Author Topic: my wheelock and me  (Read 128031 times)

4ster

Re: my wheelock and me
« Reply #250 on: November 09, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
Raszpla, thank you for taking the time to document a couple of your builds here.  I have learned more about the details of how a wheel lock is constructed here than any other source. 

Isn't it amazing how one post on this board can spark a discussion that can blossom into something special?  Thanks Blunderbuss for getting the ball rolling. 

In spite of the language barriers other builders could comment and follow the builds.  Thanks also to the other posters for enriching the thread with their comments and questions.

raszpla

« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »

blunderbuss

« Reply #252 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »

I'm happy I could be a part of this I've gone back and looked at the two wheelocks I've made and fortunately I made good mistakes on them that can be corrected (that doesn't always happen) even though they functioned. I started another one on Razpa's plan. Maybe I won't have so many "spare parts" left over on this one. :-\

Offline Glenn

« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
Nice work Razspla ... Your talent has no end.  Thank you again for sharing.  Please be sure to post your next project.

Thanks Dennis and Runar for all yall have shared also.
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

raszpla

« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2011, 11:43:27 AM »
Another reconstruction mechanism wheellock.
theme will be continued

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #255 on: December 05, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
An OUTSTANDING piece of work. I get tired just thinking about the work that goes into this mechanism. I could possibly make 10 flintlocks and maybe do a valve job on a Duesenberg in the time involved with this wheel lock. Here is a bit of trivia. If you were a teacher with what was then considered an advanced degree in the German speaking areas of Central Europe when this lock was a state of the art piece,it would eat up all of your wages for a year to buy it and then there would be the cost of the gun itself to worry about.
The Huntington Museum of Art has several fine examples of these with pearl inlays and in fine condition on display. This is in Huntington WV where I live and 10 minutes from my home.
As a long time machinist,mechanic and student of intriguing mechanisms,I congratulate you.

Bob Roller

welafong1

« Reply #256 on: December 05, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »
bob
you would be surprised how fast some parts of the wheel lock can be cut out of a cnc water jet my next part will be the main spring i am useing a pice off spring from a dump truck thats 3/4'' thick 31/2 ''wide and 7'' long a water jet i am also makeing engraver  the water jet has some limits one of them being cuting a square 1/8 hole the place were i have my work done can not do that i have to use a broach i could use a edm but that coast $90.00 the broach $65.00 i am still leraning how make a wheel lock i think about the men who did this type of work in the 15th centry the hours it took them drilling and cuting them .

Richard Westerfield

welafong1

« Reply #257 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »
raszpla

your work  amaze me you are some thing else .please keep the pictures coming
thank you

Richard Westerfield

welafong1

« Reply #258 on: December 06, 2011, 04:25:35 AM »
 hi
how much etching was done if any was done on a wheel locks or any other type of black powder fire arm ?
thank you

Richard Westerfield

blunderbuss

« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »

I assume you mean acid etching? I've seen it on wheelocks and European flintlocks. I think there is a set of Napoleons pistols rifle and pocket pistols that are acid etched . I was particularly impressed with the pocket pistols and the fine details they were able to accomplish

raszpla

« Reply #260 on: December 08, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »

raszpla

« Reply #261 on: December 08, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »

raszpla

« Reply #262 on: December 09, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »

greybeard

« Reply #263 on: December 09, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
Beautifull work. I get e headache just studying the pics,    Bob

raszpla

« Reply #264 on: December 09, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
when I start work at dawn, the headache I replace the satisfaction

kiedy o świcie zaczynam pracować , to wieczorem pozostaje tylko satysfakcja i ból pleców. Głowa mnie boli wówczas ,gdy nie pracuję!

greetings

Bolek

raszpla

« Reply #265 on: December 11, 2011, 03:59:46 PM »

blunderbuss

« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »

Raszpla
  Wesolych Swiat
 Blunderbuss

raszpla

« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Thank you, I also I wish merry Christmas.

raszpla

« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #269 on: December 18, 2011, 05:33:40 AM »
Razpla,
I now see why your locks work so well and mine did not.  That long dog spring and long foot on the dog pointed the direction it is explains how you get such good pressure on your wheel with the pyrite.  If I ever have occasion to build another I will remember that!  I will look at it many times more to fix it in my mind.  Thanks.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #270 on: December 18, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
Thank you for posting such good pictures... the sear on the lock I have is broken and apparently missing some pieces as well.  Your pics will really help me make new pieces.

welafong1

« Reply #271 on: December 30, 2011, 02:26:56 AM »
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv314/welafong1/DSCF0103.jpg
 just thought i would seen this picture of a main
spring cut out of a dump truck spring with a water jet
thanks for your ear
Richard Westerfield

raszpla

« Reply #272 on: December 30, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
niesamowite! widzę że możliwości współczesnych urządzeń są ogromne. Ale mimo wszystko musisz  rozumieć powód dla jakiego zmienia się przekrój sprężyny . Poprawny przekrój sprężyny, umożliwia jej właściwą pracę !

welafong1

« Reply #273 on: December 31, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
niesamowite! widzę że możliwości współczesnych urządzeń są ogromne. Ale mimo wszystko musisz  rozumieć powód dla jakiego zmienia się przekrój sprężyny . Poprawny przekrój sprężyny, umożliwia jej właściwą pracę !

your replay to me in English

amazing! Because I see the possibilities of modern equipment are huge. But spite of all you have to understand what changes the reason FOR THE section of the spring. The correct cross-section spring, allows it to work right! spring

if i understand you right you mean where are the part of the spring that has to be cut for Clarence well that will be done by hand i have found out that even though i cut it to the right size it is to strong of a spring i so i think i wate till i get the axel and chain do done the i will fit it and see if it will work

thank you
Richard Westerfield
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:19:13 AM by Richard Westerfield »

welafong1

« Reply #274 on: December 31, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
raspla
jeśli rozumiem, prawym to znaczy gdzie są część sprężyny, która powinna być odstawiona do Clarence dobrze, że będą wykonywane ręcznie i odkryli, że nawet i wyciąć go do odpowiedniego rozmiaru jest silnym działaniem sprężyny i więc myślę, że wate till i uzyskać axel i łańcucha nie odbywa się i dopasować go i zobacz, czy to będzie działać

dziękuję
 Richard Westerfield