Author Topic: Early checkering on English guns  (Read 5024 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Early checkering on English guns
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:17:50 AM »
Hi,
Has anyone seen an original 18th century English sporting gun with a round-faced flintlock that also had checkering on the wrist?  If you have, could you point me to a photo or reference?

Thanks,

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Early checkering on English guns
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
You might find something in Flintlock Fowkers by Grinslade (sp?)
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Dave,

Yes I have but it was mostly on later 18th century guns that either had a replacement lock, replaced stock or was a cheaper end gun of same vintage using an older lock. The last one that comes to mind was a half stocked, c1780's waterfowling gun utilizing a 1720's era lock IIRC.

I can dig you out some pictures when I can get to my PC but I cannot remember many higher end guns made that way when the round face was very popular. I believe the flatter plates had taken the lead by the time the checkering was coming in with any authority. I would think the most would be found right at very late third quarter or beginning fourth.

As Taylor pointed out you can refer to Flintlock Fowlers. Although that Grinslade book only contains about 4 English guns, there is a big duck gun in there on page 171 with a round  lock marked Wilson and the early lines on the wrist. I personally think it is a little bit later than the c1760 estimate given.

I have heard a few others throw out a 1760 time frame for early checkering. I tend to lean about ten years later with what I've seen to date but am willing to have my opinion changed. Just have not seen enough to suit me yet. Would be interested in your opinion as well.

James

PS. Just rememberd one Keith Neal owned that had a Grice marked lock on it. Will try and locate a pic as well.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:10:31 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
The most used type of checkering for that period was  8 lines  to the inch and no more than ten like all English checkering it was flat topped and some had a dimple in each square . It also only covered the wrist area ,not like later where it was cut smaller at 16 to 18 lines to the inch and extended to the tail of the trigger guard .I have enclosed a image which may be of some help which originally started has a flinter and converted to percussion using the drum and nipple principle
Feltwad

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:15:38 PM by Feltwad »

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
Thanks, Feltwad, for posting those photos!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 03:48:49 PM »
You'll also find early guns with checkering that was added later when it became in style.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/LotDetailsPrintable.aspx?intObjectID=3103148

Number 58 in this photo is believed to be a Mortimer.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
Thank you James and Feltwad for the photos, and thanks Taylor and Mike for the info.  You guys are very helpful.  Interestingly, the only other photo I have seen of a fowler with round-faced lock and checkered wrist is another big duck gun.  It certainly appears that flat-faced locks were the norm by the time checkering came into fashion.   James, those are great photos.  The second gun looks like it has some sort of pseudo-military or trade gun lock from the 1770s. 

Thanks again everyone,

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."