Author Topic: An untouched Leman flint rifle  (Read 4627 times)

Offline JV Puleo

An untouched Leman flint rifle
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:31 AM »
Last Sunday my brother-in-law called and asked if I'd take a look at this. I'm not terribly interested in this period but I took these photos (please pardon the something less than professional backgrounds) and offered to post them here. The rifle is for sale. The owner knows little or nothing about old guns and asked my nephew to help him dispose of it, which is how I came into the picture. If anyone is interested in following up on this they can PM me and I will provide the appropriate contact information.

It is in original flint and, aside from the chip at the rear of the lock, looks to have seen little use. The rifling is still deep... in fact, I'd probably shoot this one once or twice if it were mine. I especially like the carved jag end on the ramrod.

Offline Habu

Re: An untouched Leman flint rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:48:53 AM »
Nice--thanks for posting the pictures!  did you happen to note the caliber, and maybe the barrel length or overall length to help establish scale?

While I don't care for the hammer, I really like the lock.  It would be perfect for a rifle I've been mentally designing lately. 

Jim

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 04:11:07 AM »
Thanks for sending the pictures and posting the information with the ALR. Nice find. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:31:19 AM »
I wonder why H E Leman and Warranted are both double stamped, but Lancaster isn't.  Why would they bother screwing it up just because it's a little crooked.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:18:29 AM »
What an honest looking rifle!  It's kind of refreshing to see one in "attic-condition" now and then.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 04:48:49 AM »
I've sent a PM to everyone who inquired with the email of the contact person.

Joe P