Author Topic: I think I have origins of gun narrowed down  (Read 4973 times)

union son

I think I have origins of gun narrowed down
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »
It looks like my last thread has died, so I thought I'd start another. My last thread was titled "Help with ID of old muzzleloader" and the following links were provided for photos. http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/PA%20rifle%20photos/ and http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/

I've done alot of reading and looking at photos of PA long guns. After speaking with a member here who felt strongly that this is an Angstadt gun, specifically Joseph Angstadt, I agree that this gun is very much done in their style. I think it's definitely from Berks County. My ancestors lived in Maxatawny Twp, Berks Co, PA. That's where the Angstadts were from. When looking at photos of a Joseph Angstadt gun, I note that the styling of the patchbox is very similar. The shaping of the rear stock is very similar, including the cheekpiece. The sideplate is similar. The ramrod seat ("lower ramrod tube") is exactly the same. When you use Google, Bing, or Yahoo, this is the only gun that shows up when searching for "Joseph Angstadt" images.

Adam Angstadt was also in the Maxatawny Twp area and his work is similar. I think this is an Adam or Joseph Angstadt "buck and ball" gun made in the first 3 decades of the 19th century. I think it was made for a man of modest means as a "working gun".

I don't have the reference materials to study this beyond the internet. Any more thoughts?

union son

Re: I think I have origins of gun narrowed down
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 03:32:50 AM »
Also- note that the patchbox on my gun has no screws in it, not even any pins. Most of the examples I've compared it to have screws. What might that tell me?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:51:34 AM »
I am not seeing the same thing.  I see two screws in the patchbox finial and six pins in the sideplates... maybe one in the finial as well?????
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

union son

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:35 AM »
oops! I was going by my foggy memory and my photos of the patchbox (the poorest of the photos that I have taken). Yes, there are 2 screws, and lots of "pins". Still, I mostly see screws in other examples.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:22:56 AM »
This gun makes me think of Henry Mauger
Bob

union son

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:22 AM »
I just looked at some Henry Mauger examples and there is a strong comparison with his work and that of John Derr. More Berks county evidence. Thank you for your thought.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 04:05:34 PM »
Not to be disappointing, but what you know about the gun now, might be all you're going to know.
The gun, as nice as it is, and it is a nice gun, just doesn't have much of anything to attribute it to a specific maker beyond a reasonable doubt.

As you're seeing, there are several makers that might have made it, but there's nothing specific to conclude one or the other.

Sometimes things like engraving style, or even small things like the detail on a trigger guard can help identify a particular maker, but I'm not seeing anything beyond a doubt on your rifle.

But don't be disappointed! The majority of guns out there are made by 'maker unknown'. You've got a nice gun probably made around Berks Co, by a good maker, even if unknown, and sometimes that's as good as it gets. But that's not to say don't keep searching for that elusive clue!

John

John Robbins

union son

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »
Thanks, John. I tend to pursue these kinds of things until I find the answer or get frustrated and give up. I think I'm about ready to accept exactly what you said. I sure have learned alot, as it is.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Union,
    I wouldn't be quick to give up on an attribution.  There are Angstadt guns
and Mauger guns around in the hands of KRA members and other collectors.
Alot of these guys are older and don't post pictures on the internet or even
have computers.  Be patient, take your rifle to some longrifle shows and you
will likely get an opportunity to hold other Angstadts and Maugers and I think
you will solve your question.  Every maker had very subtle ways they did things.
My family punched 4 small circles across the steel and brass to hold their front sights
in.  It's been on every one of the 40 of their rifles that I have seen.
What a beautiful rifle you have and you are fortunate to have it.  I'm a descendant of the Shreckengost gunsmiths, but no
rifles were passed down through my side of the family.  I had to go hunt and buy
them.  Enjoy your rifle.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:42:50 AM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.