Author Topic: Ramrod channel molding line tool??  (Read 10462 times)

LehighBrad

Ramrod channel molding line tool??
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:33:44 AM »
Can anyone tell me a good method on how to create a nice even and straight molding or trim line along the entire length of my ramrod channel from my entry pipe to the nose cap?? I've heard of a home made tool made from a piece of ram rod dowel with some sort of cutter blade or point in it.

coutios

Re: Ramrod channel molding line tool??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:45:19 AM »
  Find yourself a copy of Recreating the American Longrifle , by Buchele,Shumway and Alexander... Around $40... Lots of good stuff.... Good investment....

Regards
Dave

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »
Brad,
There are tools available and they are pretty simple to make, but I use 3M pinstriping tape to lay mine out.  It sticks too wood good and will bend if you want some squigglies around your entry thimble.  Once it's in place, I trace along the edge with an icepick and then with a Dembart Veiner.  Why an icepick?  It will scratch across the grain where an Xacto knife will often wander.  Once my line is set, then I use gouges and round files to mold it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 05:11:39 AM »
Here's a "scratch stock" video tutorial. Make your own. He's only showing one profile--a bead--but you'll see the possibilities for making cutters with other profiles.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=31290

I like his simple stock. Nothing more than is necessary. Also note his trick to know when to stop!

This one gives you an idea of how to make the stock, Something Hack sort of passes over in the video.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/jThompson/restore/scratchStock/scratchStock1.asp

And here's a nifty little photo tutorial:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?97319-Scratch-Stock-Simple-Easy-Effective-%28Photo-Tutorial%29

And some alternatives, showing small molding profile examples.

http://www.johnlloydfinefurniture.co.uk/files/p%2041-44%20FC%2092%E2%80%A6TECH%20lloyd%20JB.pdf

Not enough? Go to YouTube or google and search "scratch stock." LOTS out there to use as models.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:35:49 PM by Kermit »
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:38 PM »
Great sites! Thanks for sharing.......

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:07 PM »
Lehigh,

Here are some scratch stocks I made long ago and a couple of photos of the result.  This is from a post on the old board that may be interesting for you to read.

http://americanlongrifles.org/old_board/index.php?topic=9943.0

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:47:51 AM by rich pierce »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:36:26 AM »
Looks like nice work Davec2, what is the thicknes of the material you used for the cutter?   Smylee

Offline bgf

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 05:12:15 AM »
I don't know if its HC or not, but I use a file to cut simple molding lines on the fore end as well as the relief line along the toe to wrist line of the buttstock and on the cheek piece.  Draw out a line and drag the edge of a halfround file over it lengthwise.  Go slow at first, while you are just scratching the line, then when it becomes a cut line, you can increase the depth of the cut more quickly, once you are "in the groove" :).  I won't say you can't get a crooked line, but the length of the file makes it easier to stay straight.  If the file is tapered, it will make the initial cut a little trickier, but it will also allow you to "fade" the line out toward the end.  You can also modify the profile of the cut depending on how you hold the file and which side of the half round you use "up or down".  Obviously, other file shapes can be used as well.  The triangular file makes a very nice, simple incised line for example.  This works for straight lines only -- but it eliminates a lot of the work; if you need a curlicue or curve to terminate, then you have only a very little "carving" to do freehand.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 05:56:41 AM »
Cutter material? Old handsaw blades. Cut, file, polish, use.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 06:11:23 AM »
Somewhere on the old board was a discusion about a tool to cut a simple straight scratch line molding.  It consisted of a block of hardwood and a flat head counter sunk screw head.  The slot of the screw head acted as the cutter.  You slide the block of wood along the barrel channel or ram rod channel, you can adjust the placement of the scratch line, by turning the screw in or out.  Crude but effective.

Kunk

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »