Author Topic: Abatron Liquid Wood WoodEpox Wood Restoration Kit  (Read 5342 times)

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
Abatron Liquid Wood WoodEpox Wood Restoration Kit
« on: May 18, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »
Anyone ever use this product for a LARGE mistake on a stock??  Like a botched patchbox installation?

Abatron Liquid Wood WoodEpox Wood Restoration Kit.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Abatron Liquid Wood WoodEpox Wood Restoration Kit
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »
I haven't used this product, but I will offer a general suggestion.  Hope you don't mind.  I don't know exactly what the problem is, but for making just about any large wood repair, I think it is best to match the grain and glue in a patch.  Perhaps a photo of the issue might help in figuring out a solution.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
Well Jim, I made every mistake I could have by trying to inlet a patchbox to a Joe Long stock I had "a cheap one"  and am either going to abandon the patchbox and fill in the area and live with it or it is going in the fireplace next fall for heat.  My intention is to just fill in smooth and finish dark and put it behind me.  I noticed an original rifle posted that had the patchbox removed and filled " a  F. Sells rifle"  And it sparked my interest in trying to save this piece of wood.

Brett.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
That Fredrick Sell rifle originally had no patchbox, until one was added to by some unscrupulous dog to try to enhance its value. Recently the patchbox was removed by an honest collector.

I haven't used the glue you mention either, so can't help there.
However, can't you just make a larger Joe Long patchbox to cover over the mistakes?

Put up a picture! Whatever you did is fixable one way or another!

John 
John Robbins

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:17:54 AM »
Hey, the best thing to fill wood with is matching wood!  And stainable wood glue is best glue to do that IMHO.  And putting it under a patchbox with sideplates sure gives you a lot of cover under which to conceal it.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
You could also be tricky and  hide the glue line in simple incised carving surrounding the box.  This will only likely look good with certain types of boxes.  If your patching wood, you can re-inlet any design.  If you consider going in this direciton, study original examples that have incised carving  around the box.  There aren't a huge number, but there are a few.   Something to consider at the very least.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
If possible make a bigger patchbox.
In the end it will be much better.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Jay Close

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »
Depending on the severity of the problem, small gaps in inletting can be filled by careful peening of the sheet metal from the backside. I have seen at least one original rifle that suggested this was standard operating  procedure: do a quick inlet and then fill the gaps by penning metal into them. The back of this particular patchbox was a mass of small peen marks, mostly parallel to and following the edge of the design.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
It's amazing how this hobby gets you thinking creatively, I'm not talking about creating good design but designing good fixes to ooopsies. It seems that no matter what the goof there is a fix for it. All is never lost.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 05:03:29 AM »
Depending on the severity of the problem, small gaps in inletting can be filled by careful peening of the sheet metal from the backside. I have seen at least one original rifle that suggested this was standard operating  procedure: do a quick inlet and then fill the gaps by penning metal into them. The back of this particular patchbox was a mass of small peen marks, mostly parallel to and following the edge of the design.

I figure if peaning is good enough for S&W revolvers its good enough for me ;D

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine