Author Topic: Wood Lathe For Powder Horns  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Poor Bull

Wood Lathe For Powder Horns
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:59:41 AM »
I recently received a wood lathe as an early Christmas present from my son.  I've always admired powder horns with turned butt plugs and necks.  Need some help from anyone out there in getting started.  My previous lathe experience is zero.
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.

Powder River Let'er Buck

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Wood Lathe For Powder Horns
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:26:01 AM »
I'd suggest that you attend a library and take out a book or two on using wood lathes.  It's important that you get some practical information since the tool can be dangerous to the user if it is not used correctly.  And start a simple project to get the feel of how the tools cut.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »
Without knowing what may be nearby that can support this, I suggest you try contacting a community college, high school industrial arts instructor, or a wood working supplier like Wood Craft and take a few classes on use of the lathe.  Probably save you more time and frustration than the few hours required to do the class. 

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »
If you "Google" "wood lathe dvd" you should find a variety of instructional dvd's that will help you get started.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Longshot

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:51:17 PM »
Horn plugs are as good a place as any to start.  Once you figure how to mount your piece, you might try easing into it, using scrapers and low rpm's.
Careful!

Might as well gather some info on sharpening as well.

close enough

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 03:34:38 AM »
I agree with LongShot.  If you don't know what you are doing, try scrapping:  What ever you do stay away from a  skew chisel, till you get some instruction.
Brian

george kevil

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 03:51:12 AM »
Poor Bull,
Look up your state wood turning association. Sometime there are several in a state. And try some of the better wood stores in  your area. They usually give classes or demonstrations or know of someone that gives lessons. I went to a
Rockler demonstration once this spring and now I have barrels of saw dust and all kinds of funny shaped pieces of wood and horn. And try to locate a Woodcraft store near you.Sometimes they also have classes.
George

omark

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 04:21:44 AM »
close enough, ive had some instruction with the skew and still get into trouble. ::)

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »
First suggestion: Don't try to turn a large square piece until you get some experience. Cut the corners off first. You can try it but be real careful of that first cut, it can be an eye opener.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 04:16:12 AM »
Personally, I like to learn by doing things wrong & badly a few times, rather than having the good sense & forsight to take a class. Turned some tolerable butt plugs on my small Atlas metal lathe. Since my wood turning skills are about Zero, I ended up getting the plug smooth with a file while on the lathe.
With respect to the horn necks, both the old way, and the modern way, to hold the horn are the same. First drill out the neck to suit, say, a 1/4x28 tap. Tap the neck, leave the tap in place & hold the tap in the lathe chuck. Old turned horn tips, at least Lancaster horns, still show shallow threads from the tap used to hold them in a lathe. And since my little Atlas doesn't have the throw to turn the neck of any decent horn, I made my own "horn" lathe using a Bosch variable speed drill, couple of hose clamps, and stout oak timber from pallats at work. Nice to turn the horn neck at very low speed.
Now, I understand that the Master Horner guys would have much better advise.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:25:43 PM »
I just mount any chunk--square, rough, whatever--and go at it slowly with a honkin' 2" roughing gouge. Or did. Sold off my big lathes a few years back and now have just a Rikon midi. I still start with that roughing gouge.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West