Author Topic: H Wright  (Read 6073 times)

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
H Wright
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:39:35 AM »
Looking for some Info on him. Looks to be Ohio half stock percussion. Something I ran into for sale. Needs a little TLC   Looking at $4 bills I think it is a little high. Looking for some  thoughts.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline gibster

Re: H Wright
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:25:21 AM »
There was a Henry Wright that worked in Jamestown North Carolina in the 1850's/60's.  According to GUNSMITHS OF THE CAROLINAS 1660 - 1870, he went to Missouri in 1870.  Most of the Jamestown rifles looked pretty much the same.  If you could post a couple of pictures, it would be pretty easy to identify it as such.  Hope this helps.
Eric

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
Here are a few pictures of a H Wright that I have.  It's not a plain rifle, but you can look at the stock architecture and the signature same and see if they are similar to what you are looking at.  Hope this helps.
Eric

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:52:23 AM »
Looks in the same vain.
Any Ideas on a value to.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline gibster

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:11:04 AM »
Depends on condition.  There are quite a few Jamestown rifles that are out there.  I wouldn't think that $400.00 would be out of line if the rifle is in decent shape.  That being said, I would check for repairs to the stock and make sure that the lock/triggers function.  If there are any inlays, have any of them been replaced.  Most of the original inlays had a zigzag border engraved on them with the exception of the lock bolt.  If the engraving doesn't match between inlays, there is a good chance that some are replaced.  I would also check the bore.  Even if you are not wanting it to shoot, the condition of the bore may help to if/when you want to resell it.  If you decide to pass on it, let me know as I am always looking for North Carolina rifles, regardless of condition.
Eric

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 05:22:27 PM »
Didn't Have a bore light with me. Lock is loose and needs work. Didn't catch at full. The stock is crack through the lock panel. Nothing jump out wrong with the inlays. With all of the inlays I was thinking it was Ohio till your comment about James town.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 01:39:59 AM »
David,
Jamestown Longrifles are my speciality. I wrote a book about them a few years ago. Henry Wright was one of the more respected makers. A plain rifle by him (no inlays) will sell for $800 to $1,600 around here depending on condition.  A fancy rifle with inlays will bring $1,500 to $3,000 again depending on condition.  In my 30 years collecting Jamestown Rifles I have not seen a Full-stock Patchbox Jamestown Rifle signed by him, but I have been told that one exist with a silver eagle finial.  I would love to see it.

I hope that helps.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 09:25:16 PM »
I guess I will have to get some photos of it. and More detail.
David Veith
David Veith