Author Topic: new owner of an A&H pistole  (Read 4981 times)

ottawa

new owner of an A&H pistole
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:07:48 AM »
just received a .45cal under hammer  ;D wanted one for a many moon now that I have it I was trying to fig out how they breech-ed them ? the barrel and trigger housing seem to be one piece with a plug at the back . the trigger and hammer go into the barrel and in front is the nipple so something has to be solid in there did they sleeve or blind rifle them?

Offline JCKelly

Re: new owner of an A&H pistole
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:13:39 PM »
I will show my ignorance - who makes the "A&H" pistol?  I'm not familiar with them.

ottawa

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
allen and hopkins I have heard they are good shooters cant wait to find out

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
Hopkins and Allen, made by Numerich arms. I have one, don't recall how it is breeched but I'm rather sure there is a plug in there. You can google  "Hopkins and Allen" for more information.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 12:23:28 AM »
Ottawa,
I'm not so sure they are breached. The barrel stops just behind the nipple and then you have the machined slot for the trigger and hammer. That means that the slot would have to be cut into the breach plug, if there is one. I think they may have blind drilled the barrels and then rifled them the same way. Just my 2 cents.
Mark
Mark

ottawa

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »
got to looking at it today and it looks like the barrel is made the regular way then drilled large from the rear then a breech plug put in just behind were the nipple come into the barrel just guessing . then the slot is milled in

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
Ottawa,
If that is the case then the slot has to be milled into the breach plug and the plug is then drilled through, twice, to hang the trigger and hammer. May be so but it doesn't sound right to me!
Mark  ???
Mark

ottawa

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »
no the plug is not drilled the slot is milled behind where the plug is . the plug is a good 1 to 1/12 in away from the screws maybee a little farther away .

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
Ottawa,
If there was to be a major problem, barrel blockage etc, how would you get to the breach plug? It is my understanding that the barrel, breach plug area is all one piece all the way to the rear.
Mark
Mark

ottawa

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:24:21 PM »
good question the very back of the barrel is plugged with a flush type of a plug like the put a bolt in then cut it flush only other way to get to the breech plug would be I Guss to remove the trigger and hammer and spring and go Thur the slot IF  it has a ell-an head or some kind of plug . if not I haven't a clue

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:01:51 AM »
Ottawa,
The only reason for persuing the question is curiosity on my part. If there is a breach plug it certainly would not come out through the action slot. I still think they blind drilled the barrels and slotted the solid portion of the barrel blank behind the rifled portion of the barrel. I personally like the pistol and have had good luck with a couple over the years.
Mark
Mark
Mark