Author Topic: Old Hunting Pouch  (Read 4099 times)

Tatonka

Old Hunting Pouch
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »

Beavertail flap has fur on it, but I am unsure as to what type.  Some of it was found inside the bag and is stiff as a board.  The bag itself is leather except for the flap, which is a cloth backing with fur sewn onto the outside.  The bag is brittle and very hard.  There is a knife scabbard sewn onto the backside, but the knife is missing.  I am unsure what the pouch sewn onto the strap was for.  I'm sure somebody here will have an idea.  It has a rounded shape.  Quick access to bullets or patching material maybe?  It also has a horn powder measure with a constellation type design on it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:09:22 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Old Hunting Pouch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
Very nice.  Rarely are these posted on the forum.  Thanks for sharing.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Tatonka

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »
Your very welcome.  Think of all the treasures that stay locked away in somebody's house.  People don't get to enjoy them unless they are photographed or unless they get brought to a show.  And even then, many shows have restricted membership and it can be a pain to get a table, etc.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:19:05 PM »
 Really neat bag. I rotated it  to make it easier to view, hope you don't mind.

Tim C.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
I especially like that the measure and vent pick are with it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
That is so cool. Hard to find pics of old bags like that. I just wonder how old it is. :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
Boy oh boy, if that bag could only talk!!! Frank

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
I am unsure what the pouch sewn onto the strap was for.....

Perhaps a holder to store the powder measure?  It would keep it from flopping around while on the move, but it's attached in case it came out of the holder.  I have similar on my pouch strap.

Thanks for posting it, it's a rare treat to see an original pouch.  And welcome to ALR, Tatonka, you are fitting in very well here!

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »
 The pouch on the strap, I thought I had seen one like it before but cannot find it now, it may have been a contemporary piece. Could it have been for a priming (I know)/cap horn?

Tim C.   

Tatonka

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 11:46:17 PM »
The pouch on the strap, I thought I had seen one like it before but cannot find it now, it may have been a contemporary piece. Could it have been for a priming (I know)/cap horn?

Tim C.   

Boy, future archeologists are going to be severely confused when it comes to this stuff.  :D