Author Topic: Banded Horn With One Pewter Band And Pewter/Antler Tip  (Read 9050 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Banded Horn With One Pewter Band And Pewter/Antler Tip
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:23:08 AM »
  This horn is about 13” around the oust side curve The base is American Holly colored with AF, it is about 2 1/4”, held in with  3 steel pins, the Pewter base band is also held with 3 steel pins as are the other two bands. The Antler collar is held on with 3 more pins. The Pewter tip is attached with 3 more.
 The idea for the horn came from Bill Ivey’s North Carolina School of Long Rifles 1765-1865 . It is also shown in Michael Briggs’ Piedmont North Carolina Banded Powder Horns Hunting Bags and Bullet Bags.

Tim C.    

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:08:23 PM by Tim Crosby »

eseabee1

Re: Banded Horn With One Pewter Band And Pewter/Antler Tip
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:32:02 AM »
Tim very nice you must have been reading my mind I have been thinking of doing on with a pewter band ..

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 02:11:58 AM »
That is one very nice horn!!!!!
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 02:43:52 AM »
I like this project. Looks great and would work great on week end over night trekking. Thanks for the posting. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Down South

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:23:28 AM »
Very nice, Tim.  Very clean.  Very, Very Southern!  Great Job.
Billy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:24:57 AM »
This horn is about 13” around the oust side curve The base is Dogwood colored with AF, it is about 2 1/4”, held in with  3 steel pins, the Pewter base band is also held with 3 steel pins as are the other two bands. The Antler collar is held on with 3 more pins. The Pewter tip is attached with 3 more.
 The idea for the horn came from Bill Ivey’s North Carolina School of Long Rifles 1765-1865 . It is also shown in Michael Briggs’ Piedmont North Carolina Banded Powder Horns Hunting Bags and Bullet Bags.

Tim C.
Tim,
Nice work, I had always wondered if anyone had tried to make horn rings out of pewter. I saw the one in Michael's book but I don't remember seeing any pewter rings used anywhere but around the butt. Have you seen or tried any on the mid section of a horn?
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:53:13 PM »
 Thanks for the Positive comments. I do need to make a correction, the base is not Dogwood but American Holly colored  with AF.

Dennis,
  I have only see one early horn with a Pewter band, the one I used for this horn, one band at base. I gave head reference and read about Pewter banded horns but the references may be to this one.
 Pewter bands are a PAIN to make, they do not form easily to the horn, like horn bands do. I guess if you had the time and a Lot of patients you could cast them on the horn but I don’t think a horner would have taken the time to do so unless it was for a commemorative piece. 
 I cut a piece out of a goblet to get the piece I needed, it is not straight but curved to fit. The ends are scarfed and soldered together, ever try soldering Pewter?
 My 2CW and experience with Pewter bands.

Tim C.

PS: I will probably not do another Pewter band BUT I May try casting 3 or 4 on a horn, we’ll see.TC   

eagle24

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
Very cool horn!

Horner75

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »
Tim, Nice job!...I really like the simple lines of this horn and the way everything goes together nicely!

Rick

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 04:56:22 AM »
Tim,

Nice horn...  One question and you'll see why soon.  How do you give pewter that aged look?  Mine is bright and shiny after polishing

Rich

Offline Down South

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 05:37:02 AM »
You can try this with pewter bands:  When using themas a base band, draw around the base of the horn on a bit of pine.  Chuck the pine in the lather and cut the line with a cut-off tool so that the line is the inside edge of the circle.  Cut as much as half an inch deep and about 1/8 inch wide.  Then take off the line half the width of the cut-off tool.  Take the pine down, melt some pewter, pour it into the grove and allow it to cool.  Once cool, turn out the INSIDE of the pewter ring.  Taper the ring to fit the butt of the horn as you  turn out the inside.  Then turn along the outside of the ring to free it from the pine.  Put the pewter ring on a mandril and shap as desired. 

I've done this several times for Fox Horns.  It takes a little practice, but it works great!  Hope it helps.
Billy

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
Billy,

That's exactly how I make my rings.  I want to know how to give them that tarnished look

Rich

Offline Down South

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Rich:
 I don't antique my work.  I generally leave that to the owner and time.  I have generally found that time and exposure is the greatest of antiquing techniques.  Nothing can replace the natural exposure to grime and air.
Have you ever tried doing relief to your pewter rings?  Pewter is easy to work and offers an oportunity to do some really fantastic work with a chasing hammer and graver.  Should you try, use care.  It takes a rather light touch.
Billy

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »
Tim,

Nice horn...  One question and you'll see why soon.  How do you give pewter that aged look?  Mine is bright and shiny after polishing

Rich

I use Super Blue, a few coats rubbed with 0000 steelwool between coats and waxed at the end.

Tim C.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »
You can try this with pewter bands:  When using themas a base band, draw around the base of the horn on a bit of pine.  Chuck the pine in the lather and cut the line with a cut-off tool so that the line is the inside edge of the circle.  Cut as much as half an inch deep and about 1/8 inch wide.  Then take off the line half the width of the cut-off tool.  Take the pine down, melt some pewter, pour it into the grove and allow it to cool.  Once cool, turn out the INSIDE of the pewter ring.  Taper the ring to fit the butt of the horn as you  turn out the inside.  Then turn along the outside of the ring to free it from the pine.  Put the pewter ring on a mandril and shap as desired. 

I've done this several times for Fox Horns.  It takes a little practice, but it works great!  Hope it helps.
Billy

Thanks Billy,  I knew there had to be a better way and had thought of something similar. I Will try your method.

Tim C.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 03:39:54 AM »
Tim
Like Billy I used poured bands but I poured them directly on the mandrel and then turned the bands. After removing the bands, I dressed them on the inside with a file to get them to fit as I wanted on the horn. I like Billy's way but I'm wondering about getting the band properly centered on the mandrel.

Steve
Steve Skillman

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 05:07:03 AM »
I keep reading about using mandrels...  Stupid Question ...

What are you referring to? Do you mean like the horn of an anvil??

Please realize I've only made three horns, working on#4.

Rich
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:11:49 AM by Chapple JR »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 05:22:41 AM »
Rich
The mandrel is a cone with a taper matching the horn, that is used to mount the horn or metal onto to turn the bands. It is turned in the lathe and you turn the bands to shape and then remove them and apply them to the horn. This is a rather simplified description. Hope it helps.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
 Here ya go Rich, this is what we are talking about. (Tool rest is off for the pic)

Tim C.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 08:57:05 PM »
COOL, THANX

GIVES ME ANOTHER REASON TO USE THE LATHE.  I I'vve just been making the band's with the taper already in it.  Had hoped to have this thing done and posted by now, but I'm on midnight shift  plus. 3hr drive both ways doesn't give much time

Rich

Tatonka

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
Very nice horn.  I collect NC items (Tarheel) and would be proud to have that horn hanging with one of my NC longrifles.