Author Topic: Muzzle face detail options question  (Read 9779 times)

Offline James

Muzzle face detail options question
« on: June 17, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
Hello, I've seen a couple of photos of details that were added to the muzzle face around the bore. Having not seen many originals, was this common? I have a .32 barrel that has quite a blank space there and I think it would be more pleasing to the eye with something other than the wide blank area. Is there someplace I might see photos of different ways to handle this? Thank you, James
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Muzzle face detail options question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
Hi James,

I don't know whether it was common on originals, but here are some pictures of muzzle decorations posted previously here on ALR.

Here's one by David Price in his "father daughter project"

This one is an antique barrel owned by g.pennell

This one is the Soddy influenced E. TN rifle by Ken G.

And another by Ken G, Squirrel rifle

I'm hoping others will add more examples.  Seems like I remember seeing a muzzle face with little gold stars inlayed around the bore, but I couldn't locate the picture.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
Thanks for posting these, gives me ideas and I appreciate it. I'm not ready to tackle metal inlays yet. Want to...
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »
James   these are not inlays, just punch and scribed lines.  Look for threads on this, I think Ken did a good one iirc.  Try on a piece of scrap and give it a shot, really not that hard at all

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
This is posted for alyce-james ;

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:17 PM »
I found a picture of the muzzle with inlayed stars.  It was originally posted by Dave Rase.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline James

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
brokenflint, I was referring to the metal inlays Ky-Flinter mentioned, it isn't  something I know how to do. The punched with scribed lines, I can do that. Tim I really like that one. Thank you all for the ideas. James

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
Last year or two Rolf, a member here ran a thread on looking for a stamp to make the star impressions that could be inlayed. He found a source which he listed and he used it on his beautiful pistol which he shared with us.  Search the archives for posts by him re stamps or star stamps.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12172.msg115393#msg115393

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 09:30:37 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

blunderbuss

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
I've noticed several originals like the second one down Was there a practical reason for that?

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »
brokenflint, I was referring to the metal inlays Ky-Flinter mentioned, it isn't  something I know how to do. The punched with scribed lines, I can do that. Tim I really like that one. Thank you all for the ideas. James

Punch design, fill with tin solder face off.

Just don't punch too near the bore.

I like the "Welcome" too.

Saw an ACAV shield for a 50 in Iraq with "Smile Wait for Flash" that I wish I had thought of when I used to set behind one.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:43:31 PM »
Not on a longrifle --- but I saw pictures of an original blunderbuss somewhere that had "He that escapes me is fortunate indeed" engraved around the barrel face. Made me think the flare was as much for scaring the ____ out of whoever it was aimed at as it was fro easy loading!
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 01:03:02 AM »
I have also seen that wonderful phrase on the muzzle of an English coaching carbine.

Offline James

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »
This is all perfect.  Thank you. Do you have to cut out the little stars? I especially like "He that escapes me is fortunate indeed", Somewhere that will be put to use.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
Punches are available and I like that feature cause we're so often looking at them...

I was going to say much like tatoos at good spots on a female but I better not ::)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
I will say Roger, you have a rich imagination!!  ;D ;D ;D  Of course I mean that the star punches are not really very available unless you are willing to pay to have one made............. Maybe we should suggest to TOW that they start to carry one??

De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline James

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
Roger, I once saw a tattoo that read "Welcome Strangers"  ;)

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
I mean that the star punches are not really very available unless you are willing to pay to have one made
Actually, they are available, you just have to know where to find them.  Unfortunately, I don't remember but I found them thru a google search.  The outfit had about 150 different stamps and they sold for $6 each.  They were hot forged on the end of 1/4" drill rod and worked fine on ML barrels.

Maybe some industrious person can locate them again.  It may have been one of the knife supply companies.

Addenda: search "metal stamps jewelry" or "metal pattern stamps."  Here is one example but I think they have a $50 min. order.  Still, they are available:

http://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/Decorative-Specialty-Pattern-Stamps-c3925.htm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:14:11 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
Here's one more. Henry Spitzer, with dots and circles.

John
John Robbins

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 04:41:05 AM »
Roger, I once saw a tattoo that read "Welcome Strangers"  ;)
I do recall one on a gal's upper inner leg stating 'pay as you enter' :D

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
I recall another in the same area that said, "Failure is not an option!"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:30:38 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:40 AM »
Apparently the muzzle decoration allows for creative license? I think this is a good way to fill that blank area.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »

My swivel

A Don King rifle I once owned.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine