard to find, this website http://www.boonetrading.com/Pg26.html has it but I have never ordered it from there.  I live near Berkeley and there is a store there called the bone room that sells all sorts of neat item like ivory, bones, taxidermy etc... they have great chunks of walrus ivory there.  Id avoid the fossilised stuff, it doesnt look as nice imho.  Its one of the most interesting natural materials Ive seen, and it is HARD!!!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
Outstanding work!  As always ....  :o
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 05:34:28 AM »
Absolutly stunning Dave, way too nice to use.  Smylee

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 06:27:05 AM »
Smylee,

My mother had a set of fine china that she loved and kept for "special" occasions.  (That translates into using it once every several years.)  It was all smashed in the '94 earthquake.  We bought her another set and now she uses it (and gets to enjoy it) every day.

I make this fancy stuff and use the $#*! out of it.  What would I save it for?

Thanks for the note.

dave C

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:28:49 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
Thats a good reply Dave and I'm sure you probably take good care of those items too, its just that I'm one of those guys that stuff happens to so my stuff gets alittle more wear than most other guys. Its from lack of care or just plain clumsyness I supose but I'm too old to change so if I hade one of your nice items I would probably have it on display for company too enjoy. Again very nice work and best wishes.  Smtlee

J1776

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 11:53:03 PM »
A fellow asked me to make him a pick and whisk set with some old ivory he had.  Here is the set, but with different style turned ivory handles...

And, being clever about having custom firearm work done for himself, he asked me to make a scrimshaw pendant for his wife from a small piece of left over ivory.  This one is sterling silver, with a garnet drop, and an engraved cross on the ivory platen.  The ivory piece is 1/2 wide.

Your pendant REALLY caught my eye...
Reason being that we have a newborn, born on January 9th this past Jan. and his name is "Jack" and of course the garnet is his birth stone!
Could you get in touch with me about the possibility of doing something similar for my wife perhaps???

Great work!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 04:40:28 AM »
J1776,

Thanks for the note.  I sent you a personal message.  Congratulations on the baby !!!

Dave C
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:31 PM »
superb turning and pendant.  i have always loved working with ivory.  nice clean scrim :)

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:28:43 PM »
Really nice acooterments---great job.  Anyone would be proud to own this set and the pendant is exquisite.