Author Topic: Powder Horn?  (Read 5387 times)

Trager

Powder Horn?
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:32 AM »
I picked up a rifle the a few days ago. I posted it in the rifle section.
This horn and a metal flask were with the rifle. I did'nt get the flask, but did get this horn.
This is the first time I found a horn or flask with a rifle. This is also the only horn I've picked up.
I am clueless when comes to these. I am hoping your members can help me with a few questions. Is it old? What is it?
There is no spout. There is a ring around the tip. There was a piece cord or cloth hanging from the button, but was lost on the way home.

CF2075.jpg[/IMG]http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/militarynut/DSCF2071.jpg[/IMG]

Trager

Re: Powder Horn?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 02:16:37 AM »
albums/z429/militarynut/DSCF2075.jpg[/IMG]

Trager

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:17:51 AM »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:56:08 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 03:06:31 AM »
Is there a hole in the spout end? Can't tell by the photos although it appears that there may be a groove around the tip. If not, someone, (former owner of the rifle?), may have made a substitute for a powderhorn by taking a cowhorn and rigging it up to look like one for the purpose of displaying it with the rifle on a wall, or over a fireplace. Just my thoughts.
Dick

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:19:13 AM »
Ditto exactly on Dick's opinion..
TC
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline James

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »
there does appear to be quite a gap at 5 o'clock, in addition to no visible functioning tip
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:03:55 PM by James »
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:33 PM »
 With the two screws could it have been a storage horn? The plug looks old and may have been a friction fit at one time and the screws added by a later owner as the plug shrunk. The button may be a replacement, addition to a screw only finial. Being the curious type I would take the screws out and ease the plug out to see the inside.
 What are the dimensions on it?

Tim C.

PS: Could that space a 5 be a spot for a finger tip to pop the base out?TC  

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:52:58 AM by Tim Crosby »

Lee

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:45:21 AM »
Guys: I'd bet you it's an old movie prop.  I've seen a few non-functioning horns like it for movies made from 40 to 60 years ago. They didn't need to function, just look good on camera.... 
Lee

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
Good point, Lee. It could very well be a stage prop, and the gun with it could have been, too, even though it is real enough.
Dick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
Guys: I'd bet you it's an old movie prop.  I've seen a few non-functioning horns like it for movies made from 40 to 60 years ago. They didn't need to function, just look good on camera.... 
Lee

Would never have thought but I can see it now. Thanks Lee

Tim C.   

Horner75

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »
You know!..That button looks like the brass end of an old shotgun shell casing???

Rick

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:32:26 PM »
 I thought more like one piece of a Bachelor Button or a strap button off a pair of Bibbs.

Tim C.

Trager

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 01:20:30 AM »
Hi everyone.
Lot of thoughts flowing I see.
The length of the horn is around 12.5" almost 13".
The dia. is 3.5".
There is no hole in the tip, just a ring someone cut or filed around the tip.
I looked inside to see if there was anything, but there was'nt.
The reason I asked about this horn was because it was with the rifle I picked up, and there seems to be some patina to it. I thought about making a real powder horn or a blowing horn, but did not want to ruin something that was a relic. The inside looks pretty clean.
I liked the thought about the horn and rifle being  movie props, but
I thought that was unlikely being I picked these up near my home town
in Michigan. Not many movies made around here 50 or so years ago. The rifle was maker stamped on all of it's parts. A total of 13 times.