Author Topic: Last of the Mohicans  (Read 21837 times)

El Mac

Last of the Mohicans
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:07:39 AM »
Stupid question perhaps, but still...I'd like to know the answer.

The rifle carried by the main character Nathaniel...what style is it?  Does anyone know who built it?

Thanks...

Offline Ezra

Re: Last of the Mohicans
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 08:45:03 AM »
Well, for starters it was not correct for the era.  If memory serves, the movie took place in 1757.  That style of rifle is more or less an Allentown (Lehigh) style, although liberties were taken with the style to serve Hollywoods need.  The barrel was a 49" Getz and the maker was Wayne Watson.

http://www.waynepwatson.com/biography.html

Welcome to the forum

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 02:39:14 PM »
there were several long discussions on this on the old board, some interesting stories, as well as a sickening reminder of the anachronisms created by Hollywood to make money rather than teach
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »
man does this question seem to surface alot.instead of getting your ideas from hollywood movies open up a book .there has been disscusion about the "patriot" also on the old board.hollywood tries but they just dont get it.   

El Mac

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »
man does this question seem to surface alot.instead of getting your ideas from hollywood movies open up a book .there has been disscusion about the "patriot" also on the old board.hollywood tries but they just dont get it.   

lew, I do open up books.  I don't really appreciate the insinuation.  My question was a stand alone question that isn't covered in the books that we routinely use - thats why I asked it.   Neither am I a neophyte as to the ways of Hollywood. ;)  I was just curious and like I expected, someone did have the answer.

Thanks Ezra!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 04:04:19 PM by El Mac »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »
El,

Welcome, and take a pill!!!!

I believe it was a suggestion, not a shot at you.

Any way, again, welcome.
In His grip,

Dane

lew wetzel

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »
no i wasnt taken any shots at you el mac,sometimes when reading type we misconstrue the true meaning of what is trying to be relayed.i read a post this morning in contempary section and i had to reread it 3-4 times before i actually fiqured out this fella wasnt having a god complex.sorry if you were offended that wasnt my intent.

El Mac

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 04:23:07 PM »
lew...no harm, no foul.  Another cup o' joe for me and things'll be set well.  Sorry if I snapped too quick.

This is a great forum.  Its a wealth of knowledge and gentlemanly behavior.
I'm just here to learn and enjoy....

Thanks to all.

lew wetzel

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »
back to this hollywood stuff,i had been on the trekking forums and was inquiring about why a movie has never been made about lewis wetzel,and was informed that a movie was made and rejected by big cinema production as being to bloody.i was floored.this came from a very reliable source and he had a hand in the acting and production of this.has any of you came across any info to this i would love to have it.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 04:46:36 PM »
Lew, are you familiar with a gentleman by the name of Michael Archer?  I've had more than a few discussions with him regarding Wetzel.  He is quite the authority on the subject.  I don't know if he knows anything about a movie, but he knows a lot about Wetzel's life.
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Bentflint

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
Too bloody for Hollywood? I guess they only like blood if it was their idea. From the little I know about Wetzel, he could could bring him own or should I say others.

Just imagine, a documentary with a Hollywood budget based on the facts.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 07:27:33 PM »
Bloody has to come from an Uzzi to make Hollywood!!!   ::)    ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
Bloody has to come from an Uzzi to make Hollywood!!!
And proper spelling has to come from a 12 year old, not a PhD.

Chuckles,
Dave
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

lew wetzel

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:49:08 PM »
brian,mr.archer is  who i was refering too.they had made a film and couldnt get anyone to buy it so they shelved it.i have begged him to let me get a copy,he said he couldnt do to a certain publishing company owning the rights.that is all i could get out of him.he did tell me the name of the company but it has been a while and i forget.quess i could go back through the archives of that site and find them..or email mr.archer....

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but aside from the Lew on this board, which Lew Wetzel are we talking about.  Never heard of him in a historical reference.
Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

El Mac

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
Bloody has to come from an Uzzi to make Hollywood!!!
And proper spelling has to come from a 12 year old, not a PhD.

Chuckles,
Dave

And it has spell check too.....   :-[ :-[
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »
Uzzi is american for uzi, oy!!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

lew wetzel

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »
bill,he put all of them to shame,boone,kenton,brady.lewis wetzel reigned terror throughout the tribes in ohio.they called him "deathwind".his wilderness skills could not be matched and he could run like the deer and reload while doing it.he grew his hair to the back of his knees so that the indian if and so ever lifted his scalp would have a outstanding trophy.he had a brother named martin and he was also of the same caliber as lewis.thier father trained them from childhood and they were woodsmen.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:46:04 AM »
A movie about a guy killing "native americans" wouldnt cut it in today's world. Native American's aren't bad guys anymore. There are lots of other bad guys today that make more interesting targets for our heroes.

Hey, Id'e watch it and most of the other ALR guys but that's not a very wide audience. :P

lew wetzel

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »
yes we live in a civilized society now and to make the movie you would have to go beyond the real history and hollywoodize it.they have made civil war movies but never one of custers last stand or the trail of tears.for some reason they just dont wanna make historically correct films because our past is pretty shady at the most.

yankee

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 02:29:46 AM »
They made a Custers Last Stand movie, Son of the Morning Star I believe.
Mike Pearson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 04:39:52 AM »

Click Magua and let your imagination do the rest.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:46:31 AM by TOF »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

lew wetzel

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
i clicked the maqua and all i got was some music.no pics or video.

PINYONE

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 10:25:04 PM »
 Hey Mule Skinners- the Last of the Mohicans was great- I loved it all. There is a not known story behind the rifles. John Bivins was contacted to build 3 rifles for the Movie, I sold him the wood for them. John built 3 early 1750,s carved rifles that were as good as anything I have ever seen. After completion of the rfiles the Producer called john and wanted them to have longer barrels for Daniel Day Lewis, because of his height, wanted Bivins to weld extra barrel to them for a longer incorrect look. John said he wouldn't alter the rifles and never signed them because he was in fear of them having it done somewhere else and 100 years from now someone would say- look what John Bivins did- when Michael Mann showed up on the seen he saw the rifles and took them home to keep and then Wayne Watson built the new stuff. if you ever see the Bivins rifles you will need knee pads so as not to bruise your knees when you hit the floor. I saw incredible pictures of them that John took one night when we we were at Gunston Hall VA, Dave Westbook and Wayne Holcomb were there also. I would say we had a graaaaand time! By the way visit Gunston Hall and check out the Carving John did there " MASTERPIECE" -rsb