Author Topic: 1st real build, it only took 30 years  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
1st real build, it only took 30 years
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:19:32 AM »
I built a couple of rifles from kits in the mid 70's, a H&A Minuteman and a CVA Mountain Rifle.  I bought this kit, an Astorian, from Green River Forge in the mid 70's when I was in High School.  It took me this long to complete it.  There were a lot of issues with the kit.  The ramrod hole had been drilled up into the barrel channel, the walnut stock was pretty twisted.  Some years back I fixed these using acraglass.  After inletting the barrel there was a gap on one side of the barrel.  I used the Acraglass to fix the ramrod hole and try and fix the gap between the barrel and stock.  The kit included a Haddaway lock and TC set triggers.  I don't remember who supplied the barrels for Green River Forge.  The barrel is unmarked.  Does anyone have any ideas on who the barrel supplier might be.

The stock is walnut, stained with Jim Klein's redish brown stain and finished with LMF Permalyn knocked down with 0000 steel wool.  The metal was browned using RE Davis' browning.

I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum that asked questions and special thanks to those of you who provided answers.  I would never have gotten this done without your help.

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

rex

Re: 1st real build, it only took 30 years
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:24:14 AM »
Hi: looks good. Maybe there will be enough time to build another. Rex

George F.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:26:18 AM »
It looks like a nice job, plain, but really nice. Allot better than my 1st.   ...Geo.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »
A blast from the past. I made one with a Siler lock some 30 yrs. ago. Cherry stock.  7/8th 45. cal . Douglas barrel.  Mine has replacemnt parts. Whoever owns it now. Probably see it on Track of the Wolf.

fullcircle

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:04:14 AM »
Looks like a good hunting style gun.What cal.?

Offline Tim Harrison

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 06:20:51 AM »
It's a .50.  I have yet to get it to the range.  I hope to get out soon, the weather here is still pretty good.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
There used to be a Green River rifle barrel company.   I do not remember whether they were bought out or what.  For a while one could get straight barrels from several manufacturers, Montana barrels, Green River and Douglas.  Most went under or went to modern.  Geen Mountain is now busy making modern barrels and dropping some good ML sizes.   I remember seeing the Asmore advertised.  You did fine on it.  I finally finished a gun after about a 10-15 year layoff.  Feels good to be back.

DP

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »
Northmn.....The "Green River Barrel Company" you mention was probably "Green River Rifle Works", in Roosevelt, Utah. They made barrels, complete guns, and kits. Their "Hawken" rifles were about as good as a factory repro gets. They also had a powder mill, which led to their demise. It blew up, killing several people. The powder they made was excellent, comparing well with Swiss powder.  I still have a couple of pounds of it. I also have a GRRW Hawken in .58 caliber that has never been finished. It had been in a time warp in Alaska for about 30 years.

northmn

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 04:37:22 PM »
I had a Green River barrel on a gun that shot very well although no better than any of the other better barrels such as Douglas premiums.  They had their following.  My memory on these companies is kind of shaky as there were a lot of them.  For a while it seemed like everyone was making Hawkens and Hawken parts.  Some good some iffy. 

DP

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »
GRRW barrels are wonderfully accurate. I've had two. One was a .58, 34" X 1/18" that ended up on a Hawken - quite heavy, but those hooks were not pleasant. This butt looks much better in that regard, TSH.  The barrel would not shoot accurately at 100 yards with less than 140gr. 2F GOX 2F or 170gr. of C&H 3F (same ballistics - chronograph). With enough powder it would hold sub 2" off the bench. It even liked my modified minnies - the 460gr. thickened skirt to 480gr..
The .69 English-styled gun also had a GRRW barrel and it would hold 1 1/2" or better at 100 meters off the bags.  Both of these barrels needed to be fed well, but man, did they ever produce in the accuracy department.
I'd love to have another today - but alas - they are few and far between.
You are most fortunate to have a 'new' one today, tsh - I suggest you take the time to find out what it's MOST accurate load is and shoot her as much as possible.  Nice rifle - clean and styled very nicely. Good job on the 'fixes'.