Author Topic: need some last minute help  (Read 3373 times)

Offline wvmtnman

need some last minute help
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:35:05 AM »
Buck season starts here in WV this comming Monday.  I have been shooting 85 gr of ffg, a .530 ball and .015 patch,  in my .54 rice barrel.  That load works great for punching paper but wanted a little more for shooting a deer.
   A couple years ago I shot a deer with that load and had it run quite a way.   This will be my first opportunity to hunt deer since then and did not want a repeat.
  How much could I up my powder charge before the point of impact begins to change.  I plan on testing it out at the range before taking it hunting but was just looking for a starting point.   

Thanks, Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline 490roundball

Re: need some last minute help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:00:42 AM »
may we ask where it was hit? and how far away?

I am absolutely no ballistic expert,  but 70 grains under a .490 ball has knocked deer off their feet. 

But then again,  I hit one once with a Ford that ran out of sight,   ;D    placement may not be everything, but its most of it
"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Ghillie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:01:44 AM »
I have 3, .54 caliber rifles and use 90-100 grains with a .535 ball.  I've taken deer with them out to 125 yards.  The fact the last one ran a ways probably had nothing to do with the load.  Even heart shots can result in a 50-100 yard run.  Unless the central nervous system is interrupted, they run till they bleed out.  If you want instant drop, take neck shots.

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:22:27 AM »
OK, I think I will stick with my load.  I am hunting in a place where my farthest shot would be 50-60 yards.  The last one I shot was a lung shot at close to 100 yards.  I would say it ran close to 300 yards before I caught up with it.  By the amount of blood on the ground and the sides of the trees by the trail, I was surprised that it went that far.
                                                                             Brian
B. Lakatos

lakehopper

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 03:34:12 AM »
I have been shooting 80 grains 2f, .530 ball with an oiled .20 patch in a Getz barrel 42 inches long and I am getting tighter groups both at 60 yards, 50, and 25. It was suggested to me to go with a larger patch and I am glad I did, I too plan on hunting Pa Deer with this load and feel very comfortable with this oad.

Just a suggestion

Glenn

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:28:25 AM »
Buck season starts here in WV this comming Monday.  I have been shooting 85 gr of ffg, a .530 ball and .015 patch,  in my .54 rice barrel.  That load works great for punching paper but wanted a little more for shooting a deer.
   A couple years ago I shot a deer with that load and had it run quite a way.   This will be my first opportunity to hunt deer since then and did not want a repeat.
  How much could I up my powder charge before the point of impact begins to change.  I plan on testing it out at the range before taking it hunting but was just looking for a starting point.   

Thanks, Brian

Deer seldom fall down at the shot.
I have had several perfectly hit deer run 150-200 yards. One was shot with a 44-90-400 Sharps that was "very effective" on anything still the doe ran off like she was unhit.
Shooting more powder will not cure this.
I shot a Mule Deer doe at 40 yards or so with a .662 ball MV 1600 fps. Base of the throat. Made a huge cavity where the top of the heart was. Blood and tissue was ejected from the wound back toward the gun. Deer turned 90 degrees and ran 55 long steps leaving a blood trail like a paint spill.
I have had a MD buck shot with 120 gr of FFF and a 530 ball perfect lung shot, holes though both lungs about 1 1/2" in diameter and so clean they looked like they were cut with a sharp punch. Deer kicked and ran about 50 yards. Shot a WT doe with 535 and 100 gr of FFF at about 30 yards. Through all the heavy shoulder muscles just under the bone. Turned about 90 degrees and made 200 long steps and piled up feet only touched the ground 10 times after the shot. I have seen them go about as far shot with 7mm Rem Mag or similar.
The typical deer will run 40 yards then fall. Shot with a popgun or eargensplittenloudenboomer does not matter. Unless the spine/brain is shocked they run most of the time. 140-150 yards with a 50 RB 40 yards about like the does shot with the .662 at 40 yards.
If you want them stopped in their tracks use head shots.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »
Thanks for all the help.  I just wanted to hear a couple thoughts I guess.  I use to shot the rifle often.  I think it has been over a year since I shot it.  I plan on hunting in a small section of small growth timber, so the farthest shot would be 50 -60 yards, this should help too.
                                                                              Brian
B. Lakatos