Author Topic: Bedford Co Rifle lock markings  (Read 4441 times)

Online lexington1

Bedford Co Rifle lock markings
« on: May 26, 2011, 08:07:35 PM »
I'm trying to decipher the lock markings on this lock from a Bedford co. rifle I just picked up. I can make out the last letter, which is B, and I'm pretty sure it's a Border gun, but which one? Could the First mark be a J for John Border or am I just seeing things? What do you guys think?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Bedford Co Rifle lock markings
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
I'd start with Border in Jim Whisker's Bedford book and go from there.
If you don't have a copy.  I have an extra.   PM Me.  The rest of the gun
might help......
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 08:25:36 PM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online lexington1

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks Suzkat. I have a copy of the book. This pretty much looks like any of the other Border guns. I only took a couple pics of it yesterday and it's raining buckets outside right now. The rifle has been cut down and is a wreck. The trigger guard is not the original as well. Here is a pic of the patchbox. The engraving looks very similar to the engraving on a Daniel Border gun that I have. I am trying to figure out the markings on the lock though.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »
Love that patchbox engraving.  Great find.  Did you have to pay
retail or garage sale?  One of my buddies just went to an estate moving
sale.  There was a muzzleloader in the basement rafters that the owner lady never noticed.  She gave it to him for $100.  I've had my eye on a
beautiful Defibaugh for a year now.  Wish me luck.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online lexington1

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 09:37:57 PM »
I got it off of one of the online auction sites. Considering the condition it's in it wasn't a great deal but I was still happy to get it. I guess I'm weird but I love these things in virtually any condition. Is the Defibaugh rifle your after the one in your other post? That really is in great shape!  Good luck on your pursuit.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:16 PM »
Looks like a J, nice piece.
Buck

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 12:09:03 AM »
Nice rifle Wes, I don't see anything that can't be fixed.  Actually I like it just as it is! ;D

FK
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:10:15 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline nord

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
Courtesy of Whisker:

Absolutely positively Daniel D Border
Any more he can buy my Bedford book
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Online lexington1

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:30:19 PM »
Thanks guys!  Mr. Whiskers comments make perfect sense. I thought that the middle initial looked like a D but I wasn't aware that Daniel Borders middle initial was D. Great! Thanks Scooter, but I think I have every one of your books! I am truly indebted to all of the research that you have made available through the years.  :)