Author Topic: Frizzen rebound again  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Pete G.

Frizzen rebound again
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:12 AM »
I'm having a problem with a late Ketland style lock with the roller on the frizzen. I had noticed a mark where the frizzen was rebounding and hitting the flint. When I first noticed the mark I didn't realize just what it was because at rest I can place the end of a 3/8" ramrod between the two. I couldn't imagine the frizzen rebounding that far, but the mark proves it. At first I thought that it was no big deal because they all come back to some extent or the other, but the third time this lock spit the flint out on the ground I finally put two and two together and realized that the frizzen was whacking the flint hard enough to loosen it in the jaws of the cock.

What is a fix for this?

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: Frizzen rebound again
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:18:15 AM »
PeteG:  In an earlier post I stated that most locks that come from the factory need to be tuned for optimum performance.  It sounds like your lock is no different.   A rebounding frizzen should not be happening!  No matter what the critics say - this is a malfunction of a flintlock.   There are a number reasons for this condition to be happening.  It could be a weak frizzen spring.  It could be a wrong position of the roller in relation to the frizzen spring.  It could be that there is not enough cam opreating in relation to the frizzen spring.  All of these are possibilities - however it is fixable!   ;)   I would have to examine it to diagnose  the actual problem.   I will examine it free of charge for you if you will pay the shipping both ways.  That is the best that I can offer from this distance.   Feel free to contact me if you wish.     Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Birddog6

Re: Frizzen rebound again
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:12:03 AM »
If it is a Chambers Ketland, I would send it back to Jim & let him fix it.

If he sold it, he will make good on it.

Keith Lisle