Author Topic: Joseph Goulcher  (Read 4199 times)

Online Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Joseph Goulcher
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:03:17 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has done a study on the locks produced by Joseph Goulcher with a timeline
on the different styles produced?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

msmith

Re: Joseph Goulcher
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »
 The most I have seen on Golcher/Goulcher is on pages 289-298 in Volume II " Great Gunmakers for the Early West " by James Gordon. These are a 3 volume boxed set. If you can find a set, buy them. Some of the best pictures of Guns & Locks and much info. , When I seen his name on the books I bought them. Many years ago he wrote the greatest book ever on the Winchester 1873 ( my opinion) . He even out did himself with these books.

msmith

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 02:20:17 AM »
 " Great Gunmakers for the Early West" collectorsfirearms.com did have a set listed on their website. You can get a idea of the quality of pictures/info from there.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:52:27 AM »
Rob,
I don't have an actual timeline for Golcher, just have 10-12 rifles with Golcher locks on them ranging from bar locks to back action in various configurations. My rifles range from 1850 through 1880's. There's a lot of information available that can probably answer your questions.
Mark
Mark

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 04:44:43 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had done a very specific timeline showing the different
lockplates and when they were produced.  Somebody with knowledge like
Joe Puleo has of the Ketland locks.  It seems like every fourth rifle I see has a
Golcher on it.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 03:22:57 PM »
I had a new Goulcher lock,a left hand caplock that was never on a gun and it was a clunker to use an automobile term. No set trigger ever made could fire it and I'm not sure about a single trigger either. Over the years I have seen a number of these on rifles and the quality was usually a step above wretched,certainly not anything I would want my name on. My maternal grandfather told me about seeing boxes of "gunsmith's"locks in hardware stores when he was young and he said they sold for 50 cents each,your choice.
He was born in 1873 and died in 1972 on his great grandson's 2nd birthday.

Bob Roller

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:03:50 AM »
There was a large Goulcher/Golcher family in the B'ham gun trade... all described as being "Gun Lock Makers." I'd be astonished if it wasn't the same family. They appear on the American market just as the Ketland's are disappearing - dying off would be more appropriate. My own feeling is that they saw a market reopening and jumped at it. We know at least one, and probably more emigrated. Whether they actually made locks here or imported them and said they made them here is a question. Were it not that they actually claimed to be making them here, I'd just presume they were all English made. I suspect that they may have started importing lock and gone on to importing parts and finishing them here - provided the members of the family that did emigrate had the proper skills. Its very difficult to say from this distance in time. They would have said them made them here whether they did or not and this would have been a perfectly acceptable business practice for the time.

John Dent Goodman relates a story of being underbid on a lock order while in Philadelphia around 1853/54... he went to see what American could possibly underprice him and found a member of a family he knew. In fact, he claimed he would have ordered the locks from them had he gotten the order. Unfortunately he does not mention the name but the story he relates was that this gentleman had emigrated only to discover he could not find work ... he was a lock finisher. He was importing rough parts and finishing them himself in order to survive. I've often wondered if it was one of the Golchers.

There is also some issue with materials. Gun locks used a good bit of steel that wasn't made in the US. A major bone of contention with the National Armories was that all the steel for locks, bayonets and ramrods was imported. The politicians were constantly demanding that the armories "buy American" and the Ordnance Department was just as consistently refusing to do so because the quality of American steel was so low that a huge percentage of parts were rejected. A civilian maker would have had to import his materials too. Between the cost of materials and the lack of skilled workmen it was effectively impossible to manufacture locks in the US. Remember, even Colt, had to import his steel as did Remington for his steel barrels. The primary material, crucible steel - or "cast steel" was never successfully made here.

Online Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:01:12 AM »
Ahhh... clear, concise, supported information, how refreshing.  Thanks Joe.
A study on Goulchers when you finish with Ketlands?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 02:11:44 AM »
I am thinking of doing something on the overall gun lock trade as part of the Ketland study. Its all dependent on a big research initiative I hope to undertake next year but, unfortunately, it will involve a lot of traveling to the regional NA offices. I don't know, at this point, if I can even afford to do it... but its necessary to the Ketland work. If my suppositions are correct, I will be finding a lot more than the Ketland material... and I will be photographing all of it. The result could literally take a year or two to sort out so nothing is going to happen fast.