Author Topic: Copper Powder Measures  (Read 5515 times)

eagle24

Copper Powder Measures
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
How were original powder measures made from sheet copper joined at the seam?  I saw some contemporary measures made from copper (CLA Show) that appeared to be soldered.  Would solder be correct for an original?  When did solder become available?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Copper Powder Measures
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »

eagle24

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:25:49 PM »
Will this help?

http://www.ersa.com/soldering-history-en.html

Tim C.

Well it sure answers the question that solder was around.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
  You might think about a tin measure. They may be more PC.

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 04:38:50 AM »
This is not an attempt to incite an argument, I ask because I don't know- Why would tin be more PC than copper, when copper has been used by man since at least 9000 BC? Was it just not used for powder measures?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

camerl2009

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:23:07 AM »
tin is something i would not use as id rather use it to alloy my lead  :P

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
  I suggested tin because there are records of some gunsmiths suppling them with the gun, and there are surviving tin measures. The originals would have been hot dipped iron though. It was just a suggestion. Do as you want.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:11:09 PM »
This is not an attempt to incite an argument, I ask because I don't know- Why would tin be more PC than copper, when copper has been used by man since at least 9000 BC? Was it just not used for powder measures?

I would go with Wick on this one. The archaeological and historical records support tin measures. Cant say as I know of any copper ones. Maybe in more recent times. There may very well be some copper ones from the period but the availability of materials is not enough to solidly justify it as period correct.

Check out Jim Mullins' book "Of Sorts for Provincials" for a picture of a surviving tin one and check here http://www.hotdiptin.com/tinware for spot on repops for trade gun chargers at a good price.

James

eagle24

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
  You might think about a tin measure. They may be more PC.

Thanks Wick.  I think there are some sketches of tin measures in Jim Webb's book.  Were they soldered? brazed?

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »
  They would have been soldered I would think.  I can see no need for a high strength joint.