Author Topic: Barrel stamp and muzzle  (Read 2088 times)

holzwurm

Barrel stamp and muzzle
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:31 PM »
While trying to glue together the shattered half stock rifle I bought a couple of years ago I discovered a couple of things this morning. It's undoubtedly a hand made piece and there are a lot of file marks on the bottom flat's.  The barrel has "H O W" stamped on the face of the breech and you can see where the snail has been welded on. I think it's a pretty neat job. What with the graceful patch box, the checkering around the wrist, and the engraving at the barrel breech I think this was probably a fairly expensive rifle at one time.  The barrel was fixed to the stock with one wedge through oval brass inlet's and a screw at the tang.

The muzzle measures out to .45 and has this six sided bore (6 Lands & Grooves)

Has anyone seen this H O W stamp.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Barrel stamp and muzzler
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:25:49 AM »
I've seen a lock marked h o wilds.... If I could see the rest of the gun I could make a comparison
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:26:47 AM by suzkat »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.