Author Topic: Carolina Gun Completed  (Read 19494 times)

Offline duca

Re: Carolina Gun Completed
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Awesome! Looks great...
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

woodburner

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 06:21:15 AM »
I think it looks great  English walnut is a beautiful wood;the patina on the
metal and wood is just right, did you use "pyrographic" effecys on the wood?  The  wrist line is a thing of beauty, adds a sense of refinement,
it silms down the blockier butt.  My eyes see a very nice piece of art and
one to be proud of.

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 08:08:02 AM »
I'll start by saying I know NOTHING about "Carolina" guns but I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here, especially since both Bill Shipman and Mike Brooks have commented without mentioning the wrist line, but, to my untrained eye, the wrist line doesn't look quite right. It seems to me that the wrist line, as it flows through the buttstock, would look better if it more closely followed the belly of the butt rather than curving /converging. The way it is it looks as if the wrist, were it to continue, would come to a point just before the butt plate and as such, goes against the flow. As I said, I know NOTHING about Carolina guns so take this with a block of salt. The only other thing that my untrained neophyte eye noticed was that the rear point on the side plate panel doesn't quite flow as my eye says it should. It appears as if the last 3/16 to 1/4" of the panel (as it come to a point) is 'bent' upward and would flow better with perhaps +-1/16" less wood left on the last +-1/4" of the the top line to eliminate the slight upcurve and perhaps +-1/8" more on the last +-3/32" of the bottom line to eliminate the somewhat abrupt curve in that last +-3/16". I'm quite certain that I'm wrong in my observations but that's how I see it. It is a great gun overall and you should be very pleased with it. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 06:41:47 AM »
I want to say thanks again to all the comments, all are appreciated!  I would like to mention David Rase's ideas on the rear sight are dead on.  (no pun intended)

Woodburner - no pyrographics on the wood, the "soiled" effects were achieved by black tempra paint powder.  Some was sprinkled on wet finish, some was mixed with finish and applied with an artist's brush.  Either method it was rubbed back with fine steel wool and denim.  The paint powder actually gives a dimensional effect.  The finish was two coates of linseed oil followed by six or so of Chambers oil finish.

Cody - your comments on the contour of the wrist are correct, you are not so far out on that limb!  The diminishing curve was a product of my mind's eye, likely an artistic notion, that is not true to the originals.  I struggled considerably with the wrist termination and will endeavor to make the next gun more historically correct.  As far as the side panel is concerned.... I'm not quite sure of what idea you are trying to convey but I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline little joe

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
  I know this is a contemporary board where a lot of liberties are taken but it appears to me that you have a pretty good interpration  of a Type G. Remember the G is a general type that was made by several different makers over several years of time span. The Museum of the Fur Trade has a new book out (135dollars) which has a few type G,s in it and it shows several with different Cal.bbl.legnth ect. A very good book for a trade gun reference I,m going to do a type G  and if it turns as good as yours I,l be a big smiley face.L. Joe

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 01:32:03 AM »

As far as the side panel is concerned.... I'm not quite sure of what idea you are trying to convey but I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Try this, put a piece of paper along the the bottom of the panel in this picture starting where the curve straightens out and heads toward the rear point. You will see that the line makes an abrupt turn just 2/26" or so just before it reaches the point which raises the point. If you put that piece of paper along the top of the panel to the point, there is just a sliver of wood that curves up about 1/4" before the line reaches the point which also raises the point. If these two lines were carried syraighter to the point the point would be a bit lower on the wrist and the panel would flow into the wrist better..........IMO ;D

J1776

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »
Great job on your Type G!
 ;)

dannybb55

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
I guess this makes you a Carolina Fan of at least a TarHeel?

eagle24

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 01:08:57 AM »
Let me first say that only a moron would.........oh wait, nevermind!  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I missed this back in October when you posted it.  Very cool!  I don't know anything about this type gun, but I like it a lot.  Really like the crooked osage ramrod.  I've got a couple of longbows that would match it pretty well.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2011, 07:57:13 AM »
Cody - I get what you are saying now. Your comment would be dead on with a rifle, however the trade guns were quick built bottom of the barrel get it done and make profit kind of guns.

J1776 and GHall - thanks for the good words!

Dannybb55 -  ;D

I took the Type G deer hunting several days during rifle and muzzle loader season this year.  I never had a chance to shoot a deer with it, however I did take a pot shot at a coyote trotting through the woods at about 125 yards.  I missed of course but couldn't pass it up.   ::)

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

dannybb55

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Where do I find a ruler in 26ths of an inch?

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 05:04:40 AM »
Congratulations on a job well done! Any trade gun enthusiast would be proud to carry that gun. The only criticism I have is, as Micah noted, the grain flow of the wood in the wrist makes the stock weak at that point. You might want to consider installing a steel rod through the wrist for reinforcement against splitting.