Author Topic: Best calibers for hunting  (Read 38349 times)

Mike R

Re: Best calibers for hunting
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
With a .45 it is important to limit the range regardless of shot placement.  I once shot a very large, very old whitetail doe with a .45 over snow, beyond reasonable range (120 yards).  She was quartering toward me and the ball struck her low in the chest.  She ran 80 yards and went down, but was not done and required another shot.  Over snow it was no problem tracking her but otherwise it would have been very hard as the blood trail was intermittent and never dramatic.  I've always gotten good blood trails and one shot kills with bigger calibers.  The .45 has taken several deer for me, but I think shots should be within 70 yards.

I agree with that.  What we tend to forget is that the old time eastern hunters usually shot their game very close-up after running them with dogs and cornering or treeing them.  Even a .40 will work then.  Mucho big game was shot at ranges of a few feet to touching the barrel to the sides of cornered game--usually hounded by dogs.  Reading in Horace Kephart's Our Southern Highlanders [also repeated in Bob Plott's book on the history of hunting in the Smokies], at least one old mountaineer hunter clung to his MLer because the modern Winchesters in use then were "too powerful" and tended to shoot through the game at close range--killing or wounding the highly valued hunting dogs.  The implication is that they did not "load-up" their MLers either, because most of the loads I see listed here will also shoot through an animal--deer or bear.  The MLing rifle is a relatively close-range weapon for most practical purposes. Both open sights and modest ballistics make them so.  The modern hunter does not want to hear that and therefore goes to big bores and heavy charges.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
The MLing rifle is a relatively close-range weapon for most practical purposes.
Speaking of close range weapons, Bob Plott tells of one of his Plott ancestors that killed 175 bear (I think that was the number, friend borrowed my book) with his percussion bear pistol!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

BrownBear

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »
The whole thing is so situational that there's no one "right" answer.

Today I spotted a big broad deer butt (Sitka blacktail) at about 50 yards in open timber with underbrush, head down and feeding.  Started stalking sideways for a better angle, and it raised it's head revealing a very nice 3x4 Western count rack.  But rack, skull cap, eyes and nose were all that could be seen over that broad butt.  Two quick hops straight away and it was gone. 

I might have made a successful Texas heart shot if I'd been inclined, but I doubt it.  And I was packing a 58 charged with 100 grains of 3f.  Yup.  Just goes to show that a 58 caliber isn't enough gun for Sitka blacktails.   ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 02:06:30 AM by BrownBear »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2008, 07:53:50 AM »
Notice most of you reported your state having some minimum caliber or projectile weight for muzzleloading rifles for hunting.  Arizona had no restrictions on muzzleloaders regarding minimum caliber and the only restriction on modern rifles is it has to be a centerfire.  This includes deer, elk, bear, buffalo even.  Anyone else live in a state such loose restrictions?   They do have some minimum restrictions on draw weight and minimum width of broadheads for the archers though.  (40lb pull, 50lb on buffalo). 

Because there aren't restrictions, it isn't unusual to encounter some foul ball hunting with a .22 centerfire  for elk.  Ran into one of the State's possum cops who touted the .22-250 as his favorite elk rifle. 
He probably shoots them with a light...
We have mental midgets that use the 243 on elk around hear.
Years ago there was a local who killed G-bears with a 22 Savage Hipower. This was a pretty potent 22 centerfire 70 gr bullet as I recall and pretty good velocity. Story goes that some one of the old timers related seeing him kill 3 with 3 shots all in a bunch.
But one day he came to town and traded it for a 300 H&H.

Another local (well he lived down on the North border of YNP back about 1900) used to trap G-bears and shoot them in the trap with a 25-35. He also had standard poodles that he would sic on the bear for fun. One bear took exception to this and killed Frenchy. He then went on to kill at least one more human he ran into before vanishing. One must wonder if Frenchy would have died of old age if he had had a 45-90 or some such.
Funny the big fire in Yellowstone in 1988 burned out Slough Creek and killed about all the trees around Frenchies meadow but did not kill the ones right at the grave or burn the wooden sign or barricade that surrounds it. But the bears do scratch and chew it....
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

northmn

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
I remember reading the story of the largest MN whitetail shot way back when by an individual using a 25-20.  I do not remember how many times he shot it, but he tracked it over H--l's half acre and did not get really good hits.  There was snow on the ground. Took him a good part of a day to get it.  Another record I remember was a very large deer shot in Missouri. When dressed that deer read like a harware store.  It had a couple of slugs in it, some 22 LR and a broadhead, all healed over.  When we hear about the local that gets his venison every year with his trusty little rifle, I always wonder how many he lost.  Some are cool shots and take only good shots, others may not be.  One individual I was told about used a 25-35 on elk.  He also bought a box of shells a year because he needed all of them.
I think there's a reason the 30-30 survived the longest of 94 rounds and I still feel that while you do not have to go overboard a larger caliber don't hurt.

DP

Mike R

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2008, 06:25:39 PM »
I remember reading the story of the largest MN whitetail shot way back when by an individual using a 25-20.  I do not remember how many times he shot it, but he tracked it over H--l's half acre and did not get really good hits.  There was snow on the ground. Took him a good part of a day to get it.  Another record I remember was a very large deer shot in Missouri. When dressed that deer read like a harware store.  It had a couple of slugs in it, some 22 LR and a broadhead, all healed over.  When we hear about the local that gets his venison every year with his trusty little rifle, I always wonder how many he lost.  Some are cool shots and take only good shots, others may not be.  One individual I was told about used a 25-35 on elk.  He also bought a box of shells a year because he needed all of them.
I think there's a reason the 30-30 survived the longest of 94 rounds and I still feel that while you do not have to go overboard a larger caliber don't hurt.

DP

...and it helps to remember that the .30-30 has better [on paper] ballistics than any of our rd ball frontstuffers--for years outdoor writers have told us [in the face of all history] that the .30-30 is marginal for deer!   Keeps the MLer rifle in perspective.  Know your gun/load. Keep your shots in ranges where you know you can hit a small target every time. Use enough gun.

Daryl

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2008, 07:42:41 PM »
Ooops, 25/20's, tuddy-tuddies, forti-five 90's 'n two two's - this is going down hill.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:44:21 PM by Daryl »

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »
 "Just about any thing is legal in Montana."  Dphariss

Out there they figure anybody stupid enough to shoot a grizzly with a 45 cal roundball will only do it once.. The Grizzly will eat the hunter and the gun for dessert!!
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

northmn

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »
Its too bad in some ways that our legislators have to protect us so much.  Daughter has a copy of the "Darwin Awards" which makes very good reading.  A wise philosopher once said "It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious".  I know I shouldn't talk about those modern calibers, but they do help make a point at times as that is where our experiences lie.  We have been contaminated by them and as such cannot really help but to make some comparisons.  Its like those doing reinaction and the buckskinners.  It is very difficult to put yourself in great grandpa's shoes when you can go back home and sleep in a heated house with plumbing and a warm bed.  When the ML rifle was the only show in town the thinking seemed to be literally to get the best bang for the buck.  I really doubt that many of us really need to worry about the cost of transporting or shooting a 54 as compared to a 45.  Horse travel is another issue few of us know about and my father used to tell me stories about farming with the @@##&&&** horses (compressed the length of the symbols for his adjectives).   Also remember that great grandad did not get too upset about losing a gut shot deer, except for the loss of meat and cost of the shot.  Very little concern over the animal itself.  Mostly I feel that the use of a round ball is humane and effective within their limitations because we have overdone the modern weapons.  I hunt with my ML's because the 270 was about like shooting my yearly beef only I got less animal for a bigger cartridge.   We hunt for enjoyment and have different rules in doing so that includes making cleaner kills. 

Daryl

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
"Just about any thing is legal in Montana."  Dphariss

Out there they figure anybody stupid enough to shoot a grizzly with a 45 cal roundball will only do it once.. The Grizzly will eat the hunter and the gun for dessert!!

Jerry - that's called retro-birth control. It helps prevent that gene pool from contaminating the soup.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 11:12:58 PM »
The philosopher was Mark Twain and the Griz would use the gun for a toothpick!   I'll tell you that my .58 Hawken  seemed a bit inadequate when I had my size 13 Sorrel snopack inside a Griz track that was a good 4 inches bigger. I was pretty glad not to see that old feller.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Daryl

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2008, 05:39:36 AM »
Best grizzly track I've seen was a perfect imprint in firm soil. The left front foot (right track was skuffed) measured exactly 9 1/4" across the widest spot.  The cub was putting down a 5" track, normal for about a 250 pound fully grown black bear. Now, consider that cub's track will be outsized to his body so that would make it only a 1 1/2 old fo good genes.

Now, the best black bear track was in the area Taylor and I guided in.  I found that one when guiding a young German hunter who actually wanted a small bear for some odd reason. That track was 7 1/8" across and was indeed, a black bear track.  I'd want something larger than .45 or even .50 when hunting that particular bear.
: When hunting the spotted buck, be prepared to flush a tiger. I once tread upon the tail of a tiger when attempting to flush a partridge.(or some such quote from "The Sporting Rifle and it's Projectiles" by Lt. James Forsyth(1861)

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 05:56:16 AM »
The track I was talking about was in snow and was pretty fresh (no hard ice from freezing overnight). We were in the St. Joe Wilderness  in the Idaho panhandle where they drop off the problem bears from Yellowstone Park.  I figured that being around a Griz that was used to humans was a bad idea.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Daryl

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »
Oh, I don't know, they seem freindly enough to me and sometimes are almost constant companions when we fly-fish for sockeye.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
Obviously you can run faster than your fishin' buddies.....

BrownBear

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
I'm going to make two quick points and then drop out of this thread.

First, the facts of life about bearanoia

Horror stories and web myths lead people to do and say some pretty stupid things about bears.  Heads-up woodscraft, common sense and experience will almost always keep you out of trouble.  Do your part in relations with bears, and you're more likely to get hurt in your own home than by a bear.  Campfire ghost stories are fun for scaring kids, right up to the point that they panic and run into trees.

And second, a source for factual information about living with bears:

In many parts of the continent, local residents coexist quite successfully with bears with almost no injuries on either side of the species divide.  This site encapsulates a lot of really useful information about how that is done, as well as providing some links to other good info sources, including some great ones in Canada.

I'm in the "crowd" that lives successfully with bears.  We're an hour from the nearest city deep in grizzly country (aka: coastal brown bears), and we regularly have them in our yard.  I can't recall a single outing in which we don't see tracks or bears, often at fairly close range.  And in 35 years I've NEVER had to shoot one.  They've scared me silly a few times, but thank god they're there.  I'll shoot one if I have to, but thankfully that's never happened.  They're a part of "wilderness" to me, which is why I choose to live where I do.  Life would be really sad without them.  I just wish folks would devote as much time and effort to learning how to live with them as they invest in collecting horror stories, true or not.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 12:22:53 AM »
Ah you know you are spot on with that. Probably the biggest problem guys like me have with bears is that the ones we have contact with are the ones spoiled by civilization. They get used to finding easy food sources and get used to humans to the extent that they no longer stay away from us and then we manage to cross paths when it's a suprize to both. Still once you have seen one unzip the side of a Honda Accord like it was a paper bag you tend to have a healthy respect for Mr. Bear's wishes. Sure the fool left his ice chest full of food in the car but who doesn't have food scent around their camp? I guess we all just wonder if we are being careful enough. Same thing with people fearing sharks. I've done a lot of diving and never had a bad experience but I'm still not going on one of those pet the shark dives....There I draw the line.

Daryl

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 03:18:21 AM »
I just love this picture. The fisherman is my sort-of son-in-law.  I took the pictures.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 05:55:58 AM »
I'm going to make two quick points and then drop out of this thread.

First, the facts of life about bearanoia

Horror stories and web myths lead people to do and say some pretty stupid things about bears.  Heads-up woodscraft, common sense and experience will almost always keep you out of trouble.  Do your part in relations with bears, and you're more likely to get hurt in your own home than by a bear.  Campfire ghost stories are fun for scaring kids, right up to the point that they panic and run into trees.

And second, a source for factual information about living with bears:

In many parts of the continent, local residents coexist quite successfully with bears with almost no injuries on either side of the species divide.  This site encapsulates a lot of really useful information about how that is done, as well as providing some links to other good info sources, including some great ones in Canada.

I'm in the "crowd" that lives successfully with bears.  We're an hour from the nearest city deep in grizzly country (aka: coastal brown bears), and we regularly have them in our yard.  I can't recall a single outing in which we don't see tracks or bears, often at fairly close range.  And in 35 years I've NEVER had to shoot one.  They've scared me silly a few times, but thank god they're there.  I'll shoot one if I have to, but thankfully that's never happened.  They're a part of "wilderness" to me, which is why I choose to live where I do.  Life would be really sad without them.  I just wish folks would devote as much time and effort to learning how to live with them as they invest in collecting horror stories, true or not.

This is perfectly true.
The "almost no injuries" is interesting as well.
This is like being in a firefight and having your unit take "light casualties". This is perfectly true unless you are one of the people who got whacked. Then the casualties are 100% for you but you no longer care.

There is always the one time that is the exception. You only die once. You get killed you don't learn from the experience. Some people never figure this out.
Lots of things about bears are not myths and you know this from bear attacks in Alaska by blacks and browns.
Dad had a place near Healy and was building house. He was having trouble with a black bear getting into stuff. He got a chance and shot him. Basically a grown cub. He put him on his flatbed trailer and was going to skin him. He was then charged out of the brush by an old sow. He had his rifle handy and shot her as well.
Then we had the bears that used to live off the dump at Delt Jct and would get into anything plastic within a mile of so of the dump. Take 5 gal jugs of diesel fuel into the trees and bite holes in them. Get into cases of oil and bite the plastic bottles. Anything that they thought might be edible. Its kind of a pain in the ass and one would *think* diesel fuel would be something you could leave in your pickup overnight.
I don't trust bears, black brown or otherwise. Don't trust mountain lions either, was given a first had account of a hunter having to shoot one here in MT in self defense. How do you get away for something like that is after YOU? Its not possible in most cases.
A friend used to work at a "Dude" ranch on the north border of Yellowstone Park and shot several black bear sometimes several a year. He had a griz in his kitchen once. Fortunately the bear left, taking out a window frame and all when he opened the door. But I sure as $#*! would not want to bet my life on the bear running in such a situation but this time it did. He did not know the bear was there when he opened the hall door.
One black he shot off the side of the cook house when it was trying to get into the upstairs with the (screaming) girls that worked as maids.
Then there was the state or fed employee in AK that had her arms and legs eaten off by a black bear. IIRC this was somewhere between Fairbanks and Delta Jct.
There is an area in Wyoming where rifle fire is now a "dinner bell" for grizzlys like it in some places in AK. They are also stalking and attacking bow hunters using cow calls for elk in MT and WY. Several cases in the past 2-3 years. Hard to use a bear bell when trying to hunt elk.
All the experience in the world is not going to make a difference if the bear is HUNTING you or you come around the bend of the trail and come across an bear that is spring loaded for whatever reason. One person might live as you do for 35 years and never have a serious problem. The next person in the same neighborhood could get mauled this first week just from bad luck.
There is no sense in shooting every bear you see out of fright or stupidity. But going around thinking the woods savy and experience will solve every problem its also stupid.
I used to work for an outfitter in MT. They had bears in camp trouble one night (before my time and I was working in the 1980s) about 3 miles north of Yellowstone. Some time later the local fish cop asked Bo and his son that since the statute of limitations was now up how many bears did they actually shoot. The some piped up and asked the warden how many bears it took to be a felony. I understand they shot 5.
I know a man who has studied bears and written books. He told me that there is an old boar in Glacier that hates him and if he finds where he is camped he ALWAYS wrecks everything while he is gone doing field work. He has had to stay up all night and throw burning sticks and then leave when it was light. He refuses to carry a gun. Its his choice. He told me if a bear gets him it will be this one.

When you go into the woods with large carnivores around you become part of the food chain. Just a fact. That they generally choose not to kill and eat you does not make attacks on other people a myth.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

BuffaloGun

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 09:01:39 AM »
When I first started hunting with a cap lock I had a .45 Hawkin from CVA (I know! I know, but that was way back when I first saw Jeremiah Johnson.)  because PA said .45 was the minimum for ML deer.
I still have a few .45s but they are just for teaching the scouts to load & shoot.
Everyday all around gun is the .54 on the Virginia and Lancaster rifles. It does great on any size deer and I took my elk with the Lancaster at well over 80 yards and she didn't make it out of sight before she dropped. In Alaska the .54 took my caribou
I bought the .73 double gun when I went to Alaska in case I ever met one of those western Griz, and it should handle about anything in North America. But it still hasn't hurt anything other than my right shoulder!
In northeast PA the black bears are hurting from exposure to humans. It's getting worse as people from NY and NY push west into Pike County (prime bear country). My Mom lives south of Wilkes-Barre and we routinely have large black bears wonder thru the yard and some have come up on the back porch. We have to park vehicles in a place about 100 yards down the road and see bears most nights anymore. I figure it's a matter of time before raising your hands up high and yelling "Shhoo BEAR!" doesn't work anymore.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »
People are generally safe to be around too. I've only had trouble with one or two in my life.  ;D
Seriously, I have had close encounters with 2 bears in the last ten years which would not back down.
One was intent on eating my dog, and was not impressed with my presence, and let me know it.
I shot him with a .62 cal flinter from 20 feet away. The other bear surprised me while I was hunting.
When I saw him, his ears went down, and the hair on his neck went up. He woofed at me. I put the gun on him, but didn't shoot because I was hunting partridge and was loaded with #6 shot. He decided to leave, but wasn't in a hurry when he ambled off. He was perhaps 15 feet away when stood off. One more step, and I told myself that I would shoot...I'm glad I didn't have to. I think that it is wise to be prepared. We believe that people are basically good, but we still lock our doors. I don't want my safety to be dependent on any wild animals "good behaviour" As said before, death is not something you learn from.
As for calibers, my most used is .50 , probably because I love a rifle built around a swamped "B" weight 50 cal. barrel.and the .50 works well on deer.   That being said, if I had only one hunting rifle, I'd pick a .54 

Mike R

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 05:28:30 PM »
I tend to have a live and let live attitude about bears, but do know of several "incidents" that are suggestive that they can be dangerous and deadly critters and unpredictable at times.  I think DPhariss' reference to the lady attacked by a black bear in Alaska may be the one when a USGS female geologist lost both arms to a Black Bear while doing geology field work, alone and unarmed, up there [ca. 1980?].  I am a geologist and have been in bear country working for several periods of time. One of my friends was attacked unprovoked while studying a rock outcrop in Alaska by a Brown Bear.  It came up from behind and yanked him off the rock. He balled up and survived, but his back is a mass of scars.  One of the camp cooks in our North Slope camp was killed and eaten by a Polar Bear [which do include humans in their diet], when he was studpidly left alone in base camp while everyone else was out exploring.  I know of several other bear attacks in Alaska on geology parties, some including death. My party traveled in threes, with one guy always on alert with a 12 gauge loaded for bear while the others did the geology--a requirement of my company after several "incidents".  Now, I have spent much of my life [64 yrs old now] in the boonies, a good bit of it in bear country, and have had no problems personally.  I do not fear to go into bear country, but have been a bit scared at times with close encounters--especially when unarmed [I rarely have any more a weapon on me than a pocket knife and a rock hammer or staff].  I must say I have been more rattled by nasty snakes than bears in my days in the wilds of North and South America, and other places.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:32:41 PM by Mike R »

Daryl

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:18 PM »
 Dan hits some very good points as do Mike and Bob.  I never go into the bush here unless I am armed with something. Usually it's a rifle or pelter and if a pelter, I have some round ball loads, just in case.  for me, bears can raise YOUR hackles like no other animal. I have no experience with big cats, although we have a few around here. Wolves are a pest, especially at night around your tent, sniffing and growling - but 'probably' won't attack especially with so many moose around and without sufficient numbers.  There were around 20 in the pack Hmmmmm.

Bears are another thing. Big and hairy with big teeth and big claws. Scary to contemplate and best to be armed & quite foolish to go into their living rooms without something to argue with if need be. One of the hunters last fall got a bit of a scare. We knew he was scared because 10 to 15 minutes later when he got back to camp after his noon-time 'run', he was still a bit whiter.  A wolf had lay low in the middle of the 2-track he was running on and attacked him when he got close. Raised his hands and yelled - wolf stopped and took off- stopped it's charge about 10 feet in front of him.  Had he not done as he did, would the wolf have stopped it's attack?  I think he was lucky it wasn't a black bear - he'd probably have died - too far from camp to hear his screams - probably.  That day he had become tired of carrying his bow with him (for grouse).  I don't think he 'ran' during the noose rest period after that.

Although a grizzly attack usually doesn't turn into a predetary attack as with black bears, grizzlies are seemingly more prone to attack than black bears.  Maybe the numbers average out in the end.  Of course, the end is the end in any event.  I don't care to undergo the 400 to1,000 stiches from a survived bear attack, hense I go armed - just in case.

We (forestry employees) were issued bear spray and bear bangers for when checking cut-blocks in remote areas. We thought we were 'probably' ok - then my daughter came back to camp after planting trees one day, to find a black bear on the table eating a can of bear spray.  We've had bears 'fail' to be scared away, and only by amasing our numbers close together (3), opening up our coats to make us huge, yelling as loudly as possible, did the bear decide we weren't edible and slowly amble off into the trees.  10 min. earlier, the grizzly that had confronted us, ran off, but a bit later, the big black bear merely walked off slowly.  The bear 'bangers' didn't faze either- guess they were used to those.

I started packing then, either the M29 or the 12 bore pump, usually the .44 for handiness. Better to be equipped than a 'stat' - remote as that occurance may be.

Offline rsells

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2008, 07:39:07 AM »
I have taken deer with .40, .45, .50, .54, and .58 cal. rifles, and I have grown to love the .54 best.  Recoil is not bad, and it will hurt the critter on the other end.  I have used a .54 Hawken to take the last 17 deer I have killed, and it has been short work with a .535 round ball and 70 gr. of FFF powder. The longest kill with this rifle was 92 paces but most were taken from 8 to 60 paces.  I find the powder and charge that shoots the smallest group in the rifle, and learn to shoot it at different distances up to 125 yards.  Being able to correctly judge distances is key and takes practice.  I never take a shot at anything that I consider over 125 yards, and I always make sure I have a clear field of fire to the critter.  I think bow hunting for several decades has helped me choose the best shot.  Still, the key to a good kill is to hit the deer in the correct spot no matter what cal. you use.  Good luck.
                                                                             Roger Sells

Daryl

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Spot-on, Roger. Finding the best charge is the key to ball placement. Too many guys out there, pick a charge they 'think' should work and use it, never developing a charge for their rifle. What they choose is rarely the 'best' for the rifle. Hitting the 'spot' becomes chancy at best.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 06:38:45 PM by Daryl »