Author Topic: Green Mountain .40 Test Barrel  (Read 5330 times)

SPG

Green Mountain .40 Test Barrel
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
Gentlemen,

Credit where credit is due.

The .40 Green Mountain 1 1/8" test barrel arrived yesterday and I slugged it this morning. I was very impressed with the uniformity from breech to muzzle; a noticeable lack of tight and loose spots. I had prepared myself for a lapping job but other than possibly removing some wire edge I don't believe this barrel will need much in the way of pre-shooting preparation.

We should be pinching ourselves that for $130.00 one can order, with a reasonable delivery-time, a barrel of this quality. I dabbled in barrel making while at Ballard and I can tell you we would not have been able to even come close to this price. Hats off to Green Mountain for an excellent product.

Steve

Daryl

Re: Green Mountain .40 Test Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »
My 42" X 7/8" .45 GM barrel is a tack driver at 50 yards - well, if the tacks have 3/8" heads, that is.  I am amazed at it's accuracy, each time I bench it.

roundball

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »

Credit where credit is due......the .40 Green Mountain...Hats off to Green Mountain for an excellent product.

Amen...every GM barrel I've ever had has been the proverbial tack driver:
Two .40s, a .45 and a .58.....even their .54 & .62cal smoothbore barrels are excellent with PRBs;

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »
Yes, They are good. I asked Branch one time when he still owned GM, what he found the
most accurate load was in a 40. He looked at me and said, anything from 45-65 Goex FFF.
and about a .395-.400 ball. He said the heaver charges just buck the wind a little better.
The Pistol Shooter

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »
I have had two custom barrel makers tell me they dont know how Branch does it as his barrels were as smooth and uniform as most custom jobs and shoot great. We are lucky today to have so many really good barrel makers out there and GM is one of them.      Smylee

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Yes they are slicker than snot when new, and they get better in a few dozen rounds.  With my .50, the load development was difficult because I couldn't find anything that really shot badly -- good problem to have.  The cleanup is really easy with them, too.  Looking forward to seeing your results with the stock 11/8" x36"x.40 barrel -- I've had my eye on those.  They are about the right weight for offhand -- for me :)!

roundball

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 12:08:49 AM »
My .40cal Late Lancaster has a straight GM 13/16" x 38" barrel...has plenty of heft...great at the range, hope to christen it on a squirrel this week

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
i have used many green mountain barrels they all shot very good,
keep up the good work.....

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
I just picked up another new 40 cal GM drop in for a TC....I havnt shot it yet but its looks awesome inside better then the ones I have on hand now even,the finish on the outside is ever better than others I have...I like them very well for the price

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 01:49:50 PM »
Hi Steve,
The barrel sounds like a great test bed for your experiment.  I'm looking forward to the actual testing and the process you go through.  I hope you will document your steps and proceedures as you do this.  At last we're using sound science and careful steps to learn.  My complements.
Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 02:50:50 PM »
I  too look forward to your testing. I just received another 15/16th  40cal GM for an underhammer I  am putting together  for a grandchild.
Gene

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
This 1-1/8" 40 caliber barrel, is it for a ball or a bullet?? I made a neat facsimile of a Carlos Gove rolling block with one of those,made a reamer and chambered it for a slightly modified version of the 40-85 Ballard.
For the price they cost,they are a bargain and are made from a material modified for gun barrels.

Bob Roller

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
Steve - what length will the cone be? Have you decided yet? I was wondering if it will be as some make them, like 1 1/2" long or a shorter taper. As you are going to cut it on your lathe, it can be any length and angle you want.
I realize it's just a blank right now, .40 X 48" twist.