Author Topic: appalachian mountain gun  (Read 10435 times)

Meteorman

appalachian mountain gun
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:56:40 AM »
#4 off the bench today.
.50 cal GM.  44" cut back to 43"
Jim Chambers Dale Johnson lock (on purpose...  yes, I know I know, but I like the look of it - nice bend to it - call it re-purposed in this gun ;D).
poured pewter nosecap.
homemade sideplate and patchbox.
started from a Pecatonica "Carolina".

I'm gonna knock the shine off it a little - fresh wax in these pics.
as always, open to any and all helpful tips.
thanks,
/Mike Millard

Offline pathfinder

Re: appalachian mountain gun
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:06:21 AM »
Caint find fault! Beatiful! Shine's,truley shine's. Would be proud to carry this one! Love the patchbox finial.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:26:40 AM »
Meteor Man, I didnty know GM made a 44" barrel except in swamped, is that what you used? Nice looking gun by the way. Keep the shine, it will age just fine the way it is.   Smylee

Offline frenchman

• Keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:42:39 AM »
i like what i see, how does she shoot i hope your prod of her she is a butte
Denis

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:49:04 AM »
Meteor Man, that's one fine rifle. Hard to believe it's only number four! Your attention to detail is evident. By the way, those are some great photos as well. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 06:06:03 AM »
My only comments are; "WOW" ... Perfect proof it's impossible to argue with success - GREAT JOB - Who really cares what lock it has ... (LOL) !!!

Thanks for sharing it with us ...  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 01:25:13 PM »
MM-
Great looking rifle. The color and finish on the wood is perfect as well as the on the metal.  Lines flow wonderfully from butt to muzzle. Thanks for showing us.
Ted K.

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Very well done.  On the standard Siler lock you can slightly round the pointed tail to give it a more english slightly later profile.  We used to do that in the dark ages for Hawkens.  Lock looks good on this as is.  Nice handling of the patch box.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:52:49 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:05:11 PM »
That is all right!

The little detail on the tail of the lock.  Did you file that in or is it part of the casting?

Coryjoe

Offline okieboy

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
 Nice from end to end. I like your cheek piece very much. I also like the muzzle cap. I expect that you made this one. How long is it? Looks like 3".
Okieboy

Meteorman

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 11:07:08 PM »
thanks guys - you're all very kind.

the detail on the lock tail is part of the Dale Johnson casting.
I did round up the bottom of the pan a bit, but left the tail alone. 
Maybe next time....  or I'll just go with somethin' English to begin with......

I poured the nosecap from an old pewter cup I melted down - it's just a hair short of 2-1/2".

no shots yet - raining cats and dogs here today.
Here's hopin and prayin our members in the deep south are are out of harms way with those tornadoes.

thanks again.
/mike

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 05:21:23 AM »
Looks good for number 4

Capt Mike

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 06:01:32 AM »
Outstanding !

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 07:36:59 AM »
Put me down as like it.  Watch your buttstock top line. Slight swale. A minor reworking of the set triggers would make a great difference. Lock panels are too fat but this was true often times with these rifles. Lock choice. You can do it once but don't make a habit of it.
All in all an exceptional 4th effort.

dannybb55

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
Death to Deer!!!

Meteorman

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
A minor reworking of the set triggers would make a great difference.

thanks Bill.
I'm guessing you mean the set trigger should maybe have a ittle more forward curl.
Before final assembly. I tweaked it forward a little (had to to get it to fit in the TG) , but I have a little more room to go further.  Can give that a go.  thanks again.

BTW - I pinned the forward trigger guard tab with a blind - one hole - pin from inside the lock mortice.
put a small 90-degree leg on the pin first, like a very short allen wrench, to give me something to latch on to so I could pull it if need be.
Is this a common technique, or am I headed for trouble ?
/Mike

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
Meteor Man,
Great looking rifle.  She should handle like a dream and be a deer slayer from day one.  
Inletting looks clean and sharp, especially the tang inletting.  Nice job.  I like the trigger guard.  Is it forged?    Stain and finish are exceptional.   Cool patchbox.  My hats off to you for trying something a little different with that.  Gives the gun some character.  Nice job with the nosecap.  

open to any and all helpful tips.
I agree with Bill on the trigger and the lock panels.  With just a little doctoring you can make them Davis triggers look much more Southern AND while there are plenty of Southern guns with large lock panels; there are plenty of them with slim panels too.    

Cheers,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
Mike,
I posted at the same time you were posting.  

On the trigger: Take a look at this tutorial.  It is on making a trigger but the photos will show you the shape of the front trigger that is so prominant.  
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4616.0

Trigger Guard Pin:  Most Southern guns had a screw in the front final rather than being pinned.  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:29:33 PM by Ken G »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Meteorman

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »
Meteor Man,
Great looking rifle.  She should handle like a dream and be a deer slayer from day one.  
Inletting looks clean and sharp, especially the tang inletting.  Nice job.  I like the trigger guard.  Is it forged?    Stain and finish are exceptional.   Cool patchbox.  My hats off to you for trying something a little different with that.  Gives the gun some character.  Nice job with the nosecap.  

open to any and all helpful tips.
I agree with Bill on the trigger and the lock panels.  With just a little doctoring you can make them Davis triggers look much more Southern AND while there are plenty of Southern guns with large lock panels; there are plenty of them with slim panels too.    

Cheers,
Ken

thanks Ken. 
My goal is to become a quarter of the mountain gun builder that you are  - and I have a looong way to go before I get even close to that.

The TG is a casting from TOW - their TG-SM-1-I part.

I think I'm understanding now that it's the front trigger that needs doctoring up a little. Pointy at the bottom, with the stem emerging from a half-moon at the base of it. 
Appreciate the input from all.  ... and I take to heart Bill S.'s advice about lock choice !

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
Love it, love it!

That's a beautiful rendition. I'm keeping this thread marked for future reference!

Thanks for sharing!

Albert