Author Topic: Brennan pistol  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Ben I. Voss

Brennan pistol
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:50:40 PM »
Talk about "man jewelry" - check out the Jud Brennan pistol on the blog! http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Brennan pistol
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »
The pistol is closely based on the work of Jacob Young.  Particularly the most recently discovered example of his work - the rifle that was found in New Orleans -that has been on display at the CLA show the past two years.

Young's metal work is impressive, to say the least, and Jud has done a nice job of conveying the feel of Young's style and skill.  If you like that style, there is also a pistol by Frank House that has been featured on the blog spot and several publications (I think you can see it on Larry Pletcher's website that has the "Artistry in Unison"article) that was also based closely on Jacob Young's rifles; Frank's evoking more of the feel of the "Woodfork" rifle - a bit more reserved in decoration, but equally elegant.

You can do a search here on ALR for "Jacob Young Rifles at CLA" - I think the postings were all in the "Antiques" section - and find a series of postings with photos of the rifles that these pistols were influenced by.

Guy
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:48:54 PM by G-Man »

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
That's just incredible.  I'm not sure if it makes me want to work to get better or throw my hands up in surrender and go back to decoys.   :o
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
This pistol was displayed at the last CLA show in Lexington,Ky. I am proud to tell one and all I made that lock and the triggers look like mine also. Mr.Brennan and I talked for a while and he asked me to make another lock like this one and a similar left handed lock using the L&R small Manton externals.
I own the moulds the external parts for this lock are made from. They produce authentic plates,cocks and frizzens for the Bailes lock.
This is an elegant pistol and the double set triggers make it an unusual one as well.

Bob Roller   

Online Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:18:08 PM »
Wonderful artistry, not doubt about it. And far, far about what I will likely ever do. But I find the pitting of the lock and barrel distracting since the wood and other metals do not show similar level of treatment.  I generally like a contemporary piece with some added “patina” but a piece like this is better showcased with less in my opinion.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
Just for fun here are some links to the original work of Jacob Young, and also the Frank House pistol.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=12015.0

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2009/07/frank-lally-house-artistry-in-unison.html

Guy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
Osprey, DON'T throw up your hands and quit.
I have felt like that in the past but kept whittleing and hacking and improving my skills. My inspiration to do better came from a long time admiration for a rifle made by Nathan Whitmore for General Grant. It is not a "long rifle"in the strictly defined sense of the words but no one with one eye still working can deny the craftsmship of it. My specialty is locks with triggers as sort of a "tag along"item My inspiration in that endeavor came from the fine work seen in top grade locks from England.
Locks can and do combine the skills of a machinist,tool maker,artist and bench filer and blacksmith.
None of those come overnight but to quote a line from Chief Dan George in a movie,"Endeavour to Persevere". In modern jargon,"hang in there".
My gunmaking is defined by a joke saying I can take $600 worth of parts and make the best $40 gun you"ve ever seen. 

Bob Roller

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
I really love the pistols with double set triggers made by Frank and Hershel House, this one by Brennan runs rings around them :o :o :o :o
Does anyone know if the set trigger is made from scratch or did he modify a kit? Who made the barrel? What size is it (length, and caliber)?

Best regards

Rolf

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 08:04:09 PM »
If the triggers are mine,they are milled from bar stock and have no piano wire springs,roll pins or cadmium plated screws.When I have it on hand,I use Starrett or Sheffield flat ground O-1 for the triggers and almost always pins from drill rod. On trigger bars of 1/2"width,I sometimes make screws for the triggers to pivot on.

Bob Roller

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:28:23 PM »
It could be the sidekick of that Jacob Young rifle -- I was just about to put it up here, but I got a late start.  I wish he had used a double-throated cock (as Frank House does, following JY's example on the two original flintlocks we have), and a smaller, gold front sight, and lightened up on the aging -- none of the original brass Jacob Young rifles have suffered that much corrosion of the barrel and lock, but it is exquisite work and very faithful to the original inspiration.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
I'm inspired. Total artistic balance. The eye hits the total piece. THEN you enjoy the details.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
so is that a cut down rifle guard?
i have stretched Leman guards to fit double set triggers,
never tryed one like that before.. ???
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:42:12 PM »
No - I'm pretty sure Jud made the pattern and cast that guard himself.  It is very unique, as is the one on Frank's Jacob Young inspired pistol. 

GM

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 12:48:49 AM »
First of all let me say that I am not questioning anyone's ability here or the quality of their work. But I have seen several rifles and this pistol that have the metal aged but yet the stock is nearly perfect. Why? If you age one why not both? Or, if you're not trying to create something that looks 200 years old why bother to age one and not the other?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:59:41 AM »
Matter of taste I suppose. In my own work I choose to age the wood as well, unless the customer objects, and many do.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:04 AM »
I think the best explanation is that there really isn't an attempt to make the piece look like an aged original.  In my view the corrosion and patina is used to create variations in texture and color that add to the appeal of the piece.  I think it was perhaps Mark Silver who compared this to texture and finish used on arts and crafts metal furniture hardware.  The metal treatment Hershel House typically uses falls into this category as well.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
I think the best explanation is that there really isn't an attempt to make the piece look like an aged original.  In my view the corrosion and patina is used to create variations in texture and color that add to the appeal of the piece.  I think it was perhaps Mark Silver who compared this to texture and finish used on arts and crafts metal furniture hardware.  The metal treatment Hershel House typically uses falls into this category as well.   
Interesting. The metal surface finish being an art form in it's self.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »
Agreed Jim. But it seems to me that it would have had a greater effect if the "gold" inlay were placed on a lockplate that had been blued or a nice soft browning instead of what Jud used. The contrast between inlays and wood on the stock is outstanding but the "gold" on the lockplate seems to get lost against the aged background. Could be the photography too!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:00:17 AM by Clowdis »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:14 AM »
I guess much of this comes down to personal taste.  I will say that this sort of gold inlay done in the style of Jacob Young is likely not easy to pull off in an appealing manner.  I think this work is much more succesful than that on the original gold inlaid Young rifle.  As another example of gold work, look at the rifle Jud made for Gordon Barlow.  This is in "Three Centuries of Tradition".  Working off memory, this gold work is much more stylized and I think the corrosion or patina may be a little lighter.  See what you think.

Offline bgf

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
Jim,
You've almost changed my mind about the aging on this piece.  I don't think it is because JY's work was not successful, but because it might be almost too much for some to take in a work that stands alone.  Those few of us who have some slight familiarity with the rifle and the historical culture of the south may not see the inlay the same way as a viewer who sees only the pistol, but it has to work that way as well, perhaps primarily.  Since you stated something similar long ago, I've agreed with you about aging -- it is not so much about indicating age as it is bridging between dissonant old and new forms, materials, techniques, and expectations.  In this case, it may be the best way to do that successfully.

Hope this opinion is not out of place. 

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 06:11:27 AM »
"I will say that this sort of gold inlay done in the style of Jacob Young is likely not easy to pull off in an appealing manner.  I think this work is much more succesful than that on the original gold inlaid Young rifle."

I couldn't agree more.