Author Topic: Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - PHOTOS  (Read 4891 times)

xring2245

Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - PHOTOS
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:18 AM »
For anyone who is interested and is reasonably close to southeast Pennsylvania, the Brandywine Longrifles hosts monthly shoots on the second Saturday of every month except December.  Check out their website - http://brandywinelongrifles.com/

James
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:47:29 PM by xring2245 »

zimmerstutzen

Re: Brandywine Longrifles - Monthly Shoots
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
Haven't been there since a 1984 weekend shoot.  There used to be two brothers that were members.  I think their last name was Vance.   they still around? 

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Longrifles - Monthly Shoots
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
There are some old time members that I see at shoots, but no Vance brothers.  We get about 10-15 out for a shoot.  We start at 10 and go to 1:30 - 2p.m.

James

xring2245

Brandywine Longrifles - Flyer for 14 May 2011 Shoot
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:00:58 AM »
http://brandywinelongrifles.com/

At Brandywine Range
MAY 14, 2011
Shoot will start at 10am.
It will be a 25 and 50 yard shoot. Novelty paper targets only. Patch round ball is required. Iron sights.
All complaints will be dealt with as we see fit.
Lunch and dessert will be provided for those who pay attention to directions. Contestants must bring your own beverages.
Prizes will be given down to 4th place

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Longrifles - 14 May 2011 Shoot
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 11:46:29 PM »
Fourteen shooters showed up yesterday for the monthly shoot of the Brandywine Longrifles.  This was my third shoot with them and I had a great time in spite of the overcast conditions and occasional rain.  I went home with a few food prizes as well.
     Mike Amico, a long time New Jersey shooter, ran the match and had some really interesting and somewhat difficult targets, especially at the 25 yard line.  There's weren't many complaints, other than the usual ball busting, as everyone got down to business and did what they had to do with each target.
     Mike's daughter, Monica Wright, prepared an escellent tasting chili for lunch as well as a potentially award-winning pineapple upside-down cake for dessert.  Dave Wright, Monica's husband, did a great job as range officer.  He usually wins a lot of the individual matches, but gave the rest of us a chance at winning.
     All in all, it was a great match, well worth the 75 mile ride to get there.  Here are some photos...

Jim setting up his gear on the loading bench

Mike Amico hands out targets at the start of each individual match

Starting the ball... It seems that a lot of shooters will use a bore-sized or oversized ball and will need a mallet to short start it.

The "futtzing around" before the shot - Jim

The shot.  Notice the rain gear.  The on and off rain put a lot of dampness into the air.

More photos to folow.

James
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:49:06 PM by xring2245 »

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - More PHOTOS
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
One thing you will notice that this is an older crowd.  One shooter was well into his eighties and there were quite a few 70 year olds on the line.  I was one of the younger shooters and I am no kid.  If our love for muzzleloading is going to carry on, we have to make an effort to recruit younger shooters.  When a teen and hois father showed up to see what was going on, a few of us took the time to explain what we were doing and showed them some of the guns.  We made sure the kid had a chance to fire one before he left.  Hopefully, they will be back next month.
     Here are some additional photos...

Mike thinks Monica makes the best pineapple upside-down cake.  Many of us would agre.

Our rifles are racked during the lunch break.  They were under cover during the rain we had.

Jim standing by the chili pot.  There was more than enough for everyone.

A winning target.  This was the first of four 50 yard targets we had to shoot.

Mike is passing out the buffalo target.  The smaller buffalo was a challenge.

A few more photos to follow...

James

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - Last of the PHOTOS
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:08:26 AM »
Last of the photos

Monica Wright not only prepared lunch, but also tallied all the scores.

The "awards ceremony."  Mike gave out awards to the first four places.  First, package of steaks; Second, package of boneless pork chops; Third, English muffins and a dozen eggs; Fourth, canned goods.

The next shoot will be the second Saturday in June.  Hope to see some new faces there.

James
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:15:11 AM by xring2245 »

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - PHOTOS
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Ol Mike should move his Shoot closer to Carbon Co.  200 Mi round trip for one day is a 'bridge too far'.  I planned to go anyway.  The weather forecast turned me off. I will admit Barbara found it pretty rough to abide me that day.

Well at least I got the muzzle cap on the latest long rifle.... ;D

Thanks for the photos. Enjoyed looking at them. 

xring2245

Re: Brandywine Longrifles, 14 May 2011 Shoot - PHOTOS
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 04:08:48 AM »
     Members of the Brandywine Longrifles take turns running shoots, either individually or in pairs.  Next month's shoot is a muzzleloading pistol shoot.  That should be fun.
     Mike is active with the Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club in Jackson, NJ.  I am a long time member there as well.  Mike ran muzzleloading shoots at the Colliers Mill Wildlife Management Area where there was a range.  He ran shoots there until most of the shooters had died off.
     I am trying to talk him into shoots at Central Jersey where I would be willing to host the shoots with him.  His days of running shoots might be over and he just wants to go to them.  He was at Lancaster County last week.
     Here is the rest of 2011's shoot schedule:

June 11 Pistol Shoot  
                                                       July 9 Novelty Shoot
                                                 August 13 President’s Shoot  
                                                   September 19 Fall Shoot
                                                     October 8 Bacon Shoot  
                                                 November 12 Turkey Shoot  
                                                      December  No Shoot  

James
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:39:24 AM by xring2245 »